First Extended Fast - Keigan

(Ethan) #41

Im not trying to disagree…just understand the reasons

I’m combining multiple sources in my revised approach to keto.

• the science of fasting, specifically how genes express themselves in a defensive mode while in a fast
  • that pdf, stating that Ketones seem to be the signal to the body to defend against starvation
  • that pdf, also stating that after three weeks of starvation the body has adopted to FFA as its primary fuel and has dropped the production of Ketones - I take that as the body has given in and is no longer defending against starvation and is willing to also consume protein from muscle mass even though that is minimal

Additionally, as I watch others who are posting their glucose and ketones while on extended fasts it seems very evident that the Ketones remain very high for three week of fasting, then begins to change through reduction. That is also stated in the pdf multiple times, as the muscles no longer fuel themselves with Ketones after the three week milestone.

So in my approach I’m trying to maximize my fat loss, trick up the body metabolism a bit, be in ketosis while partially fasting with an exit strategy that is not shock to my digestive system.

The pdf goes into the details of how and why.

Again, this is my approach based upon my understanding and experiences.

Conservatively, it is very low risk and it is sustainable for my lifestyle right now.

The pdf also explains why my previous efforts with ketosis eventually stall, coming down to the metabolism slowing below my intake as my protein remained higher than potentially needed by the state of ketosis. It also explains how a cheat meal slows everything down, so i’m making that a cheat week within the cycle of ketosis in fasting.

I keep seeing general statements that protein can be converted to glucose and throw you out of ketosis - the pdf explain how and why.

Today the scale reports 97.7kg/215.4lbs

Wow - even though I know it lies, wow

Saw myself in the mirror tonight, naked again, my gut is dissolving and going away - now I wish I had a before picture. I was floored at how good I looked.

The science experiment continues… fantastic progress!

James Brown “ I feel good, … “

Day 8 and all is well, In fact better than well.

I’ve been drinking 16oz of coffee with cinnamon oil and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil each day. Yesterday I added a slice of homemade wheat bread and 3 tablespoons of cream cheese. This morning my body expelled that intake in a non-violent manner, this is a good thing.

I’ve remained in ketosis no problem, marching on towards day 14. As I plan my fasting exit, i’ll introduce minor amounts of simple ingredient over the next days so that my digestive system does not go into shock as I exit the fast.

Excellent energy physically, mental clarity, creative and optimistic thinking, great mood - very balanced.

as I was walking this morning I was thinking about my fast.

My body had enough to digest and expell from my minimal consumption yesterday, What was expelled was extremely dark black.

I wonder, if the amount I ate simply moved through a well lubricated system like a bottle brush to clean out anything that had been attached or remaining.

Now as I move forward with the fast, potentially all of the cells that were near something that has now moved on - might have the opportunity for a deep level of autophagy type of regeneration. Who knows…

Day 9 and all is well.

The scale reported 96.8kg/213.4lbs in the middle of the night - i’ll Take that.

Yesterday I had an avocado, a slice of bread, small amount of roast beef with gravy. And it was too cold to do any significant walking, attempting to correct that today.

A mental health observation:

• my mind is not circling by repeating the same pattern of thought over and over again, this is significant
  • excellent mood, very optimistic and balanced
  • excellent energy, looking forward to walking a few miles later today

Still consuming about 120oz of water with added table salt.
Still consuming 16oz of coffee with two tablespoons coconut oil and two drops of cinnamon oil.

(Ethan) #49

Interesting… you and I both suffer from the circular thought pattern. I always thought it was a form of autism.

I haven’t considered it yet while fasting. I’ll have to look closer now

I am litely brushed by Autism yet not enough to be categorized as Aspergers or HFA. My DNA has some of the markers for Autism but not strong enough to be a significant concern, and I can’t score high enough on online tests unless I purposely game the test towards desired results.

Part of my reasoning for doing the extended fast is to determine if the fast would knock out any mental health considerations. After watching “the science of fasting” I am hopeful that the net result after two or three weeks of fasting will be my new baseline.

This is very exciting, my mind is so clear and more importantly clean and open.

Looking forward!

Day 10 and all is well.

Excellent energy, clear mind, no aches at all, optimistic.

I’m certainly continuing my fast through Friday, maybe Sunday, maybe an additional week.

I get bored but still not hungry.

Yesterday I ate an avocado and my normal coffee with 2 drops of cinnamon oil and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.

Keep on keep-in on!

Day 11 and all is well.

My metabolism is slowing down, as is the weight loss. My pants are very loose, belt notch three is loose and I could probably tighten to belt notch four.

I’ve been eating an Avocado, nibble of chicken, one cheese stick each day just to add a bit of something into my digestive system.

Excellent physical energy, amazing mental clarity, no aches, excellent mood that is very forward looking.

Walking each day which is random durations as sometimes it is just too cold to be outside for very long.

Using urine strips at least twice a day and they are always dark rose or a huge of purple indocating that ketones are present.

Day 12 and all is well.

Social dinner last night, consumed broccoli and a few nibbles of steak.

Excellent energy, clear mind, great mood - loving the fast and not hungry.

(Michael ) #54

I haven’t managed to break the 5 day mark yet, mostly because of bordem and depression. Congrats on the fast and testing your might

Thank you.

Bordom is the main distraction, I have to keep busy either moving around or solving problems with my mind.

My mental health truly started changing after 4 to 5 days. Clean thoughts, no circling on the same topic, clear focus, easy to stay on task, easy to resume task after interruption.

(Michael ) #56

That’s what I hear. I’m a long time anxiety and depression sufferer, so want to try longer to see effects. I have improved anxiety a lot with keto and IF but want to experiment with longer fasts

Day 13 today, everything going great!

I varied from my plan yesterday as I had two social food outings. I consumed asparagus, Brussels sprouts and salmon - all smaller quantities and all within my normal keto foods. Remained in ketosis so I carry forward. At the moment my body is carrying water from the fiber consumed which is fine.

Still excellent energy, sleeping significantly better, mental focus and clarity.

James Brown “ I feel good … “

On the body physical side of health, some pain in my upper left abdomen quadrant (potentially pancreatitis) has subsided and the prostate seems to be significantly healthier.

Day 14 - all is well, no issues, still not hungry.

I think my body stalled on weight loss and I think my day of eating has me going again with the weight loss. My pants are so loose.

Still having coffee with coconut oil and cinnamon oil.

Still drinking 90 to 120oz of water with salt each day.

Excellent energy, clear mind, great mood.

I’m going to continue the fast through day 21 unless my body encounters any type of issues. I’ll eat with the family on Christmas Day but that will be a small meal following my macros.

Day 15 - all is fantastic!

I need new belts and i’ve Avoided my scale because I know it lies.

Excellent energy, great mood, feeling very balanced.

Yesterday, I had a slice of homemade bread that was made with super nutrient rich fermented grains, as a wheat sour dough. I was high for about an hour, either from alcohol in the bread or just the ingredients. Did not kick me out of ketosis but did lower my numbers (coloring on the test strip) but ketones continue,

Extending the fasting through next Friday of New Years weekend.

I’m on belt notch number 4 on one belt and my pants are still loose, belt and pants have to be replaced now.