January 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(Lynne Hurley Perry) #2

Sounds like a nice balance of feast and fasting. It is important to enjoy holidays and traditions.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #3

Currently at 45 hours and going strong. Will end this one at 72 hours.

(Liz ) #4

Thank you for starting the post and happy new year!

(Liz ) #5

I ended 2017 below 170 as was my fervent wish. Phew! My goal for 2018 is to incorporate exercise & try to fast my way down to 150 or lower. Here’s to a fresh year of fasting with friends!

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #6

@LizinLowell I have no doubt you will reach your goal.

(Becky Searls) #7

Awesome! Here is a link to a topic I made yesterday for any interested in doing a New Years fast and wanting some moral support!

(Marie Dantoni) #8

My goals are to incorporate more fasting, to get back to exercising, and to see if I can successfully let go of tracking.

(Ivete C) #9

Happy New Year everyone :smile:
I am just back to London after a wonderful week in NYC, feeling super jet lagged … decided to start right now 23:30 (Uk time) a water and black coffee only fast, hopefully a 7 day one. I have done 5 day ones last year. Wish me luck lol

(Dawn) #10

Hello ALL;

Happy NEW YEAR! I took the last 2 1/2 weeks off from Keto (well sorta). I continued to IF, but allowed myself carbs, sugar…whatever came up during the holiday, I ate. But this was not just a random cheat. It was an experiment to understand how my weight would change, what my ketosis readings would be (got a keto mojo for Christmas), how i would feel, how many carbs I could introduce, what type of carbs, my energy levels, etc. My keto reading was pretty consistently 0.5. I have no idea if that is good or bad, can someone help? Also, I ate everything. I had homeade cake, ice cream, veggies for days, homeade pizza, homeade cookies and a couple of homeade pancakes with syrup. Things that I did NOT have because there was no craving: rice, standard bread, pasta, crackers, potatoes, noodles, candy, soda, juice, alot of processed food or fruit. When all was said and done, I had only gained about 6-8 pounds, most of which I imagine may be water. I am now on hour 13 of an open ended fast. I will go as long as I can until I start to not feel well. I hope that the little carb binge will help me and push up my metabolism. I am just stunned that I didn’t gain more weight. I wonder if I am at a new set point? I was originally up 10 pounds but I loss 3 pounds after only 13 hours of fasting. Can anyone give me advice as to why the weight didn’t go higher with me eating so much junk? Is it because I was still doing IF maybe? I collected good data during the carb-up but the weight confuses me. If the weight holds, this is really good news because it means that I will be able to handle maintenance and keep weight managable even if I am not strictly keto for a day or two.

Goals for 2018-

• Make goal weight of 176 and then re-evaluate (I’m currently 40 pounds away)
  • Incorporate weight training, isometrics and yoga to restructure my Grinch-like body
  • Track my ketosis and blood glucose more efficiently with my new keto mojo
  • Do a N=1 experiment on artificial sweetners to determine which ones I can tolerate
  • Completely reverse my insulin resistence and have a normal A1c, normal BP, normal cholesterol (goal I already achieved in 2017, but I want to maintain it)
  • Start sampling more keto recipes that can help me with maintenance
  • Transition my kids to KETO lifestyle with significant reduction in sugars (hopefully medical tests will show improvements for them as well)

(Liz ) #11

Very kind of you @rustyk61 ! I really appreciate the encouragement. I’m cheering you on as well!

(Dawn) #12

@LizinLowell I am so excited to spend this year watching you achieve your goal. I know if you make your goal, then there is hope for me. I started in a similiar place as you. I am so proud of you and so happy to be a part of your journey. You are absolutely going to kill it in 2018!!

(Dawn) #13

Moved question to a more appropriate thread.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #14

Currently at 64 hours and just had a little salt. I’ll breeze right through to 72 hours and have something for dinner with a glass of wine.

Happy new year. Doing 20/4 warrior fasts today and the remainder of the work-week.

(KCKO, KCFO) #16

And I am cheering both of you, along with all the other posters here on as well.

Let’s make 2018 a great year for us all.

KCFO
KCKO

(Liz ) #17

@collaroygal @Goal179 Wow, yeah! I feel like I have a super power with all this good will backing me up! Thank you so much! I know we GOT THIS! With all this science and bacon, we cannot be stopped LOLOLOL!

(Liz ) #18

Right on! Looking at the calendar for when I can schedule my next 72, thinking starting Sat night after dinner. Do you have to ease back into eating like I do? If i don’t reintroduce food slowly and carefully I get what Richard calls disaster pants lol

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #19

Absolutely I do. Once I made the mistake after a 72 hour fast of eating a pound of pork chops…:exploding_head::flushed: I relearned the saying to never trust a fart.

(Liz ) #20

LOLOLOL! I do always say “Never trust a fasting fart” and that holds true ending the fast as well :rofl: OK well then take it easy, friend :smile:

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #21

Thank You @LizinLowell I’ll probably have some chicken and riced cauliflower tonight. I already have a 96 hour fast planned for next week and then the week after that, another 72. That should be enough for January.