January 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

Thank you for these links, will be back to check them out this evening and/or as time permits. :wink:

OK< so I read the article first, straightforward, good explanation. However, the three videos came up as “unavailable”. :frowning:

(Allie) #202

I think I pushed myself a bit too much on my lunchtime walk today, what with me still getting over flu and being up to 68 hours fasted, as I started feeling a tiny bit sick and headachey. When I got back to work I dissolved some salt under my tongue which seems to be helping, but I expect I will break my fast when I get home from work in a few hours (unless I suddenly feel amazing again).

(KCKO, KCFO) #203

Interesting, those links didn’t work for me either today. Maybe the webmaster changed something?

Try going to this one, it has links to the others in the more information section.

(Justin Jordan) #204

So this would be day seven of successfully eating one meal a day. I was a little hit or miss the week before, but this weekend my schedule (I was traveling) ended up making it easier, and once I had some momentum I rolled through into the rest of the week.

Well, I say one meal a day, and that’s been true most of the days, but yesterday was more like a 22/2 schedule, since I ate twice between four and six.

(Justin Jordan) #205

Going to fast until Monday evening, so 48 hours total (I ate my last meal of the day today a while ago). I actually HAD planned to Friday to Sunday, but had family around so I ate.

This month has gone really well - blood sugar has been (intermittently) in the legitimately normal range, and almost always in the generally normal range. And that’s on just glipizide and metformin, I’m going to titrate off the glipzide this week and see what my blood sugars do.

Lost weight, too. This week should see me into the 220’s (I was 231 today) which is lower than I’ve been…ever, really - 231 is the least I’ve weighed non dehydrated since I sailed past the 220’s in my early teens (in young me’s defense, I also hit my full height of over six feet then, too)

I’ve got a 72 hour fast planned for next weekend if all goes well.

(Liz ) #206

Right on @Justin_Jordan ! I just started my 2nd weekly 48 hour fast this evening as well.

Last week I had to cut it short due to a head cold. Today is the second day of a migraine so I hope that wraps up soon so I can glide through tomorrow! I got down to 167 last weekend but I’m back up to my old nemesis 170 again. I don’t know if these 48 hr fasts are going to be enough for me if I can’t hang on to losses I achieve in 70 hr fasts. But I obviously need to drive my insulin levels down & I’m hoping a weekly fast will do it.

@Shortstuff

I hope the fasting helps you get back your health Allie. The flu is very bad in the US as well.

(Allie) #208

I’ll be fasting again tomorrow. Not decided if it’ll be another extended fast, or if I’ll do a week of alternate day fasts. I’ll decide by how I feel… I’ve had a weekend of feasting so in theory should be good for an extended fast, but will see how I go.

(KCKO, KCFO) #209

Finished my Zornfast. It was a 2 parter this month, I did 38 hrs. ate one meal and dove back into fasting, just finished a few mins. short of 50 hrs. the steak was perfect then so we started lunch. 88 hrs. since last Wed. night not bad.

I’m really enjoy the Vora app keeps track so well and if I mess up and don’t push start or stop, I can edit it. I love how it even shows how long since your last fast.

I even came in under my second goal weight I had set. I have gone from 170 last Aug.1 to 132 today. I had a few months of plateauing but Fasting has taken care of that. I’ve stayed within 3 lbs. of my second goal weight for about 3 months now.

NIce to know the 36 to 48 hr. fasts can really help with autophagy. My skin is looking good today.

Thinking of doing a 36 hr. starting tonight at dinner. Keto pizza for dinner our lunch was pretty big, so just pizza and salad tonight, but I should be good to go again for a 36er.

Hope everyone is sailing smoothly through their fasting today.

KCFO

(Liz ) #210

So far so good on this second weekly 2-day fast thing I’m trying. I had a 2 day migraine that grounded me Fri/Sat but it’s gone today, phew! We went to the movies because we’re not football fans but we live in Patriots territory & we knew we’d have the run of the theater & boy did we lol!! I’ve never parked so close :joy: I was a little sad not to enjoy Keto snacks I usually bring to the movies but I got a giant hot cup of mint tea & that was very nice. And since there were like, 6 other people there, the theater wasn’t an orgy of carb snacking sounds & smells.

Now I’ve got a hot cup of herbal tea & a little dish of salt so I can keep my husband company while he eats the leftovers I saved him.

When I first started fasting I used to get so nervous about how I would feel at dinner time but I realized, it’s like, tops, 30 minutes out of a day. No big deal!

We made reservations for Saturday of Valentine’s weekend at my favorite steak house & I might use that feast as a launch into a 70+ hour fast for Feb as I still hope to do at least one of those a month along with these weekly 48 hour fasts. Would be kind of cool to try pushing past 72 hours, my current record, but we’ll see.

@collaroygal congrats on successful fasts, weightloss, & plateau busting! Very encouraging. Thanks for sharing your experiences. When you say second goal weight, is that it? Are you there? Or are you staying open to being yet another different weight down the line.

(KCKO, KCFO) #211

Well, honestly I didn’t think I would set a second one but as my weight went down more, I decided to set a new one. My second goal was based on my Weight Watchers goal from the late 1980s. Being even lower, not much but under it none the less, is making the think I might be able to crack the next decade number under this one. I don’t want to go down too much, as a little weight is good when you are ill and over 65, so I am still pondering that decision. I like what I am doing 36/48 hr. fast weekly, a monthly more extended fast, I will probably just continue doing this and see where that takes me. I am happy in my size 4 pants so I might just enjoy getting to eat a few more keto treats from time to time and staying in this place.

Sounds like a nice day out to movies. I love you are already planning for Valentines Day. I have some frozen raspberries I plan on using in chocolate fat bombs, I’ll place one in each bin of the mold. That is my idea of a real treat. Hubby will want cheese fondue, we now eat it with ham cubes, broccoli, cauliflower, and lchf biscuits cut into cubes. So we have thought about it too.

Here is a link to that recipe for biscuits

(Liz ) #212

So interesting! I’ve no memory of my specific weight when I was slimmer so I haven’t really known where to aim. I started out thinking 180 (I’m 5’8”) but when I got there I saw I was still pretty large so I said ok 160. But now that I’m 170 I could see being 150 or even 140. I have a very lanky frame but I want a bit of padding too. I don’t yearn to be model thin, just no idea really what my body wants to settle at. We’ll see!

Ooh fondue sounds fun! Thanks for the link :smile: Is it wrong I’m more excited about the ribeye than the romance lol??

(Robin) #213

This was my first fast with the group. I did 20 hours (since I am newer to the fasting thing). We had a late dinner and finished up at about 7:30 or 8:00 PM when I began fasting. My morning blood sugar level was 140. My husband and I didn’t eat until about 4:00 PM that next day. The following morning, my fasting blood sugar was down to 113 and I had lost 4.4 pounds (probably mostly extra water from a cheat day earlier in the week.) I won’t lie. This one was harder than the last fast with lots of hunger pains and a bit of a headache (took some salt and it went away), possibly because of a carb’ful’ day earlier this week?

Here’s a question for the group. I am diabetic and I am really working hard on my insulin resistance. I recently miscarried and I had a really hard time controlling the blood sugar levels with diet alone
while pregnant and had to go on insulin at my doctor’s insistence. We would like to try again for another child, but I don’t want to have to go through the emotional roller coaster of having so many blood sugar issues… so lowering my insulin is super important to me right now. I’m wondering what schedule of fasting might be best to help me out. Dr. Fung mentions that there are different stages of energy burning in a fast. ( https://idmprogram.com/fasting-physiology-part-ii/) If I am understanding what he says, he states that days 2-3 are when ketosis sets in and that’s where a lot of insulin issues start getting resolved. If you are already eating keto, does this start earlier? Do I still need to be fasting for 2-3 days in order to have these insulin benefits? Thoughts? Stories? Ideas? Thanks!

(Justin Jordan) #214

And I’ve now crested past 48 hours. No problems. And indeed, I just worked out, and both weight and cardio went better than they had on Friday.

Amusingly, I managed to gain a gain from Sunday morning to Monday morning despite no food. Which, yes, I know is just water weight, which is I am amused and not annoyed.

(Liz ) #215

@Robin_Perez First, my deepest condolences on your miscarriage. As far as what you are trying to do, get your insulin down, I don’t know specifically what fasting schedule will work best for you. Everyone is a little different. I do know it takes time. Yes eating Keto helps because your glucose levels are already lower. Also, if you are nice and fat adapted, the hunger won’t be as much of an issue. I see a lot of folks saying on here they reversed their type 2 diabetes in 3 months to a year using Keto & fasting. But again, everyone is different & you’ll have to just try it & see how you do. Wishing you well!

(Liz ) #216

Got easily to 46 hours fasted today & broke at dinner as planned. Tomorrow I’ll bring sardines & macadamia nuts to the studio & if I’m starving I’ll eat lunch, if not I’ll OMAD. I’ve been painting a mural of a patchwork quilt on the outside of my studio wall so I haven’t been sitting at my work table doing something repetitive where it would be more likely I’d be thinking about food. (Especially when Carl & Richard do RECIPES! Lol)

(Allie) #217

I just did 24 hours as I wasn’t feeling good at all, cold, shivery and weak so had a meal.

(Dawn) #218

OK. Gave all fasting and strict keto a rest ffrom Jan 14th through Jan 23rd. Did lazy keto with little fasting. Today I make a BIG push for a 16 day FAST (there will be one meal day in between because of a special event). I never feel good after about the 11th day of fasting so the challenge here will be to feel good throughout and to make it to day 16 (longest fast so far was only about 14/15 days). Here we go. I want to lose weight and I want to lower insulin. Not too stressed about autophagy, so broth and sugar free hot chocolate will probably be involved.

(Dawn) #219

@Robin_Perez I am so sorry to hear about the miscarriage. BUT, there is so much hope and promise in Keto combined with IF that I pray this will be the best method for getting your insulin under control and possibly even reversing diabetes. I think that your fasting schedule will depend on your tolerance, goals and how well you prepare. If you eat well, lots of healthy fats, you may be able to get the results you need with just doing IF daily. If you want to go the EF route, then make sure you start slowly. EF takes practice and I would suggest doing some experiments (with alot of tracking of blood glucose and ketones) to help determine your sweet spot. You may see the results you want with only doing 3 day fasts a couple times per month. On the other hand, you may need to go 7-10 days in order to see a steady decrease in blood sugars. Again, tracking and taking it slowly one day at a time will help you determine your optimum fasting schedule. It’s all about results and how your body responds.

(Allie) #220

So today I start fasting again, aiming at 72 hours as previous. Feeling hunger already and it’s only 13 hours, but I know it’s not real hunger as I ate so much yesterday so I’ll push through… just the ghrelin being a gremlin :joy: