I'm Near To Keto

(Vanessa) #1

I’ve been on the Keto diet for 7 days. I lost 4 lbs. then gained 2 back.
I’m so tired I can barely get off the couch. This whole weekend I laid around.
I’m Type 2 diabetes and have been so fatigued the last few years I don’t know what
to do. But I know I must lose weight. I am 5’5" and weigh 220.
I’d like to get off the Type 2 meds and get down to around 150.
I don’t get it. I mean I don’t get the Keto thing. I have an app that I was tracking my intake.
I ate around 1300 calories a day.
I’m trying to stick to 25 grams of carbs a day. But I only lost 2 pounds.
Any help is truly appreciated.
Good to be here.

(Jane) #2

Not enough calories. Eat more fat and salt.

To adapt your body to burn fats takes 6-8 weeks (or longer). This WOE is not a quick fix or quick weight loss.

But it will absolutely heal your body if you have the patience to stick it out and give it a chance to work.

(Ron) #3

You might find some help here and welcome to the forum.

(Vanessa) #4

Thank you, Janie. What does WOE mean? sorry…LOL.
I kept reading about Keto flu and that I should use more salt and I have been doing that.
Maybe not enough salt. Also I’m going to buy some magnesium pills as I read that helps also.
I will stick it out. I’m so sick of what we were taught as children about how to eat right.
The way I’m eating I HAVE to lose weight sometime.:grinning:
Thank you for the encouragement and help.

(Vanessa) #5

Hi Ron, wow oh wow, that is a good post! Thank you so much for showing it to me,:smiley:

(Bunny) #6

T2D’s need to watch amount of protein (amino acids) intake more carefully (turns to sugar/glucose/glycogen more efficiently[1])? I would start with 3 or 4 oz. per meal and adjust (more or less meat) it from there?

Fatigue/lethargy[2] is normal (i.e. keto flu) in the beginning but after some time usually around the 6 month mark or so when the body eventually adapts (biological functions return to normal), at this later time or 6 month mark; fat (the breakdown of fatty acids/ketones) will become mostly your primary source of energy and not eating enough fat could give that fatigue or tired[2] feeling also (in the future)…

Footnotes:
[1]“…When glycogen (your body’s sugar storage) is low, protein intake is high, or the body is under stress, amino acids from your meals and your muscle become one of your main energy sources. If your body continues to convert amino acids into fuel (gluconeogenesis), it can keep you from getting into ketosis. More…

[2] …making sure potassium, sodium and magnesium intake is sufficient?

I recommend avoiding the scale the first month. There are too many variables with water, digestion, electrolytes. The up-and-down might wear you out emotionally. I think I first weighed myself after 2 weeks and then things went up and down A LOT the next couple of weeks. I’m 6 weeks in and still notice fluctuations.

I found that getting my sodium up to 4 grams did wonders. But this might also cause short-term water retention which is another reason to ignore the scale until you’re a little more adjusted.

I think this way of eating and way of life are so gratifying! I hope you find that to be the case, too. :slight_smile:

(Jane) #8

WOE = Way Of Eating, usually in the context of a keto diet, but not necessarily.

SAD = Standard American Diet

This may help! A list of the common acronyms we use round these parts…

(Vanessa) #9

Okay, thanks to you all. How about vision?:eyeglasses: Anyone have blurry vision?
Should I take a magnesium pill every day?
I don’t like the taste of Erythritol. It seems Stevia is sweeter. Is it or is it just me?
And okay…I’ll stop weighing every morning :wink: