FEBRUARY 2020 IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

(KCKO, KCFO) #1

New month, new thread.

How is everyone doing with their fasting so far this year?

January 2020 IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)
(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #2

Thanks for asking @collaroygal

Mine has not been consistent because of family logistics that got crazy and some related stress plus I’ve upped my workout game a lot and my body says feast on workout days and sometimes on the days after.

BTW - the family is good. All is well.

I’m made a commitment to do two extended fasts the next two weeks. At least 2 day fast and maybe 3 days.

My annual physical is at the end of Feb and I have two weeks of fasting potential before my blood draw.

(John) #3

Still fasted since yesterday, though I plan to end it this morning, maybe 10-ish. Having some black coffee right now.

Happy Groundhog Eve everyone!

Edit: I did wrap it up at 10am, as expected, making for about 36 hours. Back next week.

(Patricia) #4

Thanks for asking, @collaroygal! So far this year, I did my 5 day fast in January, with another 5 day planned for February. Prior to an auto-immune diagnosis I received, I was doing almost daily 18-6 or 16-8 IFs, but I haven’t been able to maintain that into the last half of January. I’m just trying to listen to my body on this… but hope to get back to routine IF-ing by March. Haven’t scheduled the 5 day February fast yet, since I check our family calendar to see what makes the most sense so I can fit into life overall at home… I’ll be letting you know when I start that.

Meanwhile, I track this thread and support you all, no matter the form our fasts may take!

(Mame) #5

I am trying something a bit new for February and creating a fasting plan for the entire month.

I will be fasting every Monday and Thursday for the entire month. Game night Thursday - fasting. President’s day off - fasting.

Mostly I want to see if I can build a strong ADF habit. I don’t care how long the fast is in total – 30 hours, 36 hours, 42 hours – whatever.
I also want to seriously lower my decision fatigue. The plan for the whole flipping month is done.
Oh and I really want to get to a new low on the scale. I haven’t had one since August. It’s getting old.

And as always I do not want to eat when I am not hungry.

Cheering us all on no matter what the plan may be!!

(back and doublin' down) #6

This is the sentence I will ponder today.
@collaroygal Thanks for the new thread!

I did not fast in January, and am now avoiding the scale. Had multiple blood pressure issues, med changes, focused on hydrating.

Going to kickstart February with the Fung protocol of 3x fasting this week, then considering a round of the ‘Clark’ Protocol which would take me to the 29th. Like @cervyn, ready to see some definitive moving of the scale. downward preferrably!

(Mame) #7

Happy Meal-less Monday for those fasting.

Today is my first of four February fasting Mondays. 14 hours in, don’t care how long I go as long as I don’t eat until Tuesday so that would be at least 29 hours. Although it is very unlikely I will be awake at one minute after midnight to eat tonight. :rofl:

I am going to allow my fasting crutches such as broth, cream in coffee and brine/pickle juice as needed.

I will take my GKI when I get home from work. I hope everyone has a fabulous day.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #8

I started after dinner last night. 16+ hrs in. Going to at least tomorrow at dinner. I’m hoping for Wednesday dinner so ~70 hrs. This is my first fast without coffee.

It has been since sometime in 2019 since I got a 3 day fast in. I’m planning on fasting next week, skipping the week after for blood draw for physical and then fasting before I see my PCP on 2/25.

I do my failure training Thursday morning this week so will feast Thursday.

After some struggling (I am willing to eat only a handful of food items and my supplies are lacking), today I came back to IF, finally. It’s how I roll since very long, it’s always odd and hints at some problem when I don’t do it.
But today I only had dinner - and a tiny, pure fat snack. Nice. I plan to stick to a small eating window. There will be ZornFast with a longer fast but I don’t plan more, they should eventually happen naturally. There surely will be evenings when I won’t be hungry, I’m not in a hurry.

I do my best to stop my excessive coffee drinking. I drank my last coffee in January, it’s fine this far. I have water and tea when I fast.

(Mame) #10

I am at 24 hours fasted and just took my blood measurements:

bg=74, bk=2.2, gki=1.867
Break fast sometime on Tuesday. I had normal concentration at work today so that was good.

I hope everyone is having a fine day.

(back and doublin' down) #11

WTG ~ sounds like a nice smooth fast. I had a nice day, nothing high pressure. I’m at 24 hours, going 36. So planning to spend the next several hours catching up around here, drinking green detox tea and planning a hot shower and early bedtime.

(Susan) #12

I am still continuing with the IDM protocol of fasting 3 days a week for 44 hours, doing my 20:4 TMAD on my eating days, and going to do the Zornfast for a minimum of 72 hours as well =).

Best wishes to all that are fasting, whatever style of fasting you are incorporating into your Keto journey =).

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #13

I’m thinking of trying to get a 48-hour fast in. I can work it around my lab draws and everything :smiley: Especially since I normally have my OMAD in the evening, it won’t mess things up too much.

(back and doublin' down) #14

Me too, this week! and then considering launching into the Clark Protocol for the rest of the month. I could use the two days feasting this Sat/Sun to launch. It could totally alter my plans for Presidents’ Day Weekend, so may depend on if I have a date or if I’ve been ghosted. ugh.

Made it to 37 hours! The 24th-27th hours are the hardest. Seems the fasting is helping me tackle some emotional eating triggers. Using positive self talk. More worried about the eating days than the fasting days.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #15

Yesterday I made it to 23 hrs and decided to do a OMAD. I forgot to look ahead on my calendar when said 2 to 3 days. I had a stressful commitment this morning and a basketball game at dinner time (break time) Wednesday. I don’t break fast in the morning before work or when I’m going to be out.

I’m glad I did OMAD yesterday. I still have to control my stress eating. I don’t go off plan but I do get hungry when I am stressed beyond a certain point.

(back and doublin' down) #16

right there with ya, Eric! ugh!

12 hours into another 42 hr fast. Will leave the kitchen spotless when I head off for work thinking it will deter me from wanting to change my mind about fasting. Feeling like fasting this week is practice for the Clark Protocol. I think my body is poised for a shake up in the routine.

(Mame) #17

yes. I stay on plan but for me rewiring my brain to not eat (on plan) for emotional reasons / emotional hunger is ongoing work.

And really it makes perfect sense that we want to comfort ourselves with food when we are stressed. It’s quick and easy and always available. And my sneaky lower brain says things like “well you aren’t going off plan so really how bad can it be to do it?”

Unless something unusual happens (no way, I ate enough), 3 hour eating window for today! Yay! A bigger meal and a tiny one (mostly 4 cups of coffee with milk, something I almost never have except at a relative once a month… Well, 6-10 times on that day(s) but still… If I drink coffee, I drink it all the time, excessively, only good thing it’s weak (I can’t stand bitter things and I can drink warm water flavored with a little tea or coffee).
I had no coffee since 5 days and it’s a big thing for me!!! I tried to cure my headache with it, sometimes it helps. not now but it was nice).

It should have been an OMAD day but my food wasn’t ready for lunch but I was a bit hungry… But I am quite pleased with today (except I get rebellious again, so many nice food to eat and so little carnivore options right now…).

I want a totally awesome day tomorrow, as always. I am always quite (too) optimistic and it’s theoretically not very unrealistic… But it will be way, way easier with a substantial amount of meat. Fortunately I will have that around ZornFast. I am looking forward to it :slight_smile:

(Mame) #19

All right, started my Thursday fast at 8pm tonight. My only goal is to fast all day Thursday, so that’s a minimum of 28 hours, however I will hopefully not be eating at 12:01 after midnight tomorrow so it should be a good 35+ hours.

I seem to be catching my wife’s cold or something. I hope this will make fasting easier. Part of me just wants to sleep and sleep.

I forgot my ketomojo today, so never did get my blood measurements so that will happen at some point Thursday.

See you all tomorrow - kcfo!

(Susan) #20

I wish everyone much success. Never worry if you don’t end up doing the full times you planned, if your body doesn’t feel well, and needs food, then eat and start again. We aren’t in a race, we are on a lifelong happy Keto journey, so little blips in a fast that alternate our paths should not be something we worry or get really upset over =).

I have been doing well with my protocol and doing fine, but I was just thinking about this and I just thought I would mention it as I don’t want people to stress themselves out and get upset if their planned fasts take U-turns at times is all =).

Happy Fasting to all =).