How long did it take you to fat adapt?

(Carrie) #1

Hi there
I posted a thread last week asking “am I in ketosis”. I had lots of very helpful replies thank you.
After spending some time researching and listening I now get it… I have to be patient and keep going, ha ha taken me a while to fully understand.

I realise that yes I am in ketosis now, I have probably been for a couple of weeks, and now I understand that I have to gradually fat adapt until my body sorts itself out.

So, how long did it take YOU to fat adapt?
To start to burn fat and feel better. What’s the average, be honest, I’m in for the long haul.

Thanks

How can you tell when your body becomes fully fat adapted?
How do I know when I’m fat adapted?
(Allie) #2

It happens in stages but took me months to get properly fat adapted.

(Running from stupidity) #3

Most people - 6-8 weeks.

BUT…

As the swan princess said, it can take a lot longer. Some it’s up towards a year. So it’s VERY variable.

But, as you say, you’re here to stay, so it arrives when it arrives, I guess :slight_smile:

(Allie) #4

My adaptation was dragged out due to stress and constant exercise. The exercise was necessary to help me handle the stress, but at the same time it made things worse because it was an additional physical stressor. The stress was also necessary and couldn’t be avoided. Not sure I would’ve even got through it without the mental clarity and stability keto brings.

This was the stress -

So my lengthy adaptation was far from normal, but the more someone stresses about anything, even the adaptation process itself, the worse they’ll make it for themselves which is why so many of us here say KCKO (keep calm and keto on).

(Running from stupidity) #5

Whoa

:pray::pray::pray:

(Carrie) #6

Goodness me, what a battle. Your strength is incredible

(Mary) #7

I’m in awe…

(MooBoom) #8

With the benefit of hindsight I’d say it took me 4 months to be fully fat adapted. By that point my hunger was fully under control, I was able to run on my own fat for fuel, I had boundless energy, a robust immune system and accidentally overdoing the carbs didn’t knock me at all.

(Alex ) #9

About 2 months for me with a full on no-excuses keto intake, solid exercise program, zero alcohol, realistic calorie control, set mealtimes, a ton of water and good sleep.

In the third month, I really felt the psychological benefits a lot more, the first two months, I was just really watching the scales drop and feeling my clothes get looser…

I should say I wasn’t in employment during any of this which made it easier for me.

People were making “have you lost weight” comments in the first two months, by month 3 end they were more like “oh my god how much weight have you lost?”

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #10

You’re a strong woman! :pray:t4:

It took me about 2 months to get fat adapted

(Daisy) #11

The first time, it took me 6 weeks to get there. 2 weeks to lose it. I’m 5 weeks in the second go round and not there yet, but I’m hoping I’m almost there. I’m seeing some of the signs I saw before, so fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #12

Wow. So sorry. I had no idea.

:pray:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #13

Thank you for sharing your story Allie. I’m so glad that you seem to be on a healing path now. I empathize with you and your brother. :neutral_face:

(Karen) #14

2-3 months :slightly_frowning_face:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #15

Between five and six months. I think - I’m still not really sure, but I’m at maintenance weight and only eat twice a day so I guess that fits the criteria.

(John) #16

By the end of week 4, I seemed to have natural appetite suppression and a conscious control over how I chose to respond to hunger signals. That is one of the first stages. I might still have had a feeling of tiredness or fatigue if I didn’t eat for a while (such as my first 30-hour fast*, which was at the end of week 4), but I could actually DO the fast.

[*Note: fasting is not necessary, but it was out of convenience - I had breakfast one day but didn’t have time for lunch and worked late, so I decided to skip dinner and just go to bed, and then when I got up the next day I discovered I could keep going until lunch time. I was like a kid playing with his newly discovered superpower.]

Probably by weeks 8 - 10 or so when I started to feel like I had normal energy levels all of the time regardless of when, how much, or what type of food I had eaten, and could easily skip meals for convenience and go for 24 hours between meals if I wanted to without it taking much effort.

It’s a continuous process. I’m in week 21 now and getting close to what I assume is being fully fat adapted. It’s weird, really, the sensation, when you take time to stop and notice it, of having total conscious control over your eating behavior.

There is a paradox of weight management which says “Why would a fat person ever be hungry?” because since he/she has enough stored energy, why would they feel a need to eat more? Why doesn’t the presence of body fat turn off the hunger signals?

When you are fat adapted, the paradox is resolved. You have created the metabolic changes needed to easily burn stored (or eaten) fat, so your body just dips into those reserves without complaint, whenever it needs the energy. It no longer has the “Oh crap, I’m starving, make the brain find me food” response.

I really am almost never really HUNGRY any more. That makes me able to use food as a tool for health management rather than a substance that I crave or am compelled to eat. Meaning I choose when to eat, what to eat, based on healthy food choices, proper amounts, and what fits with my schedule.

When you get to where you can do that naturally, without a feeling of being deprived, hungry, or fatigued, that’s probably where full fat adaptation would come in.

(Carrie) #17

Thank you
I’m now very rarely hungry, and can easily go without a meal.
I don’t miss carbs at all, the few that I have (under 20g) just happen to be in my veg, but I don’t miss them anymore, this happened over this weekend for me, 4 weeks in.
I’m looking forward to an energy boost coming, and some mental clarity would be nice! But I guess they’re on there way if I stick to the plan. :+1:. Thank you for the help

(John) #18

It sure as hell would be! I’ll let you know if that ever shows up. :smile:

Not that I had that BEFORE my dietary changes, either… :sob:

I’m new to all of this, so I’m not sure I know what the difference is in terms of physical sensations between being in ketosis and being properly fat adapted.

I stopped eating carbs entirely last Saturday. Did a 12 mile walk over three hours with water to help empty out the glycogen reserves. Felt kinda hungry on Saturday. By Sunday I felt fine. By Monday my ketosis test strips where showing moderate ketosis.

I did my usual weights workout on Monday (5x5 military press, 5x5 bench press, 5x5 close grip bench press, 5x5 lat pulldowns and 5x5 cable rows and a few added curls for vanity). I was expecting to be weak as a kitten, but was actually stronger. Although i felt a LOT warmer.

I’m probably not fat adapted yet as such, but I didnn’t get the week of painful “flu” that everyone was telling me to expect.

(Allie) #20

Many don’t. I never did.
It’s and electrolyte imbalance so if your electrolytes are OK you won’t get it.