January 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

Hello fast friends!

I had a bit too much to eat last night…emotional eating no doubt. Checked FBG at 0850 and it was 107. Ugh. Physiologic I suppose, but still…ugh.

Therefore, I have decided to get right on board with a fast. I’m at hour 13.5 and will try for 72 or more. One hour at a time and the sleeping hours are the easiest!

Have a great day of fasting, salt, broth, water or however you roll. :wink:

Feel better soon!!

(Liz ) #183

Thank you! My hope was that fasting through my head cold would speed up its timeline, we’ll see. Just broke my fast early at 40 hours.

(Seth Rue) #184

Great reading all of your posts. I’m beginning a 7 day fast. I planned a smaller fast for this week, but it ends as the Zorn Fast begins so looks like I am going for 7 days. I have only done 5 before so this will be a fun little test.Looking forward to the further inspiration you all provide.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #185

I’m going to have to end my fast this evening. I’m very irritable and can’t seem to get past it. The slightest things are just pissing me off. My employees are paying the price.

(Jay Erdahl) #186

@rustyk61 - funny, that’s how I figure out when to end my fasts as well - when those around me begin to suffer. :slight_smile:

(Allie) #187

Morning all :slight_smile:
I’ve decided to fast today and will make it a 72 hour fast as long as I feel OK with it, but as I’m still recovering from this nasty flu bug, I’ll take it gently and day by day. I’ve got myself electrolyte drinks and will continue my normal daily salt capsule supplementation too.

(Allie) #188

39 hours into my planned 72 hour fast and feeling great. The flu bug is still hanging on, but otherwise I’m alert and managing to ignore the occasional hunger pangs. I’m drinking Smart Water and black coffee (limiting to two cups a day), as well as my normal tap water with added electrolytes.

(Liz ) #189

Sorry your flu won’t scram! I hope fasting lets your body heal up. My head cold is almost finished, took about 6 days. I get sick maybe once every 2 years so I hope that was it!! And I hope this is it for you, too.

(KCKO, KCFO) #190

Liz and Allie, hope you both are healed quickly.

I’m dong the monthly Zornfast, started last night only 14 hrs into it. I am going to try and do black coffee without any fats for the first couple of days at least. I did add salt to the coffee while it brewed, tastes good. I do have some beef bone broth if I start feeling like I might cave, hopefully I won’t need it.

Is anyone else here using the Vora fasting app to track your fasts? I tried Zero but it really is more geared to just IF, excellent for those. Vora has better customizing I think.

Happy fasting everyone!

(Allie) #191

I use Zero and have the timer set to 16 hours default, but just let it run over - just coming up to 46 hours

(Liz ) #192

@collaroygal Thanks, I’m about healed up! Phew. I’m interested to hear how your fatless fast goes. I have yet to do one though I’ve got it down to 2 TBS butter in my morning coffee. I already use salt and I switched to French Press for a mellower brew but I still haven’t tried a black coffee fast because I am whiny lol. I really love something in my coffee!! I will have to work up my courage & try it at my next weekly 48 hour this weekend. It’s only for two mornings, Liz, LOL, giving myself a pep talk :smile:

I use Vora, I like it fine. I wish I could stop it counting all the time I’m not fasting, for whatever reason I find that annoying. Happy Zornfasting!

IF has been intermittent (!) the past week or so because of cold-weather events. I do better doing a warrior fast on working days, and we were off work on MLK plus we had some “snow” days, which for me meant going in for a half-day. That means I probably had my evening meal in mid afternoon, and didn’t quite make the fast 20 hrs. Today is a legit warrior (20/4) fast, hopefully tomorrow too.

Sounds like you are going with the flow, which helps reduce stress and allows for better use of that stored fat, eh?! :wink:

I just finished an 88 hr fast at noon today and will likely be doing a mix of 16:8 over the next few days due to family/friends and eating out. But hope to get back to some 20:4 later or…back into an EF next week.

Keep on rolling on the fast track! (pathetic drum roll here)

(Jeffie Lynn Mc Kay) #195

Currently on my first fast. At 42 hours rn. Was hoping to do 72, but I’ll see how I feel tomorrow, I have a question though. It seems as though there is a method to breaking the fast. Any advise?

This is a great first fast! You can probably make it to the 72 hours, but I like hearing your plan to listen to just how you feel. I usually feel fine, and for me, it’s a matter of not listening to my mind saying “food is SOOO yummy!”

When I break a fast, it isn’t usually a graceful thing. I eat whatever keto food I feel like and that I can prepare without waiting too long. Bacon, eggs, salad, nuts, warmed brie :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: SOme people get “sick”, I think a loose stools reaction to sudden food in too great a quantity, so beware of that. But not this woman, nope. When I finish a fast I say bring it on!

It sounds like you are off to a wonderful start with fasting. It really can be addicting too, I feel so good when I fast. I hope that you’ll have that experience as well.

(Seth Rue) #197

A good suggestion is usually a smaller meal of protein followed by a normal meal within a couple hours. The first meal gets your body ready hopefully stopping a common bowel overflow.

(KCKO, KCFO) #198

Some people can’t handle eggs, bacon fine, eggs not so much.

I personally found breaking fasts with a few nuts, macadamias are my nut of choice, and maybe 4-8 olives, then waiting half hr. or so to have a normal keto type meal worked fine. If I am cooking up that meal, the nuts and olives keep me from nibbling and prepare my body for the meal to come so it isn’t being too rude of an experience.

(KCKO, KCFO) #199

Putting this here so I can find it again. This leads me to believe 3-4 day intermittent fasts 16/8 type fasts, would be the most beneficial for autophagy. Seems it peaks after a second day of fasting. I also found a good youtube channel on autophagy so posting those links as well.

https://idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-fasting-25/

Introductory lesson on Macroautophagy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmSVK

For more information on Chaperone-mediated autophagy (CMA), please check out this lesson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5kr1

For an in-depth review of the mTOR signaling pathway, please check out this lesson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2pXb

(Allie) #200

I’m now on 63 hours with a goal of 72 so looking good. My 72 will be up after work tonight, but depending how I feel, I might hold it until tomorrow morning by which time I’ll be around 90 hours (ish) as I have some vet visits to sort out first thing.