Food help

(@taliea) #1

Hi everyone. I know I’ve been posting a lot and asking questions but I am just getting a little bit confused with things. Today is day 4 and I’m prepping dinner and I realize the last four days that I think I’m doing good because I’m logging everything and am within my macros but come dinner I’m freaking out because I only have so many carbs left or I only have so much protein left. the biggest problem I have is protein. And then I’m not having enough fat. I’m trying to add mayo or cream cheese and things like that to my diet but it feels useless because I’m only cooking with olive oil or butter at dinner. I’m not getting as much fat as I need. So I have 20 grams of carbs, 90 grams of protein and unlimited fat but I have to really push it to even get my fat above my 90 grams of protein. I’m getting very very frustrated because I don’t like having to constantly fight to try to figure out what I can eat and realize that I thought I had enough protein left and I’m left with 10g which is basically nothing. I just need help with ideas and maybe changing how I eat breakfast. For example all I had for breakfast today was a scrambled egg and two pieces of bacon and then for lunch I had two pieces of sliced turkey on 2 romaine lettuce leaves with mayo and mustard and tomato and then a dill pickle for a snack and then two pieces of bacon to snack on and that’s all I’ve had and then now I’m making tacos but I can’t even have the cheese shells because I don’t have enough protein. Sorry if I’m ranting but I honestly don’t know if I should just get rid of some of the protein that I’m having in the morning and leave it for night? For the last two days though at work my stomach has literally sounded like it’s eating itself and I’m so hungry and I know that’s part of this but literally I am starving by the time I get home and it’s so hard not to just eat a bunch of shit. Help!
P.s…having a bad day as you can see. Lol

Carbs are the really important thing to limit and according to the Insulin Index, protein has 1/2 the insulinogenic affect of carbs, so there’s a lot more latitude in eating protein.

At this early stage you’re learning what to eat and how to organize your life around that, so trying to follow the diet perfectly at the same time is going to be stressful, as well as what’s happening to your husband and diabetes at the same time.

First thing to do is calm down.

Second thing to do is eat bacon and forget about the protein.

Next thing to do is repeat the process and maybe add some eggs this time for variety!

The biggest thing to be careful about with protein is avoiding the very lean meats like chicken breast or the 93% lean ground beef, etc. unless you deliberately add fats from things like hollandaise sauce.

From as hungry as your body seems to be, I think it’s telling you to eat.

To get your fats up, you can make hollandaise sauce. This recipe uses ghee (clarified butter). But, no worries if you don’t have ghee…you can use melted butter instead of ghee

Yep, gotta love Hollandaise Sauce! :laughing:

@Fiorella, any insights into a good keto Bearnaise Sauce for even more variety? Or is it too complicated compared to the hollandaise sauce?

That doesn’t sound like enough protein to prevent you from having a well-rounded dinner. Like Billjay said, eat. Enjoy. Worry more about your carb counts than protein. And get that fat up. When I started it took me a couple weeks to get the fat raised up to even 70%. Now I’ve hit in the 80s and those are the yummy days!

Cook with butter and other delicious fats. I LOVE adding olive oil and butter together now. Scrambled egg does not compute. Eat at least 2!

Goodness knows I’ve posted lots of questions! Don’t feel bad for that at all. :smile:

(Andrew Anderson) #6

A resource that has helped me like this forum is the ketotalk podcast. Keep asking questions and digging into the resources. Start by cutting out the carbs and enjoying this amazing food. To much focus on macros can make it feel like a diet and a chore vs a fun way of life that leads to improved health. I worried a lot in the beginning and I think stress can have a negative impact on progress.
If you want to crank up fat, yummy fat bombs are fun. Lately I’ve done a 1-1 ratio with Kerrygold and coconut oil and pour into a small divided tray. Stivia does not bother me so I sweeten it up with a fake chocolate flavor.

(Michelle) #7

Don’t worry so much about protein. Keep carbs low and eat fat. If you are hungry, you aren’t eating fat to satiety. Your lunch sounded light on satiety factor.

You are training your hormones to work properly. That means using your insulin, leptin and gherlin to work properly. Don’t worry about calories or trying to hit protein macros right now.

I asked about 10 questions a day when I started. Now I’m down to like 3 a day :rofl::rofl::rofl:

To quickly transform the ghee hollandaise sauce into bearnaise, replace the lemon juice with white wine and vinegar. At the end, add minced fresh tarragon and finely diced shallots.

I’m sorry you are having a bad day.

I don’t see how you got 90 grams of protein from 1 egg, 6 pieces of bacon and two slices of turkey.

Egg 6g, Bacon (3g * 4) 9g, 2 Turkey slice say 15g. So, that’s like 30g of protein. That leaves you 60g of protein for dinner. I’m not sure where you go 90 from… what did you estimate for lean body mass?

The key is, you shouldn’t be hungry. Count your carbs only when your starting.

Get more fat by slathering that turkey with butter, or eat some avacado with that tukey wrap.

Idk, you will find ways to add fat.

I don’t know what else to tell you.

(Trisha) #10

I add more fat by using leftover bacon grease. For example, I cook eggs in it, or sautee veggies in it. You can store the grease in the fridge too.

By any chance, are you confusing the weight of turkey, bacon and eggs for actual protein grams. For example, steak has 25 to 30% grams of protein for total grams of the weight of steak.

(Megan) #12

I was wondering the same thing! Are you using MyFitnessPal to log your macros?

Hunger should not be a part of this WOE (way of eating).

(@taliea) #13

Thanks. No 90g total for the day. Lol. It just feels like the protein for breakfast and lunch leaves me little for dinner. I need to slather things more tho. Thx

(@taliea) #14

Oh also I had ground need for dinner :wink:

(Brian) #15

It still sounds like your over counting your protein. As most everyone else as said keep your carbs low and you really don’t have to worry about the rest. Choose higher fat protein sources over lower fat protein. you should be able to have a decent portion of protein at evening meal. You’re just not eating that much protein during the rest of the day. Again just keep the carbs under control and eat enough that you’re not hungry. Go for the fat but don’t worry about counting protein and fat

(Cheryl Meyers) #16

No wonder you were hungry! ground need sounds like no fun. :joy:

(Roxanne) #17

Yup, the fat is key to not being hungry, that and keeping your carbs very low.

Personally, I found the 2-week challenge meal plan at Diet Doctor to be a good place to start. It comes with a shopping list and I was blown away at first by the amount of butter, eggs, cheese, etc, that I was supposed to buy each week. Check them out at

It doesn’t cost anything to do the challenge, or even just sign up to get the free information, with lots of great recipes.

You CAN do this!

(Aarn Farmer) #18

Something that really helped me was realizing that my hunger was driven by my hormones, not necessarily how much food was in my belly. I had trained my hormones to tell me I’m hungry 4-5 times a day for decades so breaking that training was difficult in the first few months. The first thing I did was just get fat adapted first and eat whenever I was hungry. Next I used IF to break those hunger patterns and take control over when I was actually hungry. I’m 3 yeasts in now and hunger isn’t an issue.

(eat more) #19

where did your macros come from?
are you at a deficit from TDEE?
reading what you wrote it doesn’t look like enough food overall…

i am currently at the lowest protein i can remember since protein consumption has been apparently too high most of my life…“they” said i needed more lol

for me if i only have like 10-15g of protein come dinner time i reduce the portion of protein…you don’t HAVE to have 4-6oz (or whatever your portion is)
i’d rather have less actual protein and have it smothered in cheese, avocado, sour cream, butter, mayo, cream cheese…you get the idea lol
also, i’ve subconsciously compartmentalized cheese as a fat rather than a protein…i know it contains protein but to me it’s a fat :blush:

your macros don’t have to be exact…it’s exciting when it happens like you just won a prize at the fair but don’t beat yourself up if you go a few grams over on fat/protein
i was over on fat and protein yesterday but no big deal…it’ll even out…it’s more cumulative than daily…i was under on everything one day earlier this week.

when i’m preparing a meal i pick my protein and then think “ok what yummy fat would be good with this?”…fun game huh? lol
way more fun than previous games of “ok i have my protein…how can i make it taste good without fat” :joy:

as far as running out of carbs…i pick things that give me the most bang for my grams…like i’d rather have almond butter or pistachios than tomato, pickles, or lettuce

sorry this is so long but you got this! :fist:

(@taliea) #20

Hahaha. I can’t spell