First Extended Fast - Keigan

Day 16 - realizations

Everything is going really well. Finally jumped on the scale and right at 96kg, excellent, though my weight loss really slowed.

Even though i’ve been testing for ketones on the strips, I think that there have been days where I had a fair amount of calories and potentially one day is was not in ketosis.

I feel excellent, great energy, fantastic mood, clear and focused mind, calm with no anxiety at all. I’m laughing and smiling. This is very significant for me.

My pancreas is no long screaming at me from inflammation. No joint inflammation, no sciatica nerve inflammation - and it is -6F outside. This is very significant for me.

This next 7 days will be strick water and salt fasting as i’d Like my weight to break that 94kg mark. This means morning coffee with coconut oil and cinnamon oil only, i’ll add an avocado on Friday and Saturday morning of next weekend as I exit the 21 days of fasting.

Cheers!

I’ll add that, in the middle of this fasting I was consuming an avocado a day - backed by approximately 120oz of water with salt each day. That fiber seemed to work it’s way through the plumbing with no issues, kind of like a bristle brush cleaning out hard to reach spots. While I don’t have have any pictures or scientific results, I know it was a good thing for my body.

Day 17 - cruising along with no issues.

I’m really happy that I did this fast. No issues and lots of benefits.

23F outside and snowing, the dog will love playing in the snow today!

I found pork rinds and tried them, I view them as a different flavor of fat which is great as a nibble of a snack.

I’m going to continue my fast through the weekend, trying to break the 94kg milestone. I know by the fit of my clothing that the fat is melting away, it feels good!

Day 18 - all is going really well.

Scale reported 93.6kg this morning which as we all know is a lie, but i’ll Take it on for consideration.

Belt notch number 4 and my pants are super loose. I can feel that the fat from my chest and back is melting away.

Shoveled a bunch of snow yesterday and a few walks.

Excellent physical energy, clear and focused mind, good mood that is very optimistic.

Fun!

Shoveled a bunch of snow today which left me winded and little weak, this tells me that Friday will be my last day of this extended fast of 21 days.

Searching for a fantastic seafood dinner for Friday night.

At Friday, This experience will be essentially 40 pounds of weight loss since Thanksgiving, from 240lbs to 200lbs.

(Michael ) #66

Congrats. I wonder if getting winded is more of an electrolyte thing. But, you know your body best and that’s a long fast. Enjoy your seafood

Excellent point - thank you.

I have dropped the salt for the past two days, i’ll add it back in this morning.

Day 19 - all good as we come into the home stretch.

My cloths are hanging on me, belt notch 4 is easy to tighten other than my pants bunching up. Going cloths shopping on Thursday and Friday.

I know my metabolism has slowed significantly and as I start to eat i’ll gradually ramp up my calories.

Still not hungry, excellent energy, stamina might be dragging but that is because I don’t exercise at all other than walking and shoveling snow right now, clear and focused mind, excellent mood and optimistic.

Kieran, just a word on your refeeding as I broke my 22 day fast on Saturday, stay close to the bathroom just in case! I was surprised by the power and force of my digestive system to eliminate whatever was stored in there! After the first reintro and elimination I felt kind of off. But the next morning, felt amazing. I feel like my metabolism really ramped up on my fast. My temperature increased a full degree, some days even more. I ate for 2 days and a few pieces of candy and a boiled potato on Christmas dropped me out of ketosis. I fasted yesterday, I’m back in ketosis and not hungry so I am going to fast for a few days and see where it takes me. I think I’ll keep it short as I have something in the fridge that I want to eat before it goes bad! Good job on the fasting, so good to feel healthy again!t

Wednesday - Avocado, two slices of cheese, tablespoon of black tahini.

Day 20 - all good.

I’ve started to consume some foods on my exit of the extended fast. Last night was small quantities of salmon, broccoli, salad greens, cauliflower cream soup. This meal left me full and actually tired as my body is digesting.

This morning I have my avocado and coffee.

No surprises which is a good thing.

Digestive track is fully functional without surprise or violent reactions to food.

Lunch - Caesar salad with chicken, no croutons.

will you post final weight? thanks and nice work.

My final weight is 204lbs depending on the mood of the scale.

Found a steakhouse for tonight.

dang, 30 pounds in 20 days. that’s crazy! enjoy the steak!

Feasting Thursday, Friday and Saturday - then fasting for the next week.

Saw myself in the mirror this morning and could not believe how good I look, I wish I had before pictures.

(Michael ) #77

Awesome. You don’t want to give yourself a few weeks to take in nutrients and get some protein? Just wondering if you are over doing it going straight into another fast? If you feel good, then good luck and keep us posted. Congrats on all the progress

Your journal is really inspiring.

(Tim W) #79

Great post, thanks for sharing!

As someone who has done a 20 day fast and assisted my wife in a 40 day fast, I’ve been there… Here are a few observations.

From what I understand, this is due to the body breaking down protiens and amino acids (as usual, nothing to fret about). DR Fung mentions it in his obesity code podcast I think.

Be careful! I find that fasting for more than 3-5 days can put me in a depressive mental state. I believe it is due to my lower weight/body fat so YRWV but it is likely impacted by a lack of cholesterol. When I’m eating I eat 5-8 eggs a day and keto fat ratios so I don’t get depressed (as easily, might still have an episode 1-2 a year but that’s it). Just be sure to monitor your state AND listen to spouse/kids if you are fasting and they notice a change. My wife now calls me out if I “go dark” and I listen to her, usually adding in an avacado or boiled egg in response.

Don’t be frustrated by a return of pounds on the scale. My wife finds that she gains about 1/2 of her weight loss back each time, even eating keto post fast, she still sees a net loss but, she always has a weight re-bound, it happens, don’t beat yourself up over it.

My feasting over Thur, Fri and Saturday has been avocado, trout and salmon, lettuce and ranch, cauliflower, cheese, cream based soups, my coffee with coconut oil, eggs and bacon, Brie and roasted garlic.

No heavy and hard to digest yet.

Thanks for the comments, this has been an excellent adventure.

I’m at my object of 205~210, now just want to balance out a little mote between 200~205.