Interesting - American Pigs too lean

(David) #1

Check out this article on how American Pigs are too lean.

Another Problem With America: Our Skinny Pigs Make Lousy Bacon
The Wall Street Journal

A hankering for lardier pork chops and greasier sausages has butchers scrambling to acquire the porky breeds of yore. Read the full story

shared from Apple News

(Sophie) #2

I’m more than happy to give them all my excess fattening Carbs!

(KCKO, KCFO) #3

My extra thick sliced bacon from Costco, says right on the page " made from European pork bellies". So I am good in the bacon fat department.

I see a similar problem with beef. There are some lean, lean steaks out there, and I mean ribeyes and chuck, not just sirloin. I used to think it was because of the drought last year that caused a some cattle to go to market early, but they’re still selling the nasty stuff this year.

(Arlene) #5

Get your bacon from a small farmer that raises heritage breeds. There are many of these pig farmers all across America, and they often raise their pigs humanely, out in the sunshine. We raise a batch of Gloucestershire Old Spots every year. I cure my own bacon. Plenty of healthy fat on these pigs.

(Jane Reed) #6

I scarcely buy pork any more, aside from bacon, because it’s too damn DRY.

(Jeremy Storie) #7

Yep bacon, ribs, or a shoulder roast is all I ever eat. Everything else is just too lean.

(jay) #8

Pigs were origally bred for the fat, they were the farmers walking barrel of oil. Their meat content was a secondary use.

You are right about the pork shoulder, I buy the cheap fatty steaks then salt pepper and broil…mmmmm.

(KCKO, KCFO) #9

So you need to wrap those tenderloins etc. in bacon of course, dryness problem solved.

(Jane Reed) #10

Problem solved for you, perhaps, but despite the addition of fat to intrinsically dry meat, I find it remains dry.

I recently made the mistake of buying a rotisserie chicken at Costco. Even the dark meat was not succulent. I have put pats of butter on it. What I get is meat dry in the mouth accompanied by a buttery sauce.

(Sophie) #11

This afternoon I was craving those Honest To God Chicharones! I’m definitely going to stop by that market on Weds.!

Does anyone know of some bacon products that don’t add sugar? Since going Keto I have never been able to find a bacon that did not have a little sugar snuck into it below the radar of the labeling guidelines.
Thank you,

(jay) #13

Gwaltney is the name, it comes it is the only locally available bacon I’ve found that adds no sugar at all, not even as a preservative. Which is more than I can say about.mortan salt as they add sugar as an anti caking agent. This miraculous sugar free bacon can be found at, in all places, your local Wal-Mart. Oh and don’t share this with the other keto peeps, we don’t want.to drive up the price.:sunglasses:

Edited to include photos

(Chris) #14

Things are getting better. Producers like Compart Farms are very in tune with genetics bringing back fat content in the pigs.

www.compartduroc.com

Even Smithfield realizes this and has made large changes in their process.

As a competition bbq cook, Ive seen pork get better and better over the last few years. Compart Duroc is incredible pork. Firm, red, and highly marbled

Hey thank you kreb. I will try to track this down at my local Walmart.

(jay) #16

Glad i could help, I remember shredding ingredient labels for any hint of sugars, I teach chemistry and i remember wondering how others possibly could run that gauntlet …I can’t express the exasperation I felt when, out of habit, I read a salt container and found sugar! (Dextrose to prevent caking)

(Chris) #17

Brother bought a Mangalitsa/red wattle hog and made bacon. Was a little shocked when he sliced it

You are right about the Morton salt. I just checked mine an it says dextrose. Did not a law get passed with the latest farm type bill that allows food manufacturers to not print some ingredients on their labels?

(Cindy Shepard) #19

Kirkland Low Sodium bacon from Costco contains no sugar. And to be honest, I find many brands of bacon to be overly salty, so I prefer the low sodium component anyway.

(jay) #20

Yeah, it’s not a lot of sugar but it can add up quick when your trying to keep carbs at less than 20g. The sources of ancient sea bed salt seem to offer the richest nutritional chemistry, sodium/potassium and other trace minerals ratios but don’t contain the plastics and other modern contaminants of “sea salt”. There is supposed to be such a “clean” source in Utah but I haven’t tracked it down. Instead, I went kosher in the short term