Hi everyone, newbie here šŸ˜

(Rachel ) #1

Just wanted to introduce myself. My names Rachel I am from the South, raised on peas and cornbreadšŸ˜. Iā€™m in my mid 30ā€™s now, married with teenagers, and they can attest that Iā€™ve tried many fad diets. So much that I was determined that I wouldnā€™t try another one. End of March this year, I decided enough was enough. We would not have any unhealthy foods in our home! No sugar, no junkfood etcā€¦
I purged our home of unhealthy foods March 30th, switched to whole grain breads, rice etc. No sugar. No sugary cereals. Only, Veggies, fruit, lean meatsā€¦
At my heaviest, I was 285. After about a month of healthy eating, my husband had lost 15 pounds, my daughterā€™s had slimmed up some. But after the second week or so, I couldnā€™t lose any weight. I had lost 10 lbs pretty quickly (water weight). But then it stalled. I was limiting calories, eating whole grains, meat and veggies, plus walking/exercising. And I felt like I was starving. I was so frustrated.
I then decided to limit my carbs. I wasnā€™t doing keto or any other diet, I just felt like carbs were holding me back from losing weight. After a few days, I felt amazing. I had a ton of energy, and never felt hungry, I was amazed. Then I started feeling really sick, so I added some carbs back into my diet.
After days of reading and watching everything on keto, I decided to give it a try. The right way this time, I started drinking water with electrolytes right away. So now Iā€™m back to having no cravings, not hungry. And Iā€™m in awe. Never in my life have I not craved carbs. So I kindā€™ve accidently stumbled into keto and ketosis.
Iā€™m now down to 264. 10 pounds in 2 weeks. Iā€™m sooo excited, and canā€™t wait to lose the other 120 lbs!
My hope is in a year Iā€™ll be at my goal weight (if not before!).
Iā€™m eating as little carbs as possible (yesterday I only had 14 g) and trying to eat more protein than fat, to speed up weightloss. Also, if Iā€™m not hungry I donā€™t eat. Iā€™ve been eating mostly 2 meals in a day. Sometimes more or less. Anyways, thatā€™s my story :blush:
P. S. Iā€™m so glad I found this forum of fellow keto folks!

(Troy) #2

First of all welcome
ā€œaweā€SOME to have you aboard :smile:

Good Luck

(Rachel ) #3

Thank you!

(Carl Keller) #4

Welcome Rachel.

I enjoyed your story and look forward to hearing about your future success. Please stick around and keep us updated. :slight_smile:

(Lazy, Dirty Keto šŸ˜) #5

Congrats on your progress so far and welcome!

(Scott) #6

Unless you are going carnivore this may hold you back. Fats are what make up for calories that use to come from carbs and make you feel full. I recommend tuning into the 2 keto dudes podcast and start from episode 1, lots of good science in there.

You are doing amazing and obviously what youā€™re doing is working!

I donā€™t think you need to ā€œtryā€ to eat more protein than fat, but I wouldnā€™t worry if you are. Itā€™s pretty hard for the average person to overeat protein. And if youā€™re looking at gram counts in that equation, youā€™re probably right on the money where you should be with getting sufficient protein and sufficient energy intake.

(Rachel ) #8

Thank you!

(Rachel ) #9

Thanks everyone! Iā€™ve read and watched so many different Drā€™s and experts, but still learn something new every day.

(Marianne) #10

Wonderful story; so happy for you! I am constantly amazed by the benefits of keto.

(Jane) #11

Welcome to the forum!

(Little Miss Scare-All) #12

Hiii, and welcome!

(Judy chosewood) #13

Wonderful youā€™ve found your own way, everyoneā€˜s body is different. Iā€™m so glad itā€™s working for you!

(Rachel ) #14

Iā€™m now down to 257! I did have my first cheat day :roll_eyes: yesterday. Wasnā€™t planning on it, but I guess 1 after over a month isnā€™t too bad. I ate maybe 70 carbs. Crazy thing is, I didnā€™t feel like I was thrown out of ketosis, my weight didnā€™t go up, and I feel great today. No crazy cravings today either :woman_shrugging:t3: only thing I noticed was a slight headache yesterday evening. And I did wait 14-15 hours before eating again. I donā€™t plan on making it a regular thing, but nice to know I didnā€™t ruin my hard work so far :wink:

(Jane) #15

You got this!

Unplanned carbs happen - no biggie as long as a) you didnā€™t go crazy and binge out or b) use it as an excuse to do multi-day carb fests and c) got right back to keto food.

You are good on all accounts!
:+1:

(Rachel ) #16

Thanks! I was pretty worried, but all seems good so far :blush:

(Susan) #17

Welcome to the forum, Rachel, I am sure you will love it here. There are so many kind, helpful and friendly Ketoers!

(Rachel ) #18

(Marianne) #19

My cheats consist of having a drink(s) when going out with friends. I have never cheated beyond that since starting, because I havenā€™t felt the desire or need. When I go out with the girls, I will usually have two blunts of brut champagne over several hours. It is such a treat and I donā€™t seem to suffer any ill effects from it whether with being in ketosis or how I feel. Itā€™s usually only a once every 2-3 week occurrence and I am okay with that. Gotta enjoy life. As you get farther along, I find you lighten up somewhat on the guilt and need to do keto ā€œperfectly.ā€

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #20

I realize this is an old thread revived, still Iā€™d like to add for your consideration a little experiment I did some time back.

@RachelGoesKeto @gingersmommy Personally, I think so-called ā€˜cheat days/mealsā€™ can have longer lasting repercussions than you might first think, and especially until one is well fat adapted. See this thread.

However, that said - alcohol/ethanol is a special case. In the presence of ethanol the liver will ignore everything else and metabolize the ethanol. Ethanol is such a simple and easily used fuel that all your cells and organs will immediately cease utilizing anything else and switch to ethanol. This means that if you are in ketosis, you will remain in ketosis and once the ethanol is completely burned out your liver, cells and organs will recommence utilizing ketones and fatty acids.

In fact @fatpants semi facetiously suggested here using ethanol to extend a fast, an interesting idea. No, Iā€™m not recommending it. :wink: