January 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(KCKO, KCFO) #241

Started a 36 hr. fast last night. After listening to the Obesity Code’s latest podcast, I will be doing coffee with a bit of HWC, few nuts, and bone broth. I have been bounching lower with each extended fast, then bouncing up more than I wanted to (but still within my 3 lbs. limit), so doing more fasting right away…

By doing a weight loss fast (supplemented) I hope to reach a new lower weight. After that I plan on doing an autophagy fast, water only. I realize now I was mixing up things a bit too much. I am trying to maintain the lower weight, not the additional 3 lbs., so some weight loss while fasting will be needed I reckon. I’ll do the water fasting for the autophagy effect. My skin can use all of that it can get!

Hope you are all having a good Friday, and enjoy the weekend coming up.

(Justin Jordan) #242

I was going to do a 72 hour fast this weekend, but social stuff appears to be getting in the way on Saturday. I may do a 48 hour fast (so whenever I stop eating on Saturday to the same time Monday) or I might extend that to Tuesday.

(Liz ) #243

@Shortstuff ugh that waking up feeling bad sounds so uncomfortable. Good idea to start eating again.

@KetoLikeaLady Interesting how you weren’t as hungry avoiding all fats during your fast. I’ve heard others mention that too. Have a great time skiing!

@collaroygal Haven’t heard the latest podcast yet. Is it related to why you want to do a fat supplemented fast for weightloss? How does that get different results than no fats? Or is it unrelated? I hear ya, I still hold out hope future autophagy and just plain old time will still help with my extra skin.

@Justin_Jordan That’s the schedule I’ve been trying to do every weekend starting this month: fast from Saturday dinner to Monday dinner. I hear you on dealing with social situations. Sunday I’ll be at the in-laws and I’m sure everyone will sit down to lunch. But I’d like to keep to my schedule if possible. Hopefully I can convince them I’m fine without food so it’s not too awkward. They know I’m keto but they don’t know I fast because I know better than to talk about fasting lol. I don’t ever give in to social pressure to eat these days, I’m stubborn, but I hate to make them feel uncomfortable, they are such nice folks, so that’s the only catch.

(KCKO, KCFO) #244

It is about fasting questions, excellent. Megan brought up the point that you should base your type of fast on what your goal is. Since just about anything besides water will halt autophagy, I realized what I really need to be doing is the weight loss fasting. I’ve been attempting autophagy with just water and after about 20 hrs. I cave. So I want to get down and stay down after my fasts at my current goal weight. Once I get that stable, I plan to work on doing 24-36 hr. water only fasts for the autophagy. I need to study up on that mTOR pathway, seems it is what can shut down your autophagy.

(Jeanne Wagner) #245

I am relatively new to the Keto way. Started dabbling in November, more serious near end of December. Now I’m fasting! Just checked in with the doctor after four days of 24 hr consecutive fasting (eating once a day), and I am now 22 1/2 hrs into my first 72 hour fast! If I feel good enough I want to try a whole 7 days. Twelve years diagnosed Type II diabetic and committed to reversing it!!!

(Liz ) #246

Oh that is such a good point!! Thanks for sharing it. That podcast is always so good.

When I fast I use 2 tbs butter in my morning coffee, I guess I didn’t realize I would not get the benefits of autophagy that way. Bummer! But my main goal with fasting is to drive my basal insulin level down so I assume/hope I’m still getting that benefit.

I will do some water/black coffee only fasts at some point. Maybe next month?

(Trish) #247

Congrats on your fast. I broke mine Monday at 88 hours and still haven’t needed to go lol.

(Jeanne Wagner) #248

Oh man, yesterday was pretty uncomfortable. Not brutal per se, but I was hungry all day except for about a 2 hour time period. I don’t understand why, since I had been doing 24 hour fasts all week (just eating 1x/day for a short window) and was just fine. It may have been that I did not eat enough during that last day before I started this 3 day fast, but I want to say no because I have more than an ample fat supply on my body to access. Maybe I’m not fully fat adapted… just been doing this a few weeks and probably kind of spotty. Anyway, I was keen to go to sleep for the night hoping I would feel fine when I woke up and lo and behold I feel great. Now I’ve only been up an hour and a half so far, but no hunger at all. I am drinking salted water to try to keep my sodium plenished. By 3 pm today I’ll have my first 48 hrs done!! This is pretty exciting. Before learning about keto I have never contemplated fasting like this. The thought would horrify me. I had a very hard time fasting for medical tests and whatnot in the past. But now the doing a 24 hour fast seems to be a breeze. Learning that longer fasts are more beneficial, I wanted to start adapting to them as soon as I could. I have majour insulin resistance to overcome and a lot of weight to drop. T2D, my blood glucose is beginning to normalize after a good 5 yrs or so out of control.

(KCKO, KCFO) #249

Welcome to the wonderful world of Ketozombies. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Cause fasting kills you. So we are all Ketozombies on this forum.

You are doing great. Everyone has a hump day, for some it is day 2 others 3. The more you fast the better you get at it. If you have salt use that to get over the hunger/tired/cold waves. Melting under the tongue gets it processed more quickly, a Megan Ramos type. It really does help.

(Jeanne Wagner) #250

@collaroygal Thanks! It’s my first 3-day. I have read enough to know it gets better with time. I’m in it for the long haul (marathon not sprint). I had been very patient ‘getting here’ these past six months, simply starting with elimination of gluten and wheat products. Losing what I thought was nothing from that, I just said to myself ‘it will come in time, you screwed your body up really bad and it has to wake up again.’ But yesterday my doctor told me I had lost 14 lbs, so I got kind of excited. I don’t have a scale, but now I’m thinking of getting one to do weekly checks. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Seth Rue) #251

It’s nice to see how helpful keto and fasts are. Before I was living this way driving 8 hours with out eating would be hard. Now I didn’t even think about it today.

(Justin Jordan) #252

This time I’m going to go for a 72 hour fast. Mostly because I am interested in the effect on my blood sugar. I stopped Glipizide, which has raised my blood sugar from 85 or so fasting to 115 or so fasting - which was not unexpected. I’m trying to lower my insulin exposure, and a more extended fast is another part of that. If I can hit 85 again I’d be a happy camper.

I MAY do 72, refeed, 48 - we’ll see.

(KCKO, KCFO) #253

Just broke my fast. Made it 46hrs. I will eat dinner then do. 16/8 IF.
Good weekend everyone…

(Jeanne Wagner) #254

I am in hour 67 and going strong. However I have noticed that my blood sugars are higher than when I did just the 24 hours day by day earlier this week. Those resulted in an ultimate blood sugar level of 76. My first normal reading in over five years. I was elated. During these last three days my blood sugar has not gone under 109 but also has not gone over 137.

I had heard that when you’re in ketosis that the fat cells that get broken down contain some sugar and gets into the bloodstream and can cause temporary blood spikes so to speak. In a way they are not blood sugar spikes to me since I’ve been so high for so long but I understand it. Could this be the case? Or probably more likely it is that my sugar levels are not regulated yet and therefore are still a little bit wonky.

(Allie) #255

I’ve heard this too and it seems very plausible. If this is what’s happening with you, at least you know it means there’s less accumulated junk in your body now.

(Jeanne Wagner) #256

Definitely. It’s a fine line of disappointment and understanding even so. smh Six months to get to this point (six/seven months ago I just cut out gluten and wheat, keto came in November) and it was slow going. I have the patience of Job, but now that after 4 consecutive 24 hour fasts and getting a normal reading of 76, all of a sudden I was on fire to make great progress. I’ve done everything correctly for this 3-day fast by having only water and a relatively small amount of plain black coffee (two 6-oz cups yesterday, but not having anymore after experiencing a very acidic burp). Salt to keep the sodium up. This morning I woke up a little shaky and I thought, almost too happily, that my blood glucose must be getting really low. Surprise! It was 144. Damn. So I ingested around 1 tsp of sea salt. Giving it about an hour and I’m sure I’ll feel better.

Jeanne, those high numbers can be stored glycogen the liver releases when fasting and not spiking the bodies insulin.
I just completed a 5 day fast.I had coffee with HWC, oil, but after hearing Fung talk more about autophagy am going to do more water and salt fasts.
I’ve abouf 10 lbs to goal so want to keep EF as once at goal assume will do more IF.
I’ve been off insulin since day 1 of keto March 2017.
Totally down 253-144(146) bounces.
Off all diabetic high bp meds.
Dropped 21 inches off my body, 7 off my waist.
Dr Fungs new diabetic book comes out April 2.

(Ken) #258

Just finished up a 100 hour fast. This one was a little tougher than the last - did 101 hours on the January Zornfast last week. I wasn’t physically hungry at all, but it was more psychological, you know what I mean. I think maybe these two EFs were a little too close together for me.

Ending stats: BG - 60 and Ketones - 4.0

I’m planning on doing my re-feed this afternoon and tomorrow and then go OMAD until the February Zornfast. I just need to keep reminding myself that I’m in it for the long haul - and for the :bacon: of course!

Have a great day, y’all. KCKO!

(What The Fast?!) #259

Feasting today (3rd day) and then jumping into a long fast, going for 5 days! I’ll be on a ski trip with friends starting Friday, so will be easy to feast. :slight_smile:

(Jeanne Wagner) #260

@Canuck that is fantastic! I want to get my measurements done today if possible. I need to track that. I’m hoping it’s the stored glycogen and not something else (i.e. bad). As soon as I heard Dr. Fung talk, I was very serious about the fasting.