January 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(KCKO, KCFO) #161

I didn’t get over 14 hrs. got stressed out this AM first thing and caved to some bacon and eggs, so I did a fatty refeed today, and tonight I have started to do another EX fast, this time, I will be happy with 36, but maybe going to 48 hrs. instead. Next week is Zornfast, so I really want at least a 36er this week. My IFs have been mostly 20:4 this week.

(Allie) #162

I seem to have unexpectedly ended up fasting. I don’t know if you all know, but here in the UK we have a bad outbreak of flu. Normally I don’t even get colds as my immune system is strong, but I’ve been suffering this thing for six days now, started last Sunday with a sore throat. I managed to go to work mostly as normal but was sent home early on Thursday, then when I dragged myself in on Friday I was sent home almost immediately and have now been in bed almost constantly for two days.

I made myself eat yesterday morning in the hope it would help me recover, but not had anything since then and it’s over 27 hours now. I’m not even hungry so am listening to my body. Just tested blood sugar and ketones - ketones 4.5 and blood sugar 3.4 (that’s around 60 I believe).

I had planned to attempt a five day fast this past week but decided not to when I got sick, now maybe my body has decided it needs the rest from processing food.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #163

OK, fasting friends…I’m gearing up for my last fast of January. Did a 72, then a 96 last week and I’m gonna do one more 72 hour starting tonight at 6pm. After this 72 hour fast I’ll automatically go right into IF on a 23/1 or OMAD if you will for the rest of the month. It’s been a pretty easy month so far. So to get ready, Today I’m eating 4-eggs cooked in sausage juice, breakfast sausage, chuck steak, avocado, spinach salad and finally top it all off will be pork ribs cooked in my new instant pot.…Hope you all are doing great this weekend.

(Allie) #164

Even looking through Instagram and seeing all the food isn’t making me hungry. This has to be the easiest fast I’ve done yet, but I don’t recommmend it because it’s awful :weary:

(Liz ) #165

Boo :frowning: that stinks! So sorry you are suffering this. It would be amazing if fasting helped you heal up better, though. I hope so!

(Liz ) #166

Right on! I’m starting my 1st planned weekly 48 hr EF tonight after pork tenderloin & buttered broccoli.

Welp, after a successful 70 hour fast last week, scale is right back up at 170 where it always ends up ever since Nov 1, taunting me yet again.

But this morning I went & tried on all the dresses I bought when I was last losing weight, around 4 years ago, & they all fit again, probably they are all a bit too loose! So even though I don’t really wear dresses lol, I’m ready for some occasions should one arise :smile: But that was a good morale boost & helps me be patient while I & my body work out our difference of opinion on what I should weigh. KCFO!

(Becky Searls) #167

Great job getting back in the horse!! What recipe for keto-aide do you use?

(KCKO, KCFO) #168

My fasting mojo isn’t working too well. I made it 28 hrs. and then I wanted to eat ALL.THE.THINGS. Thank goodness the house was loaded.with Keto foods. I did an IF this morning and will try again later to make it to 36, I am happy to do just 23:1 as well. It is all good.

(Liz ) #169

I’m still trying to learn to trust my signals. But it’s hard for me. I’m a recovering carb addict and for most of my life the messages I got from my brain regarding food were bad advice!

So I’m here, Keto since March, trying to get my weight loss going again, fasting to push my basal insulin rate down, trying to let time heal my deranged cells.

I am 5’8”, 170 lbs, slender frame, aiming for 140. I track my foods. I listen to Fung & the Dudes & believe in a moderate protein approach to Keto. I have my protein goal set at 60g but I routinely go to 70, which I don’t worry about too much.

But after my last 3 day fast I’ve been closer to 100g a day. Part of me assumes that’s my body rebuilding after autophagy. But the part of me that knows I’m a carb addict worries my body is trying to get glucose from overeating protein. Is that even a thing though??

What do you all think? Eat the protein? Try to curb the protein? It’s a phase? Don’t worry about it?

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #170

@LizinLowell, this is something that I’ve been struggling with as well. I’m at a point that I’m really gonna pay attention to the amount of protein. Let us know what you do and how it works for you.

So far today, I’m sitting at 17.5 hours of this 72 hour fast. I ate about 2500 calories yesterday in preparation. Looking back at it, I wish I hadn’t had as much protein.

(Allie) #171

My sickness created fast ended at nearly 45 hours with bacon and eggs this morning, and after being cautious to start with, my appetite has been rather demanding today so hopefully on the mend now.

@LizinLowell how are you feeling with the increased protein and are you still getting the results you want?

(KCKO, KCFO) #172

Remember when Richard lowered his protein? I don’t think he saw much of a result.

I have been thinking of lower my protein, since I eat as much of it if not more than my TOFI, diabetic husband does, and I am only 5’3" and he is 6’. So I played with ketogains calculator and it tells me I need 60 grams of protein. Since I am in the mid 130s and shorter than you, I would think 60-70 g/p should be fine. I think eating the protein wrapped in lots of fats is important, I find I can eat a lot more lean chicken breast than fatty cuts of steaks. YMMV?

(Liz ) #173

@rustyk61 How much protein are you aiming for vs how much you go over? Do you think it’s stalling you? I can’t tell if my desire to eat a lot of protein is based on what my body needs or some kind of derangement. Aren’t we supposed to be able to trust our signals in Keto? Ugh it’s confusing.

@Shortstuff So glad you are on the mend! I’m fasting as planned even before I got whatever this sinus thing I’m battling is.

I feel great with the increased protein, I do reach satiety eventually, thank goodness! But I’ve been bouncing around the same scale weight since Nov 1 & I don’t want to kneecap my fasting efforts by somehow overdoing it on protein when I feed. So I’m trying to discern if the amount of protein I’m eating is helpful/not helpful/neutral to my goals of lowering my insulin to access the last 30 pounds.

@collaroygal I don’t want to eat super minimal protein, I know Richard still monitors his carefully though he doesn’t go too low, but I don’t want to grossly overshoot my needs either. I do incorporate fats liberally & eat fatty proteins. I guess I’m just nervous my overeating proteins is a screwy signal from a very addictive body. But maybe it’s a legit need I should honor. Right now I’m eating the protein in the hopes its needed for something & when whatever it’s repairing is fixed, my need will reduce naturally.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #174

Protein is the one macro that I have not been too concerned over, but after the amount of fasting that I do, I would like to get as much benefit as possible. And I know I can’t do that if my excess protein intake is raising my insulin. I want to stay below 160g. I’m usually up around 180 - 200. And could probably go lower.

Hey, @LizinLowell I think I can commiserate with you on the protein and the fear of overdoing it as well. I just recently, as in the past week or so decided to allow myself to increase the protein a bit. I haven’t actually tracked it, but since I’m cutting down on some of the cheese, I find that I want to go to the pepperoni and bacon for easy/satisfying ways to fill me up. I have been trying to reduce my fats a bit as well since I can WAY OVEREAT fat.

I’m right on this same line of questioning with you, and I will surely keep you posted on how my n=1 is going.

Let me add this though, I am going to continue with weekly 48-72 hour fasts and I usually do 20:4 IF daily as well. But, and perhaps more importantly, I have started to focus more on 1-2x weekly super slow strength training. In fact, I’ll be at it this afternoon, and I LOVE it!

Therefore, I think I may be giving myself an excuse to increase my protein levels since my body can use it for cell repair…I hope! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :bacon:

(Liz ) #176

I can totally relate to your post!! I’m also introducing super slow resistance training & though I am just doing it at home & not too consistent yet I’m excited about the possibilities, so, high five!

Yes keep me posted, very interested in your experiences. I also OMAD most days unless I’m super hungry at lunch time, then I eat to keep my fasting schedule from getting samey & keep my body guessing. Same with trying to vary caloric intake day to day.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #177

Daily fast check in…Currently at 35 hours headed to 72. Already hitting some salt this morning. Good Luck today, my friends.

(Liz ) #178

At hour 37. Had what I think was an episode of low blood sugar this morning? Very upsetting. I’m totally fine now. I’ve got a head cold & took decongestants on an empty stomach overnight, wondering if these messed with my liver’s ability to make me some glucose as it was trying to process my Benedryl?

I woke early to a car alarm, so not enough sleep, either. I was making my coffee when suddenly I felt overall unwell & had to sit, I was hot & cold, sweating, pale, slight nausea, light headed, shaky sensation, roaring in my ears, weird vision. I checked my pulse it seemed normal.

I’ve never had this before & thought maybe it was electrolytes. I waited until I could stand then quickly got myself a mag & a potassium capsule washed down with super salty water.

It all passed eventually after about 10 minutes, but oy! No thank you. I’m drinking my coffee with butter now & feel totally fine. I will probably break my fast earlier than planned, though, at lunch rather than at dinner. Try again next week when I’m not sick.

(Arlene) #179

I cook large roasts, make pots of soup or stir-fries, several pork chops instead of a few. Bottom line, cook more when you cook, then tell him to eat off the left-overs for a few days. Works for me.

(Liz ) #180

Yes! I will do that more. Just have to remember to buy/cook more than we need on non-fasting weeks. Over the past 18 years I’ve gotten super good at making only exactly as much dinner as we need with no leftovers. Just a matter of learning new habits.