Fermented foods

(Naomi Brewster) #21

We buy sauerkraut - expensive but yummy and have a tablespoon with eggs so it last quite a long time. I make kambucha - I know it starts out with tonnes of sugar but by the time we drink it, the sugar has all be used up by the scoby. I’d love to learn to make kimchi and sauerkraut properly.

(Jessika Nilsson) #22

Luckily enough I never became diabetic, so I don’t need to be careful with kombucha when it comes to that regard at least. When I start a new batch of kombucha I always use liquid from the previous batch :slight_smile: But maybe I should start doing this when I make kimchi too?
I was considering Water kefir for a while, but I thought they sounded more tricky as it wouldn’t be as easy to take a break from as kombucha …

Definitely try it at home. Apparently it is so much better with a wider variety of good stuff than commercially produced.

(Catherine ) #24

You Tube can be your best friend Naomi…:slight_smile:

(Catherine ) #25

yes. definitely use some of the liquid from the previous batch. You only need a tablespoon or so depending on the size of the bottle. Rejuvelac is another you may like to try Jessika…it is made my fermenting wheat or Quinoa (at least they are the two i have tried). Experimentation is fun and the internet is such a useful research tool. Happy fermenting :slight_smile:

(Catherine ) #26

you have piqued my interest with these bottles…I’ll check them out. thanks :slight_smile:

(jketoscribe) #27

Sauerkraut is so easy and cheap to make.

Buy a nice ORGANIC cabbage that feels heavy for its size. Reserve one or two clean outer leaves Slice or chop the rest up into a large bowl. Sprinkle with 1-2 tbsp sea salt or other natural salt. Wash your hands and knead the cabbage pieces for a few minutes until the cabbage softens and you get a lot of liquid. Pack the cabbage down in a 2 qt mason jar and top with remaining liquid in your bowl. Leave about 1/2 inch air space.

Top with the large cabbage leaves to keep the chopped stuff under the brine. I have some glass weights to help hold it down under the liquid, but not required.

Put a lid on the jar and put the whole thing into a bowl to catch drips. Once or twice daily you need to BURP the jar or risk an explosion. The warmer it is the more often this will need to be done.

When the cabbage is no longer green and the burps no longer smell like farts (sorry, but they do!), you can start tasting your kraut. Use a clean fork each time, no double dipping. Kraut is done when you like the taste. It should taste more sour than salty. We like very sour kraut, but you may prefer less sour. Place the jar in the fridge to slow fermenting.

Once you have the process down you can add things like caraway seeds, dill, garlic, etc. you’ll wonder why you ever spent so much money on this easy ferment.

PS white growth on the top of the jar is natural yeast, not mold. Just wipe it out with a clean cloth.

(Dustin Cade) #28

I need this in my life!

since I have started keto my use of spicy sauces has decreased… I used to use Sriracha on my Sriracha… too much sugar in that for Keto… I’ve been too lazy I guess to make my own…

(Robin Weitzman) #29

I’m going to start making lacto-fermented mayo yum yum yum yum

(Robin Weitzman) #30

Also, salting should be done by weight and water content (salt concentration) to prevent molding. So… Cabbage plus 1-2 TB is vague. Please consult specific recipes for accurate salt measuring to prevent spoiling food or making yourself sick!

Pupusas are El Salvadorean? I thought they were Honduran? And I remember seeing the curtido in jars, at room temperature…no refrigerator. How do you make it?

(Cheryl Meyers) #32

My Japanese hubby loves making nukazuke veggies – pickled carrots, daikon, cucumbers, turnips, what-have-you. This is a good primer for people outside Japan: http://japanese-kitchen.net/recipe-items/nukadoko-pickling-bed-to-make-nukazuke/

(Catherine ) #33

oooo I’ll have to research that…sounds good

(Allie) #34

I make my own water kefir, flavoured with berries (actually trying a mango flavoured batch at the moment but no idea how it will turn out). Used to make loads of kombucha but can’t stomach it now.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #35

I love to ferment foods. My favorite are kimchi, sauerkraut, green beans and radishes. I also own Sandor Katz book. I fell far down the rabbit hole and make wine as well.
I want to make booch again. I had quite the collection before keto. I need to obtain or grow a new scoby from a live commercial bottle of kombucha.
Sauerkraut is SO easy. All you need is cabbage, salt, and a Mason jar. My secrets are:
to weigh the cabbage to get an accurate salt measurement, massaging the cabbage and salt 10 full minutes, and fermenting on the counter in a jar or crock 4 full weeks.
Nom nom nom

(brenn holiday) #36

I made yogurt using heavy whipping cream (using a recipe I got from Dr. Davis’ Wheat Belly Blog). It was amazing.

That gave me an idea for a way to improve my Daisy Sour Cream.

I took 45 grams of the whipped cream yogurt and added it to a big tub of sour cream and turned it into yogurt using the same method.

It took the sour cream to the next level.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #37

That name tho.
I hesitate to respond to testicles.

(brenn holiday) #38

Then it is a good thing I am TESTOCULES :smirk:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #39

Yeah yeah, I see that. Pffffft. You ain’t fooling anyone Mr. Testicle. Lol

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #40

BTW, I love to make creme fraiche on my countertop with heavy cream. I stir in a spoonful of plain Greek yogurt and leave it out for two days
So good.
I’m also fermenting cabbage atm.