Question about alcohol

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

@x-Dena-x This is a little confusing but there’s research that alcohol promotes insulin sensitivity and another source said it creates eleveted insulin and hypoglycemia. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Little Miss Scare-All) #5

It seems youre right @David_Stilley. I guess because I drink so much of it, I get somehow kicked out of ketosis everytime I drink, and I stick with plain vodka and chase with water.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #6

I’m going to switch my advice and say don’t drink the whole bottle :grin:

(Robert C) #8

While some types of alcohol will only stall fat burning and keep you in ketosis - the major reason you might fall out of ketosis is that the alcohol will make you hungry and diminish your capacity to make good food decisions.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #9

SO fact.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #10

Can we please drop the ‘remove the toxin’ nonsense? The liver ignores everything else to go after alcohol simply because chemically it is the simplest/easiest fuel to use. That’s all, no ulterior motive to remove the toxin from the body. Given the opportunity, your liver will happily metabolize alcohol to the exclusion of all else until you die from cirrhosis. Given sufficient amounts over sufficient time ANY fuel is toxic: glucose and ketones included.

After alcohol, the next simplest/easiest fuel is glucose, which is why it gets used before ketones and fatty acids.

(Andrew) #11

Alcohol sounds about as bad as fructose for adding liver IR (Fung). Immediately it lowers BG, as your liver stops making glucose. Easy to see on with your BG meter.

I’ve had some bourbon after 2 days of fasting and it’s pretty easy to keep fasting. You burn up the alcohol and go right back to ketones. If you drink everyday, it’s pretty hard to stop drinking and stop eating, so I have thrown this in to get further into a fast.

Hi everyone, newbie here 😁
(Polly) #12

I do not lose weight when enjoying alcohol because all alcohol inhibits the action of glucagon.
Glucagon is the insulin antagonist which amongst other things enables fat burning to occur. Glucagon is inhibited by insulin and also by alcohol.
To put it simply, alcohol turns off the fat burning switch.

(Scott) #13

I have been drinking scotch, wine and sometimes beer daily for years if not decades. The wife and I are both from family that had cocktail hour daily. Both of us seem to have done well with keto. She is at goal weight and I am about 5 pounds from goal weight but seem to be maintaining at my current weight. I am guessing the only way for me to find out what effect alcohol is having on me is to reduce or abstain for a period. Being someone that likes to experiment n=1 I am thinking I will try this out soon. Next week is a family beach vacation so now is clearly not the right time for me.

(Marius the butter craving dude) #14

Hmmm… Interesting debate here.
I had a recent experience with alchool a week ago in a teem building event. I was with my team at a nice location for 2 nights, all food and drinks paid by the company. I decided I will eat only meat without any consideration of time or quantity.
I also took 2 glasses of votka with sugar free pepsi (boss insisted). It was I think more than a year from my last time I drank some alcohol. The intoxication was instant and I know my limits; yet time I was already in my drunk mode. I eat some more meat and went to sleep before I said something stupid.
But the surprise was that after those 2 nights when I got home I actually lost 1 kg. and I was still in keto.

Thanks everyone for your input. It really helps to get advice from people who are informed. My alcohol consumption usually consists of a double bourbon or scotch on the rocks once or twice a week. I will be giving it a try and monitoring my ketones.

Thanks again.

(Jennibc) #17

Honestly, it works for me! I mean, no more whisky sours, but I like it with soda and a twist. I have to keep it to two or less though.

(Jennibc) #18

Well THIS is good to know!

(Jennibc) #19

I think this is key! I find if I have a drink after dinner outside on the patio I gain nothing the next day - or I actually lose (probably because of dehydration). BUT if I go out to dinner and order wine and start drinking it before the food comes I eat too much. Last week, I ended up having dessert which I never have and I am pretty sure it’s because I’d had too much wine and it relaxed my resolve. I am just NOW back to the pre-dessert weight. Took me six days!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #20

No doubt. All I’m saying is the ethanol molecule unloads a packet of energy and ends up as Acetyl-CoA like everything else. I’m not trivializing the long-term deleterious effects. My objection is to casually imputing intent and purpose to chemical reactions which do not possess them.

(Jennibc) #24

Where are you finding that the beer is low carb? I have looked it up and am not finding that as a claim, just that it’s low on gluten.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #26

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #27

(Trudy) #28

Personally, I have lost almost 50kg to get to goal in under 12 months and have had alcohol 3-4 nights per week. All that said, for my health, my newest goal is to reduce the amount and frequency of my alcohol intake. I can have a bottle of sparkling wine and remain in ketosis but am fully aware that I’m not promoting health. Also, losing weight and getting to goal does not indicate how healthy/unhealthy a person is.

Everyone is different and our goals are different. I’m not sure of the science but I have a ton of energy when having alcohol, the body certainly sees it as an energy source.

I’ve been booze free for 4 nights and have an initial goal of two weeks. All the best in your journey!

(Scott) #29

Dogfish head has a new low carb (3.6g) IPA called Slightly Mighty. My daughter is getting me a case for fathers day :beer: