Hi everyone, I apologize. I am about to ramble, share too much information and possibly embarrass myself.
A bit of backstory: I have embarked on this Keto path about 7 months ago and I feel that it is working well for me. I am 39 years old, SW 335, CW 255. I have been doing OMAD or IF 22:2 most weekdays since September, and mainly eating when hungry or socially dictated on the weekends. I have done a few 36-48 hour fasts without much planning, just whenever it happened due to circumstances. In the beginning, I NEVER would have thought that this was possible. I mean I read about people doing IF and thought “that would never be me”, now it is the case more often than not.
This past weekend I was at my parents’ Christmas party and overindulged in Keto foods (chicken wings, homemade garlic sausage, spinach dip, olives, dill pickles and cheeses). On Thursday before the party, I ate a bit less than normal (90g pro, 8g net carbs, 109g fat, 1408 cal). On Friday, I wasn’t feeling too great so I had a cup of salty chicken stock with heavy whipping cream and called it a day. Saturday I didn’t eat until the party. By my guestimations afterwards, I consumed 158g pro, 15.6 net carbs, 279g fat and 3272 cals. A crazy amount looking back, but even scarier is that this amount is nothing compared to previous years! Yikes Sunday I wasn’t hungry (I wonder why) so I didn’t eat, just had a black coffee, my daily vitamins and a tonne of water. Today the same. I am not planning to have a meal until I feel like I need to.
My questions are:
- Is there anything I should know to extend a fast past the 48-hour mark?
- How do you know it is time to break your fast? I need to do some more reading on how to do this.
- Is constipation a part of fasting, or is this due to the meat and cheese orgy I had on Saturday? I haven’t felt “backed up” but it has been a while since…
- Not to sound like a crazy person, although I might be, I was watching a documentary about a week and a half ago and felt a “calling” to do a 12 day fast. The doc was about a place in Russia, I believe, where they do 30 or more days at a retreat place, I am not sure why 12 days came to me. Any special advice for making this happen?
- How do you handle the social side of fasting? My wife is getting used to me not eating with her and my daughter. I join them, I just have my water and join in the conversation, but I am wondering about other people? Christmas parties, and weekend events? Any advice would be appreciated.
If you made it this far you have my sincerest thanks!