Fermented foods

(Catherine ) #1

Hi everyone. I don’t think I have heard fermented foods mentioned in relation to the keto diet and was wondering how many people ferment and what they ferment. Looking forward to hearing from you .

Probiotics?
(Richard Morris) #2

We make kimchi regularly. Sometimes make our own yogurts (from coconut cream usually). Also made a sauerkraut once. I should do that again some time as it was delicious.

(Eric Bryant) #3

I would really love to make Kimchi or Sauerkraut, but everything I find seems rather time consuming. Like waiting weeks for it to be ready to eat…am I wrong? Is their a quick way?

Here is a great thread on homemade creme fraiche or sour cream

(Jacquie) #5

I make kimchi and sauerkraut. I love this site! Check it out. :smile:

(Jessika Nilsson) #6

I make kimchi and kombucha :slight_smile:
I let the kombucha ferment for at least 3 weeks and keep my fingers crossed that most of the sugar will be eaten by the scooby :wink:
And kimchi I generally let ferment for a week, but you can eat it after just 3 days

(Eric Bryant) #7

So do any of you use special equipment to make kimchi or sauerkraut?

(Alex Peralta) #8

I’ve made this a few times. It really does taste good.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.food.com/amp/recipe/curtido-de-repollo-el-salvadorean-cabbage-salad-207798

(Roxanne) #9

I’ve actually modified my method using my Sous Vide gizmo and now achieve consistent results every time! Posted on the original thread :slight_smile:

(Adam Hagen) #10

I make Kefir, kraut, kombucha, pickled veg mix (cauliflower will change your life!) and I also am working a batch of fermented hot sauce with Ghost Chile’s and Scorpion Chile’s, I also have a jar of white wine vinegar going right now too, I’m waiting to try try my latest batch of kraut in which I put stinging nettle as an experiment. I’ve also made plenty of yogurt and creme fraiche in my time. The “work” is the upfront part and is truly not difficult at all, the wait time is the hard time, but usually 3 weeks for kraut and it’s worth the wait as it lets the bugs do their magic. I would recommend buying Sandor Katz’s book The Art Of Fermentation, it’s a literal text book on everything fermentation. Be wary though, it has become quite the rabbit hole that I’ve gone down here the past few months!

(Catherine ) #11

Hi Eric. Yes there is a quicker whey (pun intended). You simply add a tablespoon or so of whey to your mixture and depending on where you are in the world you could have your fermented product in a few days. I live in the tropics so it only takes a few days (I always leave it for 3 days). If you live in a colder climate it may take longer. To get whey you simply need to buy some natural yoghurt and strain it. the liquid which is strained off is the whey and can be kept in the refrigerator satisfactorily. Given that you have already made a batch though you can by-pass the whey and just add a tablespoon or so or liquid from the previous batch to the new one. Carbs are reduced by fermentation and nutritional value is skyrocketed. Happy fermenting :grinning:

(Catherine ) #12

Hi. Yes i have his book. So good to hear of all the fantastic fun you have been having with fermentation. I am known as the fermenting queen and some believe that if they stand still long enough THEY will end up in a bottle lol.

my latest two experiments have been with bananas and guacamole…both delicious…especially the banana…who would have thought that banana could be such a taste sensation when fermented and the liquid that it was fermented makes the most delicious (and probiotic) drink…yum. Happy fermenting

(Catherine ) #13

mmmmm… thanks for giving me something to think about Roxanne. I will have to investigate that . Be blessed.

(Catherine ) #14

Great work Alex…it’s great to experiment with fermenting and your over-all health will benefit from it. Blessings.

(Catherine ) #15

No. Just need a bottle with a good seal. If you can have access to a Fido or Mason jar you don’t have to be concerned about ‘burping’ the bottle because these jars allow carbon dioxide out while not permitting oxygen to enter. :smile:

(Catherine ) #16

good work Jessika! Apparently there is some sugar left in Kombucha so diabetics are advised to be careful (according to what I have read, I am no scientist). However Water Kefir has absolutely no sugar remaining and so is perfect for the diabetic. Do you use a bit of the liquid from one batch to ferment the next?

(Catherine ) #17

good on you Jacquie…happy fermenting

(Catherine ) #18

thank you Florella…I will definitely give this a go. I make sour ‘cream’ and soft cheese from milk kefir. i have also cultured some nut cheeses…very keto friendly :slight_smile:

(Catherine ) #19

yes Richard - absolutely. I encourage you to add to your fermenting prowess and reap the rewards. I love listening to you guys by the way…and I particularly appreciate your vast knowledge and your ability to share it in a way that is easily understood. Good to have an Aussie as well so i can understand 'the numbers more clearly. keep up the good work.

(jketoscribe) #20

We make sauerkraut, Half sour dill pickles, dairy kefir, kombucha, beet kvass, and I make my own coconut yogurt. I’m trying to make coconut cream cheese right now but I don’t think it’s working. Sometimes I make a fermented apple chutney that’s probably not all that low carb, but so delicious and I try to keep myself to tiny portions.

Fermenting takes really very little work, but yes, you may have to wait weeks to have an edible product when making kraut, kimchee, kombucha. But the solution to that once you get going is to stagger your ferments so the next batch is ready just about when you finish the first. That plus some patience will give you great reward!

I use airlocks on mason jars for most of my ferments but thinking of buying some “Pickle Pipes” for this year’s pickles.

For my kombucha I have a “continuous brew” set up, which is nothing more than a large glass jar with a spigot dispenser that draws from the bottom.

For my yogurt, I use the Instant Pot multi-cooker. Works great.