How do you stay below 20g of carbs per day and not starve?

(KCKO, KCFO) #21

Ketostix are unreliable. I got an inexpensive breathalyzer, much better indicator of ketone levels. Some use blood monitors, but I don’t puncture myself unless it is REALLY necessary.

If you eat enough fat, you will not feel hungry. Others have suggested some fat bombs additions to coffee, etc. If none of that works for you, just melt butter over the veggies or meats you are eating. It isn’t hard to get plenty of fats.

You might also want to try fasting, either the intermittent fasting protocol or extended fasts. It is surprisingly easy to get out of the habit for eating every few hrs. especially if you eat enough fat and protein.

And Bottonwillow didn’t say darker than spinach, just dark leaf lettuce, so that leaves out iceburg lettuce. Arugula, romaine, butterhead are all great. You can also use some kale or swiss chard in salads.

And in order for your body to utilize the iron in spinach, it needs to be heated above 160F, and that is cooked. Many carbs need this as well as the spinach. Steam the spinach with a pat of butter and see how that goes for you.

Good luck on our Journey. And remember we are all pretty different, this way of eating might now work for you as it does for others. You might find this helpful http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/01/dont-be-a-ketard1.html

(Kathy L) #22

Another way to get more fat is to have a cup of bullion w/butter melted in it- - - Delicious!

(Jane Reed) #23

Certainly you can make a salad out of spinach. Just use one cup of it. Add a small amount of tomato to make it look like more than it is.

The up side of this WOE is the rich sauces and dressings a low fat diet disallows. The down side is the sharp restriction on vegetables, etc., which you always think of as healthy. Great piles of them ARE healthy… for people who are slim and metabolically normal. Somewhere, somehow, something’s got to give. In this case you have to give up 6 cups of spinach.

To be successful at keto, you have to count your carbs and only eat within your tolerance level. For relative beginners, that us usually the dreaded 20. Perhaps in future you may be able to tolerate more.

(Jane Reed) #24

In the Newbies section there is a thread called If You Struggle to Keep Carbs Low. I’m sure you can find some good info there.

(Todd Allen) #25

1 cup (~30 g) of raw spinach has 1.1 g of carbs, 0.7 g of which is fiber. What’s the problem with 6 cups? 6.6 g total carbs and 2.4 g net. I often eat 12 cups or more of leafy greens per day (recommended by Dr. Terry Wahls’s keto/paleo diet for healing MS) without getting kicked out of ketosis.

(Jane Reed) #26

The OP is trying to stay under 20 g. of carbs. She is using almost 1/3 of that on spinach alone. And spinach is not the only carb she is consuming.

Wow, lots of great suggestions and comments. For the moment, I have decided to go back to my regular diet. Before anyone boo’s or hisses, let me explain why. Currently, my stomach is an absolute mess. I haven’t had a bowel movement in over a week (maybe TMI?). I’m bloated 24/7. This has never happened to me. I just picked up some probiotics to get it back in shape. I believe I started this entire program, wrong. I jumped right into it, but the recommended foods are ones that I either don’t like (because of taste), or ones I just don’t have a history of eating. For example, prior to this I never ate bacon. I don’t like the taste of it. Also, I don’t like greasy food. I probably ate one pound of beef per year…if that. I never ate eggs. Don’t care for them. I never used butter nor salt on any of my meals. A typical day for me was oatmeal in the morning, a chicken sandwich and some fruit in the afternoon, and noodle soup (or something like that) at night. All very light and easy to digest. All of this hamburger meat, bacon, steak, etc., is ripping my stomach apart. I want to heave at the taste of butter. And coconut anything…don’t get me started. Lol. I’m going to get my stomach back in balance, then do this VERY slowly. I’ll start with one keto based meal per day. After a couple of weeks then I’ll step it up to two. I just went whole hog from the get go. From maybe a pound of beef per year, to six or so pounds a week! I think in principal the keto diet is sound, but for me, one I have to gradually ease in to.

(James storie) #28

I’ve never heard someone say they don’t like bacon, are you human? Just kidding, good luck with your diet.

Even better, I like cottage cheese. I know a lot of people don’t like that.

(Cocker) #30

Just to add a couple of my own experiences…

Firstly, I don’t count my carbs…I just buy low/no carb stuff…and I’ve learnt that I can have lot more than 20g, though I train a lot…if I’m hungry, I’ll eat…maybe it’ll be big spoons of peanut butter…maybe I’ll fry some salmon…whatever I feel like…

Secondly, I can’t/almost don’t cook - not really…I keep salad in the house for when I feel I want it, I fry/bake/grill things…and I’m learning that different, simple things, make a big difference…to be fair, I am drawn to the meats…and eggs and cheese and whatever…but different combinations are…well, are hugely different on the tongue…slowly add condiments, herbs, spices to that and you’re good…

When I’m feeling a little taste hungry I buy a pre-made curry (about 15 different options)…not worrisom carbs for me (~20g)…I fancy making my own, but…I also love spending my time in other ways, so…

(KB Keto) #31

(James storie) #32

No problem there, I love cottage cheese! Especially with added salt!

(Roxanne) #33

What is lime flufferfatter?

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #34

With you preference for veggies, head over to this vegetarian keto topic for ideas and resource links

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #35

The Forum Vegetable section may have some topics to help you keep your carbs low and increase protein/fat

(KB Keto) #36

Mix the 2 and whip. Great little treat with 20g of fat… just be careful not to eat it all! (unless you want 160g of fat in one sitting.

(KCKO, KCFO) #37

Lots of vegetarians follow a LCHF diet, some call it keto, but whatever. This might help get you on the right track.

Supplement some magnesium to help with you digestive issue.

Good luck with your Journey.

Vegetarian friend needs to try keto
Vegetarian -- ketogenic diet possible for vegetarians?

Where’s that creamed spinach recipe… Sounds like something that would help if you love spinach but need to up the fat.

Have a slice of kerrygold butter if your hungry as a snack.

Get a cup of heavy cream and whip it up with a tblsp of peanut butter in it. (Natural with no added sugar but regular is ok too… only a few carbs there).

I do imagine if you don’t love eggs, beef, pork, fish, lamb this WOE is a bit harder, but can still be done.

(Tammy Kidd) #40

I mix my own seasoning. Really easy.