How many of you watch calories?

(Charlotte) #81

@TheWelshWalker According to this (and the linked article from which it gathers its info), Plain, unsweetened yogurt is MUCH lower carb than the nutrition labels indicate. The live active cultures eat the sugars (lactose) in the dairy, but the nutrition labels measure the lactose as if this weren’t the case, thus falsely inflating the carb content:

I generally make yogurt at home in my instant pot. I use Half and Half instead of whole milk, let it ferment for 20 hours rather than the standard 8-10, and strain out the excess whey once finished, to make it as low carb as possible. It’s insanely delicious.

(Allie) #82

Oh no… other supermarkets sell it too, maybe you’ll find it elsewhere?

(Bob M) #83

Ok, people who say that 50 pounds of weight loss over 6 months isn’t that fast, should be banned. It took me 3 years to get the same loss, and that’s with tons of intermittent and long term fasting. I’m about 5 years in and still about 50 pounds down.

@mememe said:
I suspect that, if 100 people from this forum decided to take part in a trial:-
Keep carbs to less than 20g/day
eat 5000 calories a day with no extra excercise
keep the 75% / 5% / 20% rule
For 2 months, 98 would put on a LOT of weight and 2 would probably die :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m afraid your example is nonsensical.
5% carbs in a 5000 cal diet is FAR too high to get the benefits of keto.
And 75% fat in 5000 cal diet would be impossible for most people, including myself.

Actually, speaking of myself, i can fail to lose weight on a 1000 cal carby diet, and (thankfully) don’t gain weight on 3000 cal of strict keto. Yes, I have done both.

Calories are not a significant factor for me. Carbs and hormones are.

(Running from stupidity) #85

Except that that runs in direct contradiction of your earlier assessment that Keto suppresses the appetite.

(TJ Borden) #86

Agree…mostly. As you point out, appetite drops, although that’s from fat adaptation, not ketosis on its own.

Which is why it’s weird that your next statement is:

If someone is regularly consuming 5000+ calories while following a ketogenic way of eating, then they are either 600 lbs and need it, or they are eating past satiety… significantly past satiety.

There actually quite a bit there to dissect, but I’ll try to hit the major points:

I agee that if someone were to eat 5000 calories following your macro breakdown that they would likely gain weight… so find me that person.

As far as the macro percentage, the fat includes fat from you body, which is damn near impossible to count, because you really have no idea what your body is pulling from storage. The way you know when you need to supplement stored energy with energy from your plate is hunger. The way you know you don’t need more energy from your plate is satiety.

The fear many have is that a lack of satiety is what got them overweight to begin with, but once you’re following a ketogenic way of eating AND have become fat adapted, you can start trusting those signals again.

I will often criticize the macro percentages because there’s no way the same percentages will apply for everyon, but more importantly, it’s important to recognize that the percentages are a snap shot of what happens on a ketogenic diet, NOT what you’re targeting.

Sure there will always be exceptions. But MOST people don’t need to count anything as long as they stick to the basics:

• 20 grams or less of carbohydrates
  • moderate protein scaled to lean body mass
  • fat to satiety

I really like this breakdown of the purposes for keto here. I’m tracking right now, but I’m also only a week in, and it’s not a particularly busy time in my life. I think I’ll lose track of it at some point, and want to have some intuition about amounts and my own satiety signals by the time that happens.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #88

By eating fat to satiety. This means I stop when I’m full, and don’t eat again until I am hungry. It also means that I have no need of counting macros or calories. I just make sure my carbohydrate intake is a low as possible and that I’m getting enough protein. Then I stop worrying about it. Not having to be perpetually hungry makes this a way of eating that I can do for the rest of my life, and not having to count calories preserves my sanity.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #89

Personally, I find butter, cream, etc. to be highly satisfying, and when I stop being hungry, I stop eating. There’s a point where the thought of any more food makes me feel a bit queasy, and it happens long before my stomach actually gets full (I remember that feeling from my sugar-burning days!). To me, it just makes a lot of sense not to try to outthink 2,000,000 years of evolution.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #90

Why can’t my body raise its metabolic rate and waste some of those extra calories? Why can’t some of my white fat start acting more like brown fat? In other words, if the body can compensate for caloric restriction, why can’t it compensate for caloric abundance? I hope this doesn’t sound too snarky, because these are serious questions, and I’d be truly interested in your answers.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #91

I sometimes put heavy cream on my Greek yoghurt, to sweeten it a bit, but I now enjoy it plain, as well. Funny, how last year it was too bitter to eat without a lot of added stevia!

The same thing has happened with unsweetened chocolate. I now enjoy it plain, when I couldn’t bear the unadulterated taste, this time last year.

(TJ Borden) #92

:exploding_head: GENIUS

(Wendy) #93

I have too! Delicious!

(Robert Dockstader) #94

I believe I read somewhere that you don’t count the natural sugars in yogurt. If you look at Fage plain 5% milk fat for example it lists sugars but it was said that something happens in digestion to the point that you don’t need to worry about it.

I use to eat yogurt all the time as well and was disappointed that I couldn’t eat it until I found that article.

(Terence Dean) #95

:raised_hand: I lost 60lbs in 22 weeks, do I get banned now? :rofl: I’m deliberately losing it slowly.

(Todd Allen) #96

I’m a special snowflake and standard advice in pursuit of better body composition doesn’t work particularly well for me. I self experiment trying to find something that works better. Each time I significantly change my approach to diet, typically every 3 to 4 months, I track carefully for a few days in cronometer to dial in some meals for the targets of my new phase. Then I mostly stick to those meals with modest variations for the duration of the diet phase and I can roughly guesstimate calories and nutritional breakdown. In between each phase I get a DEXA scan to help evaluate how it worked out.

(Troy) #97

This
BAM!
Yeah, I’m boring KETO so I eat a lot of the same things as well …minor tweaks…butter here, bacon there :smile:

easy to guesstimate to nearest 1/10th of a calorie :rofl:

@brownfat how often are you scheduling ur DEXA’s out each time?
Every 3-4 months?

I almost at month 4, so I may go scan again

(Lindsey) #98

Wow, a lot of overnight posts to catch up on! :smiley:

I only have 14 lb to lose, but they are a very, very stubborn 14 lb. I’d like to take up running again, I had to give up after hurting my hip but it all seems better now… I’m thinking of buying a second hand treadmill so I can run in the evenings without having to worry about being out jogging on my own when it’s dark - I watch too many crime programs to feel safe doing that!

I think I need to lessen the amount I cook, which I have been trying to do but I think I overestimate how much I’ll need. I can have a bowl of something, and plan to keep the rest for the next day but if I know it’s there in the kitchen I can’t help picking at it and eating more. If my freezer was bigger I’d just put a portion in there and lock it away, but mine is tiny.

Thanks for the super long post Charlotte, very interesting. The article about yogurt is interesting too. :slight_smile:

Do any of you do alternate day fasting? Before doing keto I used to do 5:2, which I’m now doing in conjunction with keto, so essentially I fast two days a week (back to back). Everything is so slow though I’m thinking about switching to ADF.

(Running from stupidity) #99

Gotta say, as a journalist, this might be the thing I hate most about the media (overall).

(Lindsey) #100

I used to happily run along a country road, until my sister, who is a police officer, told me there were dodgy people living there and I should be careful. :tired_face: