So mad! Am I out of ketosis

(Jean) #1

My daughters had PD day so they wanted to go to McDonald’s for lunch . I ordered a small Diet Coke and a hamburger no bun only mustard . Took a big sip or
My drink then a second and told
My daughters it tasted funny. They tried it and said it’s not diet . I have been on since late January and haven’t cheated once or gone over 20net carbs. Did I just knock myself out with this stupid coke?

Couple a sips aint gonna do a thing, ur fine. After a while on keto ur body is capable of taking a bit more carbs without getting properly knocked out off keto. KCKO

(Jean) #3

Thanks I just know there is domuch sugar in coke . I know it was an accident but still upset me

It wasnt ur fault anyway, that ammount of sugar burns pretty quickly, max itll likely do is pause/slowdown ketone production/burning for like 30mins and then go back to the default which is fat burning.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #5

I did an experiment that concluded a couple months ago. I wanted to see what happens if I eat a large Dairy Queen plain vanilla ice cream cone: 72 gr carbs (52 gr sugar) according to the DQ nutrition page.

I expected it would knock me out of ketosis within a couple of hours and that it would take a maybe 5-6 hours to burn off the resulting glucose and then I’d be back to normal.

What actually happened was that I was not knocked out of ketosis until the following morning, approx 12-18 hours after consuming the ice cream. Not sure of the exact timing because I was sleeping for 8 hours. I was not back into ketosis for another 12 hours after that. That was an eye-opener!

Bottom line, though, a sip or two (or even if you drank the whole damn thing) it’s going to move through and within a day or so you’re be back to normal. The less the sooner.

Don’t worry but don’t do it often. Catering to sweet is not helpful overall.

Curiously weird BG and ketone readings
Hi everyone, newbie here 😁
First wheat bread in a while and I don't feel guilty
(Paul H) #6

I like experimenting…lol Thank you for sharing… Point being if you have been at it for awhile you are probably fat adapted. you will be back into keto fairly soon even if you cheat for an hour… Lemme know when you wanna DQ experiment again please… I will chime along. lol

THIS ^^

That’s what I call the day-after carb hangover.
Any ketones still in your system are going to last a while. A lot of sugar (52g) is going to shut down new ketone production and eventually it’s going to hurt. Add in some MCT, burn off sugar with some exercise, good to go later that day.

Funny, something similar happened to me yesterday. My son said he got a diet from Five Guys. I took one sip of his … and knew it wasn’t.

It wasn’t anything significant but I felt so betrayed.

Hahaha.

Fear of accidental carbs and sugar is real.

I bought some unsweetened coconut from a bulk store and found out when I got home it was sweetened. The place i bought it is 40 miles away. I still have it and the receipt for next time I go there. And I’ll be taste testing it before I buy it.