I think extended fasting is bad

(Robert C) #81

I think a very small amount of calories over a very long time would hurt your metabolism - slowing it and leaving you in a bad situation. Eating no calories over the same long period of time would provoke the body’s survival mechanisms - muscle preservation, pure fat burning, autophagy etc. I think you would have more muscle (and less body fat) at the end of a pure water fast than a restricted calorie diet.

You REALLY need to read the links these kind people are sending you.

You are coming off like a protein powder salesman or a “bro science” body builder type because you haven’t looked into the body’s reaction to water only extended fasts.

These forums are to share information for everyone’s betterment.

Debate is good to seek out good new ideas but, it can go too far without some self-reflection of your position once in a while.

(icky) #82

I think you should write a book about this.

(Allie) #83

Read the info given to you, every question you’re asking has been answered repeatedly. You’re just making yourself look stupid now.

(Allie) #84

Or at least read one.

And my dog will insist that cat poop is great food for dogs. :joy:

(Allie) #86

Ewww yes mine does this too! And fox poo is amazing to roll in. Sheep poo is especially tasty :nauseated_face:

(icky) #87

My dog LOVES eating sheep poop.

But is fussy about eating dog food.

Sometimes I think I’ll just go out to the paddock and collect sheep poop instead of buying expensive grain-free dog food!

(icky) #88

Snap! :smile:

(back and doublin' down) #89

sorry, imho, your OP wasn’t about interesting or intelligent conversation. It was baiting for an argument.

and I’m almost disappointed in adding to this thread except for supporting those people who have tried to take it in an actual discussion oriented direction

The article you linked does not counter any of my claims.Its caloric restriction vs intermitent fasting,not 2 month fast.

It shows intermitent fasting or even alternate fasting is superior.It also shows metabolism speeds up to 4 days.Everything I already know and agree.Both the study and authors N=1 shows fasting 2 days a week or every other day does not cause muscle loss,I never disagreed with this.

2 month of no food,thats whole different thing.Your metabolism boost wont last 60 days,nor will your muscle.Autophagy is a powerfull,but it wont fully replace 3 - 5 kg of protein needed to avoid muscle & skin loss.

(TJ Borden) #91

As a person still over 400 (but getting much closer to being under), AMEN. I’m okay losing a little muscle mass. I haven’t done a Dexa scan, but I have a muscle mass that has carried a nearly 500 lb frame for over a decade, and as s carpenter, so relatively physical work.

I declined Chemotherapy as I was reluctantly willing to accept that 2017 might well have been the last year of my life. A younger woman may well have made a different decision.

If you read the post about the Breakfast of Champions there is a “cancer” tag. One update has more information about what I did. These include fasting, herbs, Bob Beck machine, supplements and getting my bowels moving. I went to a Naturopath in Queensland and she was terrific.

(Alec) #93

You could use the bat-phone to ask @carl … if you liked it so much, he might publish it. That’s what he does! There I did it for you.
Cheers
Alec

(Rob) #94

Only anecdote but @Jerrettscott just did 63 days and documented it a bit (though not to N=1 experiment levels).

Obviously this was from a very high baseline weight but that isn’t really the debate here (more on protein). As you’ve pointed out this title and most of the thread is basically a troll and it’s responses and is largely a fun waste of everyone’s time.

(Rob) #95

The primary definition of Godwin’s (not Goodwin’s) Law is merely the mentioning of “old eponymous 'stache face” so you made the cut. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Alec) #96

Absolutely. Staying well away.

(Rob) #97

This is important. It is a key mechanism that renders practically moot the spurious position of the OP. The real issue ISN’T “IF you lose muscle mass” with a long fast but is the muscle mass you lose meaningful/important to your health/capabilities. Since only really obese people are likely to fast 2 months (or mostly over 1 week) the significant weight loss mitigates the need for the original muscle mass (which was developed to carry the larger load).

I doubt that was the intention and this (NO MM loss) is a strawman argument since the real question is “is the muscle mass loss meaningful”… in the case of the obese person, probably not (and there is no anecdotal evidence from those who have done >1month fasts that it is). Obviously outliers of lean people doing long EFs may be an issue but they are either a bit nuts, explicitly trading muscle for extreme autophagy (they are probably fat fasting), or treating cancer where they are minimizing protein, etc.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #98

And the basic rule of Godwin’s Law is that once one has to resort to bringing Hitler into a debate, said person had just lost said debate.

(Rob) #99

Yes, this was the later (somewhat) logical extension… originally, it was a statistical observation that the longer an internet conversation went on, the more certain it became that “ole bowl cut” would come up/be invoked. Later the implication of actually doing so was added by others, IIRC.

(Maxwell) #100

I love you! Thank you!