I think extended fasting is bad

Why not go on extreme cut rather than fast? 50g of protein and 11grams of essential fat is like 300 calories,you will keep far more muscle mass,your hormones and metabolism wont decrease as much,at the end you probably lose just as much weight or even more.

These extended water fast sound like BS raw vegan would do,yes autophagy will supply aminos for while and liver have vitamin stores but it doesnt work for two months.I think completly eliminating food is not optimal,I would never wilingly go below 300 cal.

(Shayne) #2

It is so much harder to eat a little bit of food than it is to eat nothing at all. I did that diet about ten years ago and then I started binging, so you won’t catch me doing it ever again.

And yes, some of us have enough fat on our bodies to fuel ourselves for months without adding any more to the mix… as our ancestors probably had to do in the harsh winters.

Maybe you don’t and maybe fasting isn’t for you, and that’s fine. Just skip those posts.

(Allie) #3

It seems you would be well advised to learn the science of fasting and how it actually works before making a post like this.

(icky) #4

I find that kinda insulting of my choices to do EF.

Some what more polite wording would be in order, perhaps.

Fat person indeed have energy stores for extended fast,but not protein,not calcium,not many vitamins and minerals.If it helps your food adiction and you dont have enough willpower so you rather eat nothing than small amounts,I cant argue with that but I think most people have sufficient selfcontrol to be able to follow very low calorie diet,if you can fast two months,then being on 300 cals a day for two months is not much different.

Our ancestors were forced,they had no other choice,when they did extended fast,it wasnt for health reasons.And secondly,I highly doubt two month fast was as common as some people make ot appear,pemmican was a thing long long time,also in winter,animals didnt suddenly disappear,they hunted the whole year.

(Shayne) #6

It is obvious from your posts on the subject that you have a giant gaping hole in your education of how metabolism and fasting work.

You should do some reading on the science before coming in here and bashing people. Otherwise, you’re just a troll.

Again, if it doesn’t work for you, then don’t do it.

I learned some science,I am no expert but I am not noob.I believe up to three days its virtualy harmless and up to two weeks not much damage is done but two months thats just too much,atrophy is a thing,the more muscle you have,the more calories you burn,muscle loss = slower fat loss.

(Allie) #8

As said above by @smsherbert -

If it’s not for you that’s fine, but no need to use your very clear lack of knowledge against the people who choose to do EF.

(icky) #9

I hope you are aware that there are people doing vegetarian and vegan Keto on this forum.

I assume you don’t want anyone insulting your dietary choices either.

It sounds to me like you want to pick a fight.

Maybe you should go and check your electrolytes.

(icky) #10

Uh huh.

(Maxwell) #11

You are right, Fasting is counter-intuitive – initially, it doesn’t make sense given conventional wisdom however, if you want a truly scholarly answer to the complex subject of Fasting, I would recommend The Obesity Code Podcast. Dr Jason Fung and Megan Ramos explain the answer to your question.

Carl Franklin narrates each episode. He interviews actual patients who have been under the care of Dr. Fung & Megan Ramos. You will hear details of their real life experience with Fasting AND you will hear Dr. Fung and Megan Ramos explain in layman terms how Fasting works. Also, Carl Franklin has the most beautiful music playing in the background.

May I suggest starting with the episode ‘Counter Intuitive’ – you will love this Podcast.

By the way, does anyone know what that music is – it’s crazy-beautiful music.

(Shayne) #12

I think it’s part of Carl’s Music to Code By.

1. I never wrote anything bad about vegan & vegetarian keto
  2. I dont want to pick a fight,I never wrote anything disrespectful in this thread.
  3. Maybe you should show science that proves me wrong

(Doug) #14

BILBIL, I think the “lose muscle” thing is mostly wrong, a thing that many people have heard before and fear, while in reality it really does not work that way. I grant you that it is possible for people to lose muscle, as with involuntary starvation, imprisonment, etc. Yet I have never seen anybody say, “I fasted and lost a substantial amount of muscle.”

There’s the famous case of Angus Barbieri, who fasted for 382 days, went from 456lbs/207kg to 180lbs/82kg and maintained a healthy weight afterward. He did not lose a harmful amount of muscle. At his final weight, he was quite normal as to musculature.

There are hormonal means by which the body preserves muscle, and other protein sources besides muscle - all the damaged, old, or faulty cellular parts that autophagy works on, and our skin - we tend to lose skin as we lose weight, and our skin is roughly one-sixth of our body mass.

The problem with “extreme cuts” and other forms of calorie-restriction is that eventually they lead to one’s metabolism slowing down. (I don’t know how long this takes, on average, and I wish I did; interesting stuff.)

Yet with fasting, after 3 or 4 days, one’s metabolism increases by ~14%.

(icky) #15

I find that offensive
a) to vegans
b) to people doing EF

I’m not sure what you think “BS” is other than insulting.

But maybe it’s an abbreviation for a compliment I am unaware of.

Beautiful Stuff?
Brainy Stuff?
Brilliant Stuff?

1 You claim its obvious I lack knowledge but you didnt refute anything I wrote.
2. I did,and I found not eating two months causes atrophy,nutrient deficiency and reduced rate of fat loss.

(icky) #17

Maybe you should research stuff before you sound like a troll.

I am certainly not going to waste my breath discussing fasting with someone who starts a conversation the way you did.

RAW vegans are 99% high carb low fat,often juicers/fruitarians.Especialy the fruitarians are bat shit crazy and even “normal” or keto vegans knows that.If there ever comes day I would want to insult keto vegans I will write keto vegans.There is many different types of vegans,if you are keto vegan your welcome and I have nothing against you but I will not say sorry when you get offended when I express unflattering opinion on the delusional raw vegan fruitarians.

(icky) #19

Well, it doesn’t matter who you insult, it makes YOU look like a :poop: head.

(icky) #20

Anyway, I’m going to spend my day doing something more productive than this.

I’ll leave it up to others to argue with you.