How can you tell when your body becomes fully fat adapted?

(ray) #1

How can you tell when your body becomes fully fat adapted?

(Allie) #2

The search feature is your friend.

(Adam L) #3

Found these via a search, very useful tool, all the best

(Scott) #4

Take a calendar and mark the day you started. Now flip a coin, heads flip one page and tails flip two calendar pages. Next pick up a dart and throw it at the calendar. That will be the exact day you are fat adapted!

Note: If you are sloppy and eat well above 20g on a regular basis keep flipping pages until your willpower returns.

(ray) #5

You’ve covered just about everything … except Intermittent Fasting. I began that faze after week two. 16 hours fasting 8 hours eating window. If you begin the fasting when you go to bed by the time you wake up you will have been fasting for 8 hours or close to the required 16. I’m in the middle of week 5 and have had good results. Have lost 23.4 lbs. Eating basically one meal a day and for the most part I don’t get hungry. If I get a tinge of hunger I just drink water or coffee and that helps. I’m 63 years old. Started Keto weighing in at 209. Weighed in this morning at 185.6. Tightened my belt 3 notches. Heading for 175. Getting plenty of compliments.

(charlie3) #6

I believe getting fat adapted is slightly analogous to how a wound heals. Things happen rapidly for the first 6 weeks but that’s just the beginning. There are further improvements and refinements over months and years that happen at a slower rate. That is my experience.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #7

@raychech All depends on what ‘fully’ means to you. If you have been eating sub-20 grams of carbs consistently for 4 1/2 weeks and are still functional and not in a coma you are burning fat. That’s what ‘fully’ means to some. Realistically, however, your cells and organs are burning inefficiently and will slowly get more efficient over time as they adapt to utilizing fat/ketones rather than glucose for fuel. That’s a long-term process that varies individually. After several months most just pick an arbitrary moment and call it ‘fully’. It’s possible that adaptation is a process that never ends completely, just gets more and more efficient over months and years. In that scenario we are never ‘fully’ fat adapted, but good enough. :wink: