January 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(Liz ) #121

I tell you what though, I used the red ones as a sub for potatoes in a beef stew I cooked for hours & I’m the end all I could taste was radish, ruined it for me! I even roasted the rest of the radishes on recommendation & NOPE, gross. I think I’m just super sensitive to radishes :woman_shrugging: I cant eat cilantro either

(Liz ) #122

Hey I’m at 64:35! :+1: I felt so droopy & spacy yesterday & I think it was a salt issue. I tried to keep up with it but maybe just didn’t do enough? Or maybe it was just day 2 syndrome, I don’t know. This morning I’m full of pep, is it because I know I’ll be eating tonight?? Or are the endorphins just kicking in?

Sorry your sleep stinks, that’s rough.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #123

That’s where I’m at right now. Trying to fight it. :policeman:

(Liz ) #124

It’s a weird feeling, I was so low key yesterday I couldn’t get anything done! I don’t know that I love fasting but I don’t know how else to do this so I persist. Have you tried, like 48 hour fasts more frequently? I’m thinking of trying that weekly though as I understand it, there are benefits to going at least three days.

(Dawn) #125

Just learned something. I am going to see if I can find Daikon and try to use it in a recipe that calls for potatoes

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #126

I haven’t yet but that’s on my list for February. I did a 72 last week, a 96 this week and I’ll follow up with another 72 next week and I’m think I’m done for the month of January.

(Dawn) #127

ok, I am at hour 186:20 of my EF. Still going strong. Did have to break down and do some coffee with cream today. Not too worried about it though because it should not affect my weight loss at all. I am SO close to one-derland. I am going to run through my neighborhood naked once I hit that number. And as soon as my husband bails me out of jail for my indecent exposure charge, I am going to jump right back into some more IF.

(Liz ) #128

Right on. Curious to see how we do on the shorter fasts. I’ll certainly report back! Kudos on all your fasts! Are you able to keep your low weight or close to it after refeeding?

So far I’ve been doing pretty much just one 70 hour fast a month the past few months and a lot of daily IF at different intervals to keep things lively. But my weight has been about the same, with ups and downs, since Nov 1st and I’m eager to get phase two going on this weightloss journey and push though the last of the pounds. If I can do it by fasting 48 hours once a week, that would be amazing! But if I need to fast more frequently, or for longer duration I will.

I don’t like the disruption fasting causes in my routine, and the headaches I sometimes get, and I really miss eating because OMG have you seen what you can eat on Keto??? LOL But I will fast to get my insulin down and keep it down. I am determined.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #129

Seems like every time I fast I drop 2-3 permanent pounds.

(Liz ) #130

Go you!! Astonishingly good fasting!! I would totally contribute to a bail money fund LOLOLOL I have cream every day, even when fasting, so I would never side eye that decision!

Diakon is very mild tasting. It does not taste like regular radishes.

(Liz ) #132

I will definitely buy some and try it, thanks!

(Liz ) #133

Broke my fast gently at 70 hours with some olives. Then an hour later I had ALL TEH FOODZ. Seriously though. I feel like a binger when I break a fast. I don’t know if it’s true hunger, opening the gates to eating triggering the hunger signals that were dormant while fasting? Or is it the novelty of tasting food again? Both? Anyone else experience this?

I mean I ate like, 1200 calories in one 90 minute period, beautiful macros tho. I guess that’s no big deal for OMADs, which I often am. I just don’t like the feeling, feels out of control like my old carby days. I guess the difference is I do eventually reach satiety even when I think I won’t.

Scale budged down a tiny bit but I don’t know if I can hold the loss. Wondering what I can do to keep the fasting losses. Reduce protein? I shoot for 60g but often end up with 70g instead. Reduce fat? My fat grams vary day to day anyway. I know it’s a touchy subject but reduce calories? That doesn’t seem right. I’m going to try weekly 48hr fasts for a while, see if that helps at all.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #134

@LizinLowell There are probably going to be 10 different opinions on this and they will range from up your calories while maintaining your macros to eat more fat. I’d say the same thing I always say…listen to your body.

I’m like you when I’m ready to break my fast I go easy for an hour or so then I’m 90 miles an hour through my kitchen. I’d say that overall you’ve had a successful fast. Congrats and enjoy some bacon today.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #135

Daily fasting update…I’m currently at 86.5 hours and will end this evening at 96 hours with some riced cauliflower and some chicken. Had a little trouble yesterday with enough salt but got that fixed. I’ll be hitting the salt heavy today. One thing to note…In my job, I have the responsibility to make sure inmates get properly fed. That means, properly by the state of Oklahoma standards which we all know what that means. But I do some of the cooking and during this cooking It never effects my fasting. If anything it makes my fasting easier because the food repulses me. I’m craving FAT, today.

(Dawn) #136

SO here is my experience:

I EF quite often and it is a major tool in my weight loss. My fasts lasts between 3 and 15 days. Longer fasts are for autophagy, shorter fasts are for weight loss. So my strategies are based on the fact that I know I will be going right back onto a EF shortly after my refeed.

I.eat.all.the.food. when I come off of a fast. My appetite kicks in big time. But I don’t really care because I don’t calorie restrict (I don’t go crazy either). I have found that eating ALOT during the refeed makes my fasts much more comfortable, more productive and more resilient. Here are the refeed eating techniques that I have tried:

1. I started out trying to eat STRICT keto after a fast and I noticed that my weight went up quite a bit. 6 pounds in about five days

2. Then I started allowing a few more carbs and more calories after a fast and my weight went up even higher. About 10 pounds in five days.

3. Then I tried eating very lightly with moderate calories but strict keto and my weight still went up. But not as much. About 4 pounds over five days

4. And finally I realized, after talking to my buddies on this forum, my weight is always going to go back up because of the weight of the food in my stomach AND the water associated with the food I ate. But it’s not real weight. It’s just water. If I break into IF with healthy calories and then go directly into another EF a couple of days later, I can get back down to my fasting weight pretty quickly. Also, because my body has had a nice refeed and my calories were up, my metabolism seems to go up, and the weight will come off even faster during the next fast. So if I look back over 3-4 weeks, I will end up seeing a NET loss. Does that make sense?

Another trick I use is to fast for a slightly longer period of time so that my weight goes BELOW what my goal was for that particular fast. Then once I start to refeed, I know my weight will go up but it likely won’t go past the weight that I planned. For example, I may do a planned 3 day fast with a conservative goal of going from 219 to 217 pounds. I will fast one or two more days to get down to around 215 so that I have a few more pounds to play with. Then I will start eating again. Once I get back to 217, I don’t panic because that was my original goal in the first place. I will IF OMAD to try to keep the weight there. A few days later, I may go back to EF OR do ADF to make sure that I don’t go too far above the 217.

All this to say, don’t worry about the weight gain. It’s all water and as long as you don’t let it get too out of control…it will come back off really quickly during your next EF or ADF. You should still see net losses when it is all said and done. You plan of 48 hours once a week is GOLDEN. I think if you have less time between your fasts, you will see your losses stick. KCFO You’re doing great

(Jeff Davis) #137

I fasted for about 40 hours from Sunday night to Tuesday lunch. Had dinner last night (Tuesday) and now plan to fast again through lunch tomorrow (Thursday). I’m going to try to do two to three 40-44 hour fasts per week and see if that gets the scale moving a bit.

Funny little story, I’ve been fasting weekly (3-4) days. So today, I couldn’t remember when I ate last. I had to ask my daughter “did I last eat Sunday or Monday.” Who would have thought that would be possible? I know I wouldn’t have 2 months ago. I’m not sure if this will be a short 3 or 4 day fast or turn into another long fast. I’d like to lose 10 pounds quickly to get me to my next goal so I am thinking I might fast until I get down about 15 pounds to allow for the bounce back up that happens after a fast… i guess I’ll just see what happens this week.

(Dawn) #139

Great idea. It is a trick that I use all the time. If you prepare for the bounce back, then you won’t be disappointed.

Check out the app Vora it tracks your fast. It’s free and fun.