How many of you watch calories?

(Lindsey) #1

There are so many conflicting opinions on watching calories with keto. Some people say it’s important, some people say it’s not, some people keep it really low, some people don’t pay it any attention… If I eat enough fat to be satiated I’m always over what my keto app tells me I should be sticking to in order to lose weight.
My question is, for weight loss, how many of you keep an eye on calories? How low do you go? How do you manage it when fat has such a high calorie content?

Hungry and Caloric Intake
All things CICO - back from the dead thread
(TJ Borden) #2

I don’t at all. I know some do because they struggle recognizing satiety. Others count based on apps, which in my opinion is completely counterproductive to the way keto works.

An app can’t know your specific metabolism or needs. I find it ironic that most people have come to keto recognizing that we’ve had it all wrong about nutrition for the last 50 years, but then put their faith in an app that is based on the very same info we know to be wrong.

(Lindsey) #3

I don’t like using an app, but I also don’t seem to be losing weight so thought I’d give it a go for a while. :confused:

Do you count anything other than carbs?

I don’t count or track anything anymore. It just got to be too much and I was eating more food just to hit macro numbers. Things have been moving better when I started listening to what my body wants

(Amy Ramadan) #5

For me personally, I don’t count anything. I stay away from major carbs, limiting carb intake to mainly what is in vegetables, sticking to lower carb, keto friendly vegetables. So far it’s working great, I have had great success sticking to this WOE, haven’t once been tempted to cheat and I have lost almost 20 lbs so far!!! I still have a long way to go, but it’s a start!!!

(Brian) #6

I don’t have an app and I don’t count anything. When I first started, I spent quite a lot of time with Mr. Google figuring out what had carbs and how many. I even spent a little time figuring out how much protein was in various things. I’ll still check something occasionally when my curiosity grows large enough to do so.

As for calories, I haven’t a clue how many I eat. I eat as much food as I want to eat and it’s generally two meals a day. (Incidentally, the amount of food that I consume is less than it used to be. I used to eat 2 or 3 dinner plates worth of food at a meal. One is generally sufficient now and I’m perfectly satisfied if not filled to the point where I wouldn’t want more.) The only restriction is on exactly what I eat. If it’s a high carb item, the quantity is extremely restricted. That’s pretty much it.

(TJ Borden) #7

I’ve eliminated most sources of carbs and rarely have any “low carb” versions of stuff, that I don’t even count carbs anymore.

Apps can help for understanding where the carbs are, especially early on, but the issue is following the macro info that’s based on an arbitrary caloric deficit.

A caloric deficit is necessary to lose weight, but it’s a natural byproduct of a ketogenic way of eating, or more specifically, becoming fat adapted.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #8

I didn’t use an app at first but now I sometimes check Chronometer. I usually eat just meat and vegetables every day but If i add in something extra like cheese or nuts I check the carbs to make sure I am not overdoing it.

(Running from stupidity) #9

I count carbs, because we’re still pretty new at it and my wife is reluctant to give up veges altogether :slight_smile:

I use Cronometer, which is great. It also counts calories, but TBH, I really use it to track carbs and protein, but I get plenty of protein and don’t care if I go over my supposed recommended amount, so that’s not really an issue either.

Well, also I’m a data junkie, and having that data makes me feel better.

I counted calories. Then I watched ‘That Sugar Film’. Now…not so much :woman_shrugging:t2:

I counted my calories in the first 4 weeks of keto because…

I wanted to make sure I was eating enough food until it was a habit. I had a super hard time hitting 1400 calories a day.

After that first month I switched to lazy keto and I only count carbs now.

P.S. Should mention 1400 calories for 5’7 starting 267lbs.

(Wendy) #13

I do not. I never had in the past so it’s not something I really think about. I’m definetly lazy keto but really try to only eat, mostly, whole foods. I haven’t done many keto replacement things. It’s working great as I’m just 2 pounds from my goal weight of 135. I was nearly 200 last summer about 189 in January when I stated doing keto.
I started by hearing and seeing the testimonies of those who were on keto and started reading and watching YouTubes, and the more I understood the Why we get fat of insulin and hormones, the less I cared about trying to measure calories. I may be at an advantage because I didn’t yoyo diet and I wasn’t heavy as a child, but I think I became insulin resistant in my late 40s.
So no, I personally don’t count calories. I do eat a pretty good amount of fat though. :slight_smile:

(Troy) #14

I count calories like I do counting sheep b4 falling asleep :wink:
OMAD or 2MAD
It’s just one of those things that I already know just from doing this
Funny, how my body know when I’m at any given point
Kinda hungry, getting full, ravenous, eating just to eat , moody, or forgetting to eat

For me, it all works out to be the same
Better overall
Win-win
Mentally Counting calories or not

Go figure😂

Carnivore, count cows, maybe 2 a year will be enough. The two below.
If I need to go CICO I would cut it down to one. The one on the left.

(TJ Borden) #16

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

They come up to my fence every morning. I think there teasing me. Magnificent beast’s.
Can any one work out the what protein to fat ratio they might be ? In case I ever get snowed in again.

I think he’s saying ‘Eat more Chicken’

(TJ Borden) #19

Exactly what god intended, that’s what.

Praise the lord