Probiotics?

I’ve been real into dietary probiotics - mostly in Kefir (organic unsweetened), fermented sauerkraut , kumbachu,

Can’t do these too well on Keto but might try to experiment a bit with fermenting kraut and other vegies.

Any ideas ?

Ha ha - kefir will be something I’ll try to add back once I’m at goal - LOVE that stuff !

(Allie) #2

I brew water kefir and have no problems.
Drink one glass each day, sometimes two.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #3

Many work fermented food into their keto way of life, a thread with many recipes is linked below.

Oh please tell me more ! I’m seeing this now - I’ve got to find some activated milk kefir grains and some coconut or other milk and then go throught this process. Sounds like this should be low carb !
THANKS!

(Allie) #5

Water kefir is the same as milk kefir, just using sugar water instead of milk. The sugar is eaten up during fermentation in the same way, oh water kefir tastes a heck of a lot better than milk kefir too! I do a second fermentation with berries (blueberries, blackberries, or strawberries) to flavour it so it ends up tasting like a fruity soda, but without the sugar and of course loaded with probiotics.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

I like whole milk yoghurt with active cultures. It’s tasty and seems to work well. My ancestors were northern European, so I don’t have to worry about lactose intolerance. Though my niece and nephew are Africans, and I notice that cheese and ice cream seem to be dietary staples for them!

(CharleyD) #7

If you can handle sauerkraut, you can probably handle kimchi, we’re lucky enough to have a Korean bbq place that also sells it by the jar.

I’ll snag one once the cravings hit, if a swig of sauerkraut juice doesn’t satisfy.

Oh this all sounds great - we’ve been using this purchased organic kefir and loving it it’s milk based. I’ll try the water based. We add frozen organic cherries to it but I haven’t since on keto. Cool to hear the sugar’s eaten up by fermentation. I just bought some stuff to make this myself. Will be glad to add back probiotics !
Thanks for such great info !!!