Fibre - is it the high carb diet's last straw? Keto bashing in the mainstream. "There goes the keto diet!", predicted the celebrity doctor

fibre

(Bunny) #2

Ah that’s the rub! (Shakespeare):

When you reach the end of the tangled rope being weaved that seeks to deceive their are three key players that really matter with what’s being cited above and that is advanced glycation end products they are:

1. methylglyoxal

2. 3-deoxyglucosone

3. fructosamine 3-kinase (FN3K)

Sub-factors:

1. Glutathione depletion

2. Organic sulfur depletion

(Doug Wold) #3

Jeff Volek and Steve Phinney just discussed this very topic on the Virta blog.

https://blog.virtahealth.com/fiber-colon-health-ketogenic-diet/

Thanks @Doug1 Doug.

(Bunny) #5

Was looking at this earlier also (deeply insightful and comprehensive):

Fiber and Colon Health On A Well-Formulated Ketogenic Diet: New Insights Question Its Role As An Unconditional Requirement: “…Despite the emphasis placed on fiber as a part of a healthy diet (assuming that one is eating lots of dietary carbohydrate and thus not in nutritional ketosis), the fact remains that fiber is not an essential nutrient in its own right. From this perspective, soluble fiber plays a supporting role in colon health, but only if one has an optimized microbiome that produces butyrate. Thus, while it tends to get top billing in health promotion, since fiber primarily facilitates the production of SCFAs like butyrate, they are the real stars of the show.

Fiber is often further separated into two categories:

1. Soluble (absorbs water, increases stool bulk, prone to fermentation)
  1. Insoluble (promotes motility, less prone to fermentation) …More

(Bunny) #6

Carbohydrate quality and human health: a series of systematic reviews and meta-analyses: “…Implementation of recommendations to increase dietary fibre intake and to replace refined grains with whole grains is expected to benefit human health. …”

“…benefit human health?..” Not by much according to Dr. Berg?

Are Whole Grains REALLY that Healthier than Refined Grains?

This is a recent talk in which this cardiologist responds to the fibre issue. It’s only a segment in the talk though.
The whole speech is worth listening to.

(https://youtu.be/HvMFj6NxPGI)

Keto and Metamucil (psyllium) as a daily fiber supplement?

Thanks Mito. This is awesome. Dr. Malhotra actually talks about the scientific paper that this comment thread is based on, and about Professor Mann getting his facts wrong and misleading mainstrem media about LCHF eating.

Low carb negative headline is “an example of eminence and ignorance at the highest level of academia trumping evidence and truth.”

(Chris) #9

Lol fiber has no benefits.

Everything you need fiber for (which is not digestion, by the way) is covered on a properly-implemented ketogenic diet.

Here’s some further info from @amber.

(Scott O) #10

Going Keto finally lead me to eat high fiber vegetables.

(Carl Keller) #11

I agree that fiber is very important in a diet rich in processed foods. In his book The Obesity Code, Jason Fung likens the relationship between processed foods and fiber as poison is to antidote and says that without the poison, the antidote in unnecesary.

Futhermore, he says, It is no coincidence that virtually all plant foods, in their natural, unrefined state, contain fiber. Mother Nature has pre-packaged the “antidote” with the "poison. Processed foods remove fiber for palatability and profit.

(Sheila) #13

I began to doubt the great FIBER MYTH when I researched diverticulitis as it is a family issue resulting in surgery for two siblings who both subscribed to the fiber will fix it mentalality.
The treatment for diverticulitis is low fiber when you have a flare up but return to high fiber when you recover but expect a flare up and return to low fiber.
Since eating a Keto WOE I have had no problems and can’t wait until my next colonoscopy ( not really) to see if any healing has happened. It would prove that diverticulitis can be reversed if I have any improvement.
Just another case of medical professionals thinking they have the answer without the science to back it up.

(Chris) #14

Couple anecdotes regarding diverticulitis:

http://meatheals.com/category/digestion/diverticulitis/

(Sheila) #15

DThanks, I always enjoy reading another’s stories of success with healthy eating. I wish I could help others to see the light. I donot look forward to hearing about my siblings latest bowel flare ups and surgery but they think I am crazy for eating this way. I think they are crazy for eating a diet that has always made them sick. Still love them but can’t fix them.

And less meat?

(Karen) #17

Lchf. The lc, because it’s veggies like broccoli, is going to be higher in fiber anyway, pretty much. It is for me anyway.

Link above to more fibre discussion and media reports on the same scientific paper.

Media reports in the UK were from January 2019.

It just took a bit longer for Dr. Swan to report on it in Australia.

(Omar) #19

Interresting

I have diverticulitis

I posted here many times that sometimes fibers help in other times they hurt.

leafy greens are wide range of vigitables some of them hurt like kale others help like lettuce.

lettuce is much better than nuts.

(Todd Allen) #20

This won’t lower avocado prices, despite being low in sugar and starch they are high in fiber.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #21

It isn’t Fung that says that it is dr Lustig in a YouTube video. He was one of the first people to come out and say that sugar is poison. He has a great lecture on this.

(KCKO, KCFO) #22

I had posted this to another thread this week… For me, it seems to be correct. Maybe not everyone.