How many of you watch calories?

(Todd Allen) #101

I started out doing every 3 months but as I’m getting more dialed in I’ve slowed to every 4 months. Depending on how the next scan goes I may slow to every 6 months. But if I make a big change or try an expensive supplement or pharmaceutical I might follow it with another 3 month scan. I can get reasonable priced scans about 10 minutes from home. If the cost or effort was different that would factor into the frequency.

This is in reply to others who have commented on my post as well as Baytowvin.

I see you are mostly skirting around the issue in hand, and picking on the details of my post instead (a post which was deliberately supposed to be general & not specific).

There are comments such as ‘they wouldn’t have the appetite’ or ‘I couldn’t eat that much’ NONE OF THIS MATTERS.

The only thing that matters is this:-

With the keto WOE, if your average person consumes 10 000 calories a day for a prolonged period of time, THEY WILL PUT ON WEIGHT.

With the keto WOE, if your average person consumes 300 calories a day for a prolonged period of time, THEY WILL lose weight (until they eventually die probably).

Which if true, means that calories do matter. And yes, I defend my earlier statement that :-

If it were true that keto WOE meant CICO didn’t matter any more, we would see thousands of people (of the millions on a keto diet…I’m making these figures up for demonstration purposes!) eating 3000, 4000, 5000+ calories a day and losing weight!

There are plenty of people who would eat this amount if they could. I’ll bet that a large percentage of this forum have at some stage in their life consumed this sort of amount without blinking an eye.

(TJ Borden) #103

No one is saying calories don’t matter. Of course they matter. You just don’t need to count them.

Oxygen is important too, but I don’t meter my breathing, I just let it happen naturally.

You’re still confusing how satiety works on a SAD and on a keto/fat adapted way of eating.

On a SAD diet a person could easily (well, still with some effort) eat 10,000 calories in a meal; I’ve done it many times. Usually it’s on one of the trips through the drive through when I order multiple sodas so that he person at the window will assume all the food wasn’t JUST for me… it was :pensive:

By dropping the carbs and adding the fat, you’re not going to eat 10,000 calories without going well beyond satiety…even then you’d probably hard pressed to get there without throwing up.

I tracked religiously for about the first 6 weeks. It helped me identify hidden carbs and learn how to keep them below 20g net. I found that some days I had to add extra snacks to eat even 1000 calories, and on the weekends I would be closer to 1600 calories. I decided I was fine with this, since the average over the course of the week was a very reasonable number.

When fall tax season hit I had to stop tracking. We have catered dinners every night and I just don’t have time to try and figure out all the ingredients to log it. I know what to avoid now and where to be suspicious of ingredients, and I’m comfortable with eating to satiety and not tracking calories.

I would not have been as comfortable with this in the beginning - I think tracking was a crucial part of my journey, primarily for learning where the carbs were hiding, but also to get a good feel for when I might be under- or over-eating.

(Charlotte) #105

Uhhhh…banning me seems a little harsh?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #106

I eat mainly the same things everyday as well.

(Brian) #107

Why?

Or maybe “the same things” encompasses more than I’m thinking when I read that.

I rarely eat the same things every day. One day I might eat beef. The next I may eat chicken. The next I may eat fish. And there are variations… beef vs bison, chicken vs turkey, tuna vs salmon, and each have favorite things that go along with them nicely that may or may not be what we like with the other variations.

We like a lot of variety here. Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying, not sure. No offense intended, not in the slightest. I’m mainly curious. It may be that what you do is what you need to do and that a certain regimen helps you in ways that don’t have a lot to do with the actual food itself. ?

:slight_smile:

@mememe
You said:

The only thing that matters is this:-
With the keto WOE, if your average person consumes 10 000 calories a day for a prolonged period of time, THEY WILL PUT ON WEIGHT.
With the keto WOE, if your average person consumes 300 calories a day for a prolonged period of time, THEY WILL lose weight (until they eventually die probably).

OK, so now I disagree with each of your 3 statements.

Firstly, these are most definitely not the only things that matter.

Secondly, with eating keto fat-to-satiety and reduced carbs would make eating 10,000 cals a day for a sustained period an impossibility for any normal person.

Thirdly, eating 300 cals a day, is fasting, not keto (as usually discussed here). And yes, it causes weight loss. Has anyone disputed this? Not sure why you even mentioned it, because it isn’t relevant to the discussion.

Look, I mean this with respect, and I am not trying to attack or denigrate, but the examples you are using are unhelpful, and they seem to be the main reason you are getting these responses.

Every time someone disagrees with you, you escalate your statements with even moreover-the-top examples, and cause a knee jerk reaction (certainly in myself, but it looks like in others too). I can’t sit by and let such OTT statements stand. Basically, if you weren’t using extreme examples of calorie intake, and making wide (also wild) generalisations, you would be getting a constructive discussion, instead of all this push-back.

Announcing that random normal people will die if they eat too much or too little is probably not helping either.

Once again, from my point of view, counting calories is a waste of my time. Controlling carbs is much more effective, and it is hormones (including insulin) which are the main determinants of my weight gain/loss. Am I ‘normal’? Nope. Doesn’t make my statement wrong. Nor does it mean my statement won’t apply to ‘normal’ people too.

I fear a lot of this discussion has devolved into semantics and that perhaps both “sides” are talking past each other at this point. For my $.02, I will say that I came into KetogenicForums thinking that CICO was settled science and that I was going to have to incorporate a 10%/15%/20% reduction in calories before I was going to lose weight. I found (well, I was shown) two really good articles on the subject that helped me gain a much better understanding. For anyone interested, I’d highly recommend:

1. Why the First Law of Thermodynamics is Completely Irrelevant
  1. Yes. It’s Not as Simple as Calories in Calories out but Calories Still Count. Here’s Why.

(TJ Borden) #110

Same here. One day I’ll have pan fried pork belly. Next day oven roasted pork belly, then another day deep fried pork belly.

I like variety :rofl:

(Zenjen) #111

I’ve watched some of the youtube videos about counting calories on keto and i found different opinions, so i was very confused at first. First 2 weeks i was tracking every meal and calories in it, but soon i was becoming obsessed with counting calories. Thats why i decided i will not count anymore, so i started to listen to my body and i ate when i felt hungry. I think that this method helps me to connect with my body more. The most positive effect is that i dont stress about my calorie intake. I think that our body gives us signals that tell us when we are full and when we need more food, we just have to listen to it. I am still losing weight so it works for me, maybe it would work for you too. I am no expert on this diet and i just gave my advice. (My english isn’t very good and im sorry if i wrote some of the words wrong)

(Empress of the Unexpected) #112

My two cents - when I stick to meat and vegetables, it is impossible (for me, at least) to overeat and even need to think about calories. If I start binging on nuts and cheese, then I note my calories for the day go WAY up (I once ate like 1,000 calories in pumpkin seeds at one sitting). But that is rare, and I get back on track the next day. I do believe, that if I binged on nuts every single day for a month, that yes, I would gain weight. But short of that it would be hard for me to gain weight again unless I went back on the SAD diet. Most of the calories on the SAD diet come from carbs. No carbs, no worries! I understand there is the diminished appetite aspect of keto, but I have not experienced it. Sticking to mainly meat and veggies is keeping me where I want to be, without even thinking about it.

(KetoQ) #113

I add peanut butter to the Fage full fat yogurt. It takes the edge off the tart and sour taste, while making it more creamy. It has been my go to keto dessert.

I use the run in the evening but I would run close to houses so hopefully someone would hear me scream if someone tried to steal me.

I eat a lot of the same things as well. I don’t crave a lot of variety. I try out new recipes from time to time but steak, eggs and bacon and taco salad are easy and delicious.

Your English is better than many native speakers :wink:

(TJ Borden) #117

Better than mine…and it’s my only language. Well, I used to be pretty proficient at pig Latin, but I’m a little out of practice.

Welcome, by the way.

(KetoQ) #118

I think you should count calories on keto, if only to convince yourself that calories from healthy whole foods … do not matter.

It can be liberating to have an understanding of how you can eat lots of healthy food and healthy fat and be perfectly satisfied. That’s what makes it so easy for me to not do a cheat day, or even a cheat meal.

For example, I ate a little over 3,000 calories yesterday, including 211g of fat, and went down 1.2 pounds. Now, that loss is 90-95% water weight. My weight fluctuates 8-10 pounds a week, especially when I do a mid week fast. But I don’t fret over what I eat, and when I feel I overeat, as long as I keep it low carb.

Tracking what you eat will help you understand how your body responds. And that may help give you more control over your weight and your health.

That said, I’d don’t believe in what I call “linear CICO” but you do need to create a calorie deficit to lose weight. I get the sense from reading these boards that the first 50 pounds can be easy for some people, as it was for me. It’s the “low hanging fruit” so to speak. But then it can get harder to lose. And I think you have to pay closer attention to what you eat if continued weight loss is a main goal.

Or, you can increase your activity level and continue to eat higher calories, which I would recommend, so you keep your BMR up. We saw what happened to the Biggest Loser people with calorie restriction.

(Jane) #119

I watch my calories…

go right into my mouth!

Count them? Nope.

(Mike W.) #120

Do you ever fast in between these feasts? How many times a day do you eat?