January 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(Rebecca) #261

I’ve not lost any weight for about 1 month but I felt that my body comp was changing. I have been interested in IF but have never given it a go and yesterday decided to give it a shot. I had eaten dinner at 5:30 the night before and woke up yesterday feeling great. Sipped on some black coffee and water, worked out fasted and the ate around 10 AM (so that’s 16 hours fasted). My eating window ended at 5:30 again last night and did another 16 hours into this morning. I broke through my plateau!! Down 2 lbs from Friday!!! And I’m feeling great!! I’m so glad I finally gave IF a shot and look forward to incorporating it into my routine. I’ve been reading all the chatter for a while but I’m excited to actually understand now!

Yes Jeanne, assuming if you did few days fast you would see it dropping down. My set point with BG has dropped and I was type II for 23 yrs.
You can do this. Just keep plodding along. The keto woe is perfect for type II diabetes.
I’m coming 68 and have only yo yo dieted for 50 yrs, wish I knew then what I know now!
I save hundreds of $ a month on insulin.Bring on the butter.

(KCKO, KCFO) #263

I was planning an IF of 16 hrs. ended up being a little over the 18 hr. mark. Had lunch with DH and will dine with him tonight and slip into another 36 hr fast. Doing some fat supplementation, hoping to drive my setpoint to my lowest current weight goal. My bounce backs are getting smaller :relieved:

Once that is done, I’ll start water/tea/coffee only fasting for authophagy.

(Justin Jordan) #264

Hmmm, I’m just over 24 hours since I last ate, and I really want to eat. I’m not hungry, and this isn’t any longer than I have been going without eating the last three weeks or so, but there it is. I’m going to power through, but this actually didn’t happen last weekend.

(Liz ) #265

Got through lunch time fasted at the in-laws by saying I wasn’t hungry & I would eat later. No push back. Phew! Now I’m 24 hours in & ready to coast through until tomorrow evening at dinner time. This is my third weekly 2-day fast & it seems like a doable schedule indefinitely. I think I might be seeing some results but will wait to see if it’s a fluke or what lol. Keto is ALL about patience.

(Jennifer) #266

The 3rd is my one year ketoversary and I’m ending it by fasting. I’m going to try and lose a few more pounds to end the year at 90 pounds down. Starting tonight…

(Jeanne Wagner) #267

@Canuck that’s the plan, keep doing it. I’m glad you found Keto too. :smile:

(Jeanne Wagner) #268

Ok so I broke my 72 hour fast at 76 hours. I was going to keep on going but a couple things stopped me. 1) since the beginnin of this fast I have felt on edge and couldn’t focus, 2) constipation discomfort, 3) I went to a birthday dinner tonight with family and I didn’t want to be the only one sitting there not eating, just sipping water. I was not concerned I would get hungry. I really have been just fine hunger-wise days 2 & 3.

I have a very busy week at work this week and I just coudln’t afford to be in that distracted unfocused state. I was in it all day Friday and I got jack done. Has anyone had this issue?

Day 2 I woke up and had the funky breath, which I think means I was in ketosis. That lasted all of day 2 and 3. After I have eaten the breath seems to be normal again. I did this kind of on a whim and I had no idea that my local Walmart/Walgreens had the pee strips. I know they are not all that reliable from what everyone says, but I figured I’d give it a shot. I want to get a breath machine, but unsure which one to get.

I broke my fast with 1 chicken thigh with the skin on, about 1/4 c black beans with small squares of onion in it, and 3 small bowls of salad: lettuce (‘field greens’), black olives, mushrooms, cucumbers, and tomatoes. Kokoman Ginger dressing, I couldn’t help but eat after 7 pm, but I think we were done no later than 7:30 pm. I am more than full. Still at almost 11 pm. Even thinking of food makes me feel queasy.

All in all I think a successful first 3-day fast. I’ll be doing it again this weekend most likely, and intermittent fasting during the week. I’m sure that will be the way I eat from now on. No less than 16 hrs and up to 24 hrs.

(KCKO, KCFO) #269

You are off to a great start. That unfocused feeling is a sign you need more, wait for it…

SALT

Being in ketosis you need a lot more salt that you ever dreamed of, it controls the other goodies, like potassium and magnesium.

And for the :poop: magnesium citrate will do wonders along with coffee with coconut oil in it. I found too much fiber only made things much worse. So easy on the fiber for a while.

(Jeanne Wagner) #270

@collaroygal thanks for those tips. Is magnesium citrate a different substance thatn simply “Magnesium?” I am taking a magnesium supplement at night. It’s a Walmart brand supplement. I took 2 pills once and didn’t have any bowel movements for 2 days. Not fun. So much salt! I have a block with salt… I used to get super bad headaches if I ate too much salt…at least that is what we think was the culprate. Also I had borderline high blood pressure and I got afraid of salt from that too. I have been taking pure salt but obviously not enough.

(KCKO, KCFO) #271

I get liquid magnesium citrate, available at most pharmacy dept. Our King Sooper grocery pharamacy has the best price around, Target has it as well as Walgreens and CVS drug stores. You might find Brenda’s ketoaide recipe helpful

(Liz ) #272

Ok you guys, finally having my first black coffee morning! I’m such a wimp lol. I used some Redmond’s real salt, high quality coffee and a French press. It’s fine, not too bitter. It’s just not how I like my coffee, you know?

I wouldn’t have any at all if I wasn’t so addicted. If I skipped it I’d get a 3-day migraine. I used to drink tea in the mornings but unless I added collagen to counteract the tannins, it would turn my stomach. But collagen is protein so that would ruin my IF worse than fats might.

But I’m so interested to see how my fasting goes without that 2 tbs of butter in my coffee every morning. Will I feel hungry? Will I lack energy? Will the scale budge? Tonight I’ll break my weekly 46 hour fast at dinner. I’m curious to try black coffee all week while I IF & see if my weight responds.

If my big meal of the day was lunch, I’d go on using delicious fats in my morning coffee, but since I eat at around 1 or 2 and again at 6pm, I’m not sure I’m getting all the 19:5 IF benefits using 200 calories of fat at 6 am every day. I’m sure everybody responds differently. Time to do my n=1 on fats during a fast.

(Allie) #273

@LizinLowell I have caffeine tablets for the mornings of fast days as I just can’t do black coffee. I don’t mind the taste, but it irritates my bladder issues and causes pain - the odd cup here and there is OK, but not a regular option. Caffeine addiction is real but it’s my only vice to I’ll hold onto it :joy:

(Liz ) #274

Good idea!! I’ll keep a watch on if the black coffee does me wrong…Sounds like you totally understand, ugh!

@EyesWideOpen

There are several kinds of magnesium. Here’s what a ND taught me:

Magnesium OXIDE is not good for you in that it is terribly difficult to absorb. It is the cheapest so most often found in supplements.
Magnesium CITRATE: great for loosening the bowels.
Magnesium GYLCINATE: great for all things magnesium but will not loosen the bowels to the degree that citrate does.
Magnesium STEARATE: stay away from this, it is considered toxic and not from magnesium at all. It is also very cheap and so used in supplements of a lower quality.

(What The Fast?!) #276

I take a citrate/malate combo and throw in glycinate sometimes too. Granted, I still have :poop: issues so not sure if that’s helpful or not. :rofl: When I make keto-aide, I add a lot more mag citrate than the recipe calls for as well.

(Jeanne Wagner) #277

@elaine1 good to know, thank you!!

(Jun Yutuc) #278

Greetings everyone!

Ill be joining the IF/EF bandwagon. The longest I have lasted was 25 hours before breaking my fast but it was intentionally since I was on my day off, I didnt feel the need of eating until I did my day 01 in the gym after several years.

My question here is, if you guys do EF more than 24 hours, do you just stay home and do nothing or you do it too on workdays? How about working out in the gym during an EF? Is it healthy or safe for a beginner?

(Allie) #279

EF is over 48 hours, below that is generally regarded as IF.
When I’ve done EF it’s been Weds, Thurs, Fri and at work as normal. Sometimes IF Mon & Tues, also at work. I don’t fast at all on weekends.

Normally gym is fine as normal, but I’ve discovered fasting and leg day aren’t a good mix for me.

(What The Fast?!) #280

Hi there! I find that each fast is a little different, but when I feel good, I continue my workouts (from yoga to HiiT) during multi-day fasts without issue.