Having trouble with EF? Discomfort etc...? Try the EF golden rule of using a laxative pre fasting

fasting
extended

(icky) #1
  • Do you empty your bowels completely (gentle laxative) before an extended fast?
  • Do you have trouble doing extended fasts?

0 voters

This thread:

and one answer to the thread in particular, has inspired me to raise an issue about extended fasting, that I mostly see “ignored” here on the forum…

I come from a background of EF (10 years experience) and am part of a (non-English speaking) fasting forum and one of our few “must do” golden rules is that before an extended fast, you must COMPLETELY empty your bowels, using a mild fasting-friendly laxative…

I only see this referred to here on the forum about 1% of the time and am wondering whether this is causing ppl difficulty with EF’s.

To the best of my EF knowledge, the digestive tract “shuts down” during EF, which means your bowels do not naturally expell any remnant stool because gut motility basically stops.

The EF knowledge I’ve “grown up with” states that this can have remnant stool fermenting or rotting (mould/ fungal growth) which can be both unhealthy and cause discomfort.

Also, by having remnant stool in the bowels, as far as I’m aware, it also signals to your body not to completely shut down the digestive tract, which means that hunger signals from the stomach are not completely suppressed.

Anyway… :blush:

Everyone who’s doing well with what they are doing => just continue.

Everyone who’s having trouble with extended fasting might want to consider this issue/ try a mild, fasting-friendly laxative to see if it helps reduce/ resolve their problems with EF.

Pain in back hips and butt at day 4 of extendedfast
(Omar) #2

I never thought of that

Thanks

(icky) #3

Oh, I should have added:

The fasting-friendly, mild laxative I use is “magnesium sulfate” also known as Epsom Salts

But I dare say the magnesium citrate used in @Brenda s Ketoaide would work just as well…

(Robin Lea Fritche) #4

Interesting…I had never heard this before. I’ll keep that in mind, though it’s too late for my current fast. :joy:

(karen) #5

I usually have a movement end of day 2 / start of day 3, so I don’t think the digestive track shuts down entirely, at least not in the first few days. But I have to say starting out “clean” would probably feel better.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #6

SHOW ME THE SCIENCE!

TL;DR
I apologize for leaving a comment and not even reading this whole thread. All I saw was using a laxative before you do an extended fast. I don’t know where the logic is in this and where it came from but you know what? I don’t even need to know. If you’re constipated yeah sure sometimes you might need to use something like that but using a laxative when you don’t really need it just to empty your bowels before an extended fast? Bad idea. This is a setup for electrolyte depletion. I’m highly against it and do not recommend it. It never ceases to amaze me the information that is thrown around out there. sorry not sorry

(Robin Lea Fritche) #7

Yeah when I’ve done a week I’ll have one halfway through. I’m still waiting for it this time haha.

Thank you for the tip.

I would have to be careful as I can see the benefits, but if I had to go out somewhere or commence my fast at work I would most likely feel this was a risk Strat. But…If I was to be at home the whole time while this took effect I may consider it.

(KCKO, KCFO) #9

I think if you use some magnesium during your feast/fast cycling, a laxative would not be needed at all at any phase of a fast cycle. I have mag. oil, powdered mag. and tablets of various forms of mag. I use what is needed when needed.

And maybe it is just me but I don’t find the idea of drinking epsom salt appealing at all.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #10

:face_vomiting:

(icky) #11

Not quite sure why it’s such an upsetting topic for you. It’s a normal part of EF for lots of people.

Humans have been doing this for centuries using herbs especially in India… I’m sure @Rajseth can explain it way better than I can.

(Ron) #12

I think there is a big difference in the body and its’s reactions to fasting between a glycogen fuel burner and a ketone body fuel burner. Glycogen is stored in the body along with electrolytes and nutrients that the body draws from when fasting to keep supplied but when burning ketones for fuel there are no storage reserves and the electrolytes and nutrients are rapidly decreased from the body. When glucose burning you can replace these and the body will store them to use as needed during the fast where when burning fat they are used and excess is expelled making it more difficult to maintain a balance during the fast. Starting out by flushing all of these out right from the beginning makes it even more difficult. IMHO

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #13

HUGE difference, yes.
I HIGHLY discourage this practice with the ketogenic diet.
This is the ketogenic forums. Not a general fasting forum.
Methods that may harm our members will be held up and questioned.
I find this practice alarming for the low carb and ketogenic population.

(Raj Seth) #14

Thanks @sugar-addict. I do a saline colon cleanse regularly.
No chemicals. No herbs. No products. Just a gallon of body salinity water at body temperature. That is exactly 36 gms of salt (I use kosher salt) in a gallon of water.

It is called Shankhaprakshalan - google it

Body salinity and temperature means it is osmotically and thermally neutral to your body. The goal is for the saline to just pass through and flush all the toxins. I try to do it about every couple months. make sure you are at home for 4-5 hours when you do it though

Hello.

I’m interested in the community or cultural background that uses a laxative prior to fasting. Cultural practices that are aeons long and have proved useful and worked for that community are worth exploring.

So some questions, if that’s ok - but without revealing personal or community details:

1. how long are the fasts traditionally for?
  2. what age are the fasters?
  3. how often do they fast?
  4. what would the normal every day diet be?
  5. what laxative or aperient would traditionally be used?
  6. what is the primary purpose of the fast?
  7. what extra and health benefits are appreciated?
  8. how do people come out of the fast?
  9. how does their family and community give support.

I hope that’s not too intrusive. And thank you. x

(Shayne) #16

I don’t know where the idea that fasting would shut down the digestive tract completely came from, but it’s certainly not been my experience. I usually get diarrhea while I’m doing an EF, so I’m not looking to make it worse. If you were doing a “dry” fast, maybe… maybe… but no one on this board is advocating a dry fast.

(Terrie) #17

I usually get diarrhea when fasting. I also add pink salt to my water which cleans me out.