How many of you watch calories?

(Alison Bond) #121

I don’t understand how to balance meeting calorie goals and only eating when hungry. I’ve stalled in weight loss and some say eat more calories. But then I’m just force feeding myself.

Yes, this ^

(TJ Borden) #123

I’m out of likes again already so…

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

(Amy Ramadan) #124

That’s a great idea!!! I have been craving sweets for the past day or so, for the first time since I started!! Will have to try this. Thanks :blush:

I’m a ‘boring ketoer’. Just find it easy to get what I need for the day.
Bacon (streaky mostly)
Eggs
Mushrooms, small amounts
Belly pork
Steak
Gammon
Chicken, a little
Bratworst, gorgeous!
Leafy greens

I’m struggling with the greens. I wouldn’t mind switching them up a bit.

(Zenjen) #126

thank you. i guess that extra english classes in high school paid off :smiley:

(Zenjen) #127

i’ve heard that the hormones in womans body can sometimes cause a stall in weight loss. Maybe thats it.

No opinion/questions are ‘snarky’ (at least not in my view!)
I don’t have answers to your questions, sorry. I’m not a medical expert, my views are simply my views.

I would bet that the body CAN compensate for calorific abundance to a point. And I think we know the body can ‘adjust’ it’s metabolic rate, under the right conditions. I agree with 99.9% of what you may find in this forum with regards to ketoing. It all makes good sense to me except the idea, that CICO no longer matters & we don’t need to worry about how many calories we consume. There are people getting the wrong idea, and MIGHT be suffering because of it.

I (like many here) have been dieting most of my life on and off. I have seen countless people not lose weight because they don’t regulate what they put in their mouth. I have also seen countless people ‘stall’ at a ‘plateaux’ . Of all the people I encounter at a stall, 8 out of 10 (a guesstimate) of them haven’t stalled. They have become comfortable with the diet and stopped measuring or counting what they consume, and just estimating instead. They are simply getting it wrong and consuming too much. As soon as they start to be honest with themselves again, they start losing again. And no, I’m not suggesting that plateaux’s don’t exist. I have hit many myself.

My posts are born out of a will to help people if I can. However, they will seem argumentative to some, and just plain wrong to others. I think that a lot of people here are not ready for what I have to say, and maybe I have annoyed enough people on this subject. So perhaps I should end it here.

(TJ Borden) #129

I don’t think anyone is questioning your motives, but many (myself included) will question your conclusions because it differs from both our experiences and what we know about biochemistry.

CICO SEEMS so intuitive, that it’s tough to let go of the concept, but it’s jusy shown to be flawed over and over again. You’ve obviously already embraced most of the concepts around keto, so I’m sure you’ll come around :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The risk of annoying people shouldn’t be a factor at all. This is a forum, and on a platform called “discourse”. Challenging the status quo is how we all got here and how we continue to learn more about how this crazy new lifestyle works.

:):blush:

I hope you’re right. I doubt I’ll come around tho, as I’m not so new to this…sadly.
I took up the Atkins diet when he brought his book out, and lost 6 stone in 7 months ish.

It turns out that I’m an excellent dieter. I have lost 6 - 8 stone several times on different types of diets. However, It’s clear to me nowadays that I’m terrible at changing my WOE and life style :frowning:.

I haven’t touched keto before but, I’m finding out that it’s very close to Atkins.

People who can lose weight dieting, should be very proud of themselves, it is difficult. People who lose weight and keep it off indefinitely, earn my absolute admiration…and just a touch of my jealousy!

What do you mean ‘…out of likes?..’ are they limited here?

(TJ Borden) #132

Want to know the trick? Eat the food your body was designed to eat, and learn to trust your hunger and satiety signals.

How many of those attempts involved counting calories? It works in the short term, keto is for the long haul.

(TJ Borden) #133

Yep… I call bullshit. It drives me nuts.

(Running from stupidity) #134

Well, semantics is “what words mean,” so it’s kinda important, especially in a discussion like this, where posters are trying to deny current science because #dinosaurdogma and so on :slight_smile:

But weren’t those the houses that the bodysnatchers lived in?

+1

(Bob M) #135

I don’t think you can count calories to the point where you can determine what you’re actually eating. For instance, search for the calories in “london broil”, and you’ll get multiple different calories per the same number of ounces. And this doesn’t include how fat content varies.

Then, there are plenty of calories that are simply wrong.

Let’s not even get into the idiotic serving sizes we get into in the US (who eats 2 tablespoons of salsa?).

Then, let’s compare 80% ground beef. I bought some from Costco and did not drain it. I threw it away, as it had too much fat for me. I found it disgusting. I bought 80% from the local store, and it has barely any fat in it not drained.

Let’s say you eat some chicken legs/thighs with the skin? How close to the real calories do you think you’ll be? Unless you separate the skin and the meat before you eat it, you’re not going to get close.

Then realize that the scale can go up or down by pounds per day for me, and how am I to interpret that in light of my calorie intake?

For at least these reasons, I gave up calorie counting many years ago.

(Running from stupidity) #136

:+1::metal::metal::metal:

(Yeah, outta likes)

(TJ Borden) #137

Ditto

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #138

I put heavy cream in with my cream cheese, stir it up (there’s my bicep exercise!) and it takes on the texture (and a bit of a similar flavour) to full fat unsweetened Greek yogurt.

(Brian) #139

A couple of years ago, I’d have probably turned my nose up at peanut butter and yogurt mixed together. But recently, I’ve seen the light! A little sugar free jelly or a few berries on top of that, good eats! :slight_smile:

(Running from stupidity) #140

Necessity is the mother of invention, or something,