FEBRUARY 2020 IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

I failed my planned longer fast but I did OMAD, it’s something I couldn’t do lately. And I didn’t need much to feel right again :wink: 23 hours, better than what I had lately…
I aim for a longer fast again, there is still so much time even on ZornFast but I think I will try to go for slightly longer ones later too. Eating only when hungry (or need fuel as I don’t always feel hunger then)? I always was very bad at it. I can have lunch or dinner any time when I am not quite full or have a negative appetite, some basic satiation or zero appetite isn’t a problem at all, let alone lack of hunger. I almost never wait for hunger. Only on ZornFast but even a subtle one isn’t enough then unless there are other reasons to stop like not enjoying it AT ALL. I felt plain miserable before I broke my fast, I don’t know why, I felt okay physically, just a slight hunger. Whatever. I don’t suffer.

(back and doublin' down) #162

This makes total sense to me, and is how I usually try to go into a fast. Last night, it wasn’t an option. Today’s been a bit tough, can’t decide if it’s really the fast or my determination to do it without sweeteners.

Shopped for new leggings a size smaller, that was a good mental way to start this fast!

Oh. And I thought I am a weirdo who tends to eat whenever the completely satiated state isn’t present and some trigger emerges… I saw so many fasters who suffered horribly but stayed “strong”, I am quite far from them and on a normal day I don’t even wait until hunger most of the time (I don’t get easily hungry though) or even a neutral state sometimes, we humans are complex and there are other urges… At least I do it better on my planned fasts.
And I am adamant I really weaken my compulsive lunch eating behavior now.
I already started to shift my OMAD (when I actually do it. I usually do TMAD but anything is possible between 0 and 3 meals a day, 3 is still IF to me) some time ago, I often eat an early dinner instead of a late lunch. It’s hard to make changes even when I am not hungry, I am a slave of my very long term strong habits, it’s a family meal after I cooked a meal… Carnivore helps as my satiation is just perfect, mere habits have little chance. I needed it, it’s like magic, I get huge control out of nowhere. OMAD has similar effects. OMAD without keto was way more effective for me than keto without OMAD (except I couldn’t do it long term). But they are best together. With TMAD days as keto OMAD is too effective and my body realizes it, the little calorie counter. But it’s its energy intake, of course it can “count”. I don’t know why many people don’t have that, especially on keto and IF, I saw some horribly low numbers there. If I undereat, I will notice (almost always on the first day but sometimes a new diet tricks my body and it takes 3 days) and have no power to continue not like I want to. Fasting is different and it’s very short term for me anyway. I don’t even know if a longer fast works now. I did 120 hours in a smaller body decades ago but I have no idea what my metabolism did - though it may slow down, it’s fine as long as it quickly speed up again afterwards… I would just try it once, I don’t want longer than 48-72 hour fasts, normally.

(Jane) #164

No, not an option until i can retire and be home all the time… and I am a few years away from that.

Reason being is meal times are so important to him and I am gone so much on business that I wouldn’t dream of not eating with him when I am home. :slightly_smiling_face:

(John) #165

Back to my weekly Fasting Friday regimen today. Seems to be a good day for it.

(back and doublin' down) #166

Everyone’s been quiet ~ fasting? not fasting?

I’ve been fasting since Wednesday evening, had planned to go the full four days+ and break tomorrow. (the 4 day fast of the Clark Protocol). Going to deviate again, and only feast today, breaking early. It is so much easier to feast at home, and fast on work days. I had a cup of broth last night, so technically broke then I guess. But, I have a sleep study tonight and would rather do that having feasted so as not to skew the results.

So I’ll be starting the 5 day fast later this evening. Will be able to weigh on a clinic scale Friday to see the change in body fat (approximate). 11 months ago, I was at this same identical weight, with estimated 45% body fat. Today’s weigh in, scale says 39% body fat. Also want to check blood pressure on Friday, as I’ve started dropping the bp med on fasting days because fasting seems to lower both my heart rate and my blood pressure.

I’ve been struggling with eating too much junk. House renovations have started and the weather is just sooooo grey and wet, so depressing.

On a night shift at present and just restarted a stricter way of eating at midnight. Two months to lose weight and tone up for a wedding in the Philippines so need to get some decent fasting in.

I only did 2 very modest (totally low-calorie to me) OMAD days and then weekend came and my rebel and hedonist selves had their fun, for some reason, even OMAD and being slightly hungry for a while tired me out. Oh well I will learn when I should eat, eventually.

The weather is beautiful here, it’s good for more exercise but it makes me more hedonistic and it’s not always useful :slight_smile: But if I spend 1-2 days on carnivore (I deliberately went off but it’s a slippery slope for me since I tried carnivore. I was better before. I don’t do very crazy things but it’s end of winter too, the time when fruits are more tempting to me…), it will be okay.

I plan OMAD/TMAD days and extremely low-carb on most days. And a tad more control, that will be just perfect. I don’t want to be very disciplined, that wouldn’t be me.
Extreme low-carb is my first concern, I rather not focus on fast so much as this ZornFast showed I am just not ready for it now. So it’s just IF for me, with a bigger or smaller eating window. (If I will be fine, I do a longer fast but it must happen totally naturally.)

(Patricia) #169

It’s tougher for me, too, as we move toward the end of winter. We still have a ton of snow on the ground and while I DO get out for an almost-daily walk, the effect of “cabin fever” does set in and some old/bad habits rear their heads…

(back and doublin' down) #170

@Chezza & @NorthwoodsPat #metoo on the end of winter anxieties. Though, we could easily have two more months of winter here. Been having what feels like unusually warm weather that’s giving me a taste of mud season which also makes me want to avoid outside.

@Shinita Great plan! When fasting starts to trip me up, I go back to the basics too. Each day builds my patience that regardless of what the scale says, I’m making healthy choices for my body and the healing takes time. Weight wise, I’m in the same zone I was a year ago. Size wise? down from 18s in the plus size section to 16s in the regular size sections. 16s! At my most thin in my 20s (and not by healthy means), the smallest piece of clothing was a 14. I’m considering adding core/strengthening exercises now to start toning.

Meanwhile, I’m 11 hours into a 135 hr fast. It will be a busy work week, and will be distracting myself by studying hormones and nutritional health for the brain. Going to continue HWC in my morning coffee as some of my supplements go better with “food” and the cream seems to help that. Tracking my use of sweeteners with a focus of slow elimination. Both are fasting crutches for me, and this is my longest planned fast ever.

KCFO! Would love the tips and tricks that help you past the hurdles, reading those really helps me over the hurdles!

I’ve gone back to basics and started strictly tracking food intake to make sure carb creeping isn’t kicking in. Back to training wheels of cream in coffee and sweetener just to get through whilst I get back into ketosis. I’m going to wait until I’ve been keto for a week before I try fasting again.

Hope everyone is doing well :blush:

(Bob M) #172

Well, I finally made it 32 or so hours of fasting, with about 40 minutes of body weight training this morning (no HIIT to get to work earlier). Will end the fast sometime around the 36 hour fast mark. I haven’t been able to fast this long in a while. Going to try OMAD on Wednesday, eating a high saturated fat, low PUFA diet sometime during midday.

I personally have great workouts while fasting this length of time. I’m not sure why, especially coming from someone who ate before and after immediately after workouts, thinking that was what was necessary. Now, I eat when I get hungry.

(Patricia) #173

So have I… I think I wrote that I finally ordered a Keto-Mojo and have been checking glucose and ketones the last 4 days. This will be very helpful in keeping me honest, as yesterday I thought I’d kept within my carb range but today the ketones dropped. I didn’t log everything and think that I just got lazy and took in more carbs than I intended to. I’m still just in nutritional ketosis, but I’d like to be a little higher than the meter showed today. Live and learn and all that.

(back and doublin' down) #174

@NorthwoodsPat oh Patricia, you make me want a keto mojo! Had it in my Amazon cart several times but haven’t taken the plunge. I’m afraid more data would just cause me more stress.

@ctviggen WTG on the fast and the workout! I’ve been following threads on the PUFAs and considering changes.

35 hours in, 100 more to go. And that’ll wrap up the Clark Protocol. Got really cold last night at about the 24hr mark, a day earlier than usual.

And, woke with a sore throat and drainage. Ugh! Wondering, have I stressed my body too much? Coincidence? Maybe fasting for more days will help me heal? Will cold medicine counteract the good fasting vibes?

(Brennan) #175

Hello everyone! ~26ish hours in (I can’t remember exactly when I had supper last night) :shushing_face:
Aiming for somewhere in the 3 to 5 day range this go around.
Wishing everyone the best and kcko!

(back and doublin' down) #176

Brennan! Glad to have you along for a longer fast. At 49hrs and feeling confident I’ll make it into day 3. I’m aiming for 5, have not ever done past 4.

Drank lots of water and hot tea today, and tonight…No sore throat! Hmmm. fasting magic?

(Brennan) #177

I always find day 3 and 4 to be the best! Fasting brain is in full swing, I get sooooo much done!
Good luck on reaching your goal!

I can imagine your body has more resources to improve things now :wink: Whatever is the case, it’s good to hear you are better now.

Good luck, everyone, my fasting abilities are pretty weak right now but I am sure it will change soon and I resume my OMAD/TMAD with a tiny eating window.

(back and doublin' down) #179

I’ve made it to day 3! Here’s hoping @Brennan’s prediction about days 3&4 are for me too.

Still a little shocked at how quickly my sore throat went away. There’s a twinge is something in my sinuses, overall seems the symptoms have passed.

Happy Fasting Everyone! KCFO

(Bob M) #180

I find the same.