FEBRUARY 2020 IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

(What else is there to talk about?) #21

For those of you doing the IDM protocol, could you tell me a bit about your experience with it. How long have you been following this protocol? Did you notice significant changes in weight loss compared to regular TRE eating and occasional fasting? Autophagy?

Having followed @Momof5‘s weight loss journey and reading that the IDM protocol helped her with her stall has piqued my interest. I’d love to hear about all of your experiences.

(back and doublin' down) #22

I’m back on board with it this week and planning to start Clark protocol with two days feasting Sat/Sun.

I kickstarted a nice drop into Onederland by using the same last Nov/Dec. The drop shifted the balance between my bp & the med. got that all figured out in January. My goal is to fast down into the 180s and then stabilize there for the summer when I’ll be much more active.

That last 18 hrs of the 42 feel to me like my body is really busy doing something different and I’ve come to enjoy it. Tonight I’m officially past my toughest three hours. The 42h also doesn’t seem to create any “refeed “ distress, where longer fasts do. That’s something I will be curious about in taking on the Clark protocol. This feels like the time.

(What else is there to talk about?) #23

Thank you for your response @Paendora! This is exactly what I was looking for. The refeed is definitely one of the things I was hoping people
would discuss as I’ve never fasted multiple times in such a short period before.

Wishing you great success on the Clark protocol and looking forward to hearing how it goes!

(Mame) #24

Checking in on my second fast this month right now at 12+ hours. Going until Friday.
bg=89, bk=2.9, gki=1.7
I will take measurements again this evening #forScience

I seem to coming down with a cold of some kind. Craving rest/sleep way more than food at the moment.

Wishing all a lovely, healthy day!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #25

Mame please get well soon.

(Brandy) #26

@Equines_or_Food- I started the 3x42 protocol this week as well. I’m hoping to bust through a pretty long (almost 5 months) stall with the protocol. Monday’s fast was smooth sailing. I’ll break yesterday’s fast between noon and 1:00 today. I’m feeling great this morning but have to admit that I was struggling last night. A hot bath and an early bedtime saw me through.

Less than a week can’t provide anything conclusive, but I can say that even at this early stage, I’m already feeling better. I shouldn’t have let go of fasting for so long.

(What else is there to talk about?) #27

@Wahinewanders, that’s encouraging to hear, thank you! Please keep posting on how the protocol is working for you.

For reference this is the protocol:

(Susan) #28

I find that I need to mix things up a lot -as my body likes to stay the same weight at times for a while – but, in fairness during these times, I look like I am losing weight, my clothes can get baggier, etc. so even though the scale might not move, my body can still change and re-calibrate and because I am doing some exercising now, perhaps some of my not losing actual weight, might be some of the muscles gaining -as muscles weigh more than fat.

It took me a while being on Keto to understand all of this, and to realize that even when I am frustrated with the scale not moving, my body is still experiencing the wonders of Keto and changing and improving =).

I really like the protocol, I have done it in November (skipped December) and did it in January, now doing it for February and I am planning on keeping with it for quite some time. I also really love the Zornfast that @Brenda Zorn from IDM (and an admin here on the forum) runs monthly. I did 91 hours for it in January, but I try to do at least 72 hours on that one monthly. It is meant to be the third Thursday of the month and then you go for as long as you feel comfortable with. Several of us participate monthly, but we always are happy to have more people participating!! It is very fun and encouraging to do all this Fasting together --it is a great motivation to keep on track I find personally. I like to begin mine on Tuesday nights now since I am doing the IDM protocol since I am fasting from Tuesday night at 5pm until Thursday at 1pm anyway, it makes more sense to me to just begin the Zornfast on the Tuesday at 5 and continue until the Saturday sometime.

(What else is there to talk about?) #29

The scale can easily play with our minds but we just have to keep at it.

@Momof5 , you’re quite an inspiration! You are 100% committed and it shows. You don’t look like the same person in your before and after Pictures. You’re doing great!

(Susan) #30

Thanks a lot =) I am working at it, and I have been doing Keto now for about a year (I forget my exact day, I just know I began in February 2019) and I know I feel a lot better, and my joints are thanking me for the 61 pounds I am down so far --102 to go, but over time, I will get there too =).

(Robert Desrochers) #31

I’m 24 hours into an EF if all goes well
Last time I did this was a year ago and it went very good hoping for the same
Bob

(Susan) #32

Awesome, Bob, I wish you the best =).

(Mame) #33

Well Thursday is winding down. I still feel rather sick but not worse so that’s great.

Sitting at 22.5h-- bg=67, bk=3.6, gki=1.033

Today was one of those rare days when I weighed less in the evening than in the morning. I can be fasting for 72 hours and that won’t happen but sometimes it just does. (I tend to jump on the scale in the morning before getting dressed and in the evening when I change into lounge-wear) No it’s not meaningful but hey lower numbers always motivate me.

Due to eat sometime tomorrow. I am not worried about when exactly (when I am physically hungry). I guess I will go to 36 hours or more…

My goal this month is to have a whole month of successful ADF it’s only Feb 6th but so far so good!!

My third fast of the week will be on Saturday but it will only be from Friday eve to Saturday eve so around 24 hours. Hopefully easy-peasy.

(Susan) #34

I hope that you will be feeling totally well again soon. My household has been through a lot of annoying viruses the past few weeks too, it is not fun for sure =(.

(back and doublin' down) #35

Fasting Friday, anyone? I’m 12 hours into my 3rd 42 hr fast. Busy day will help, and will need to have a plan for tonight to distract myself from food. And then it’s the feast for 2 days to kick off the Clark Protocol! I’m telling myself I’m excited…

(Mame) #36

can’t wait to hear what your body and mind thinks of it. You go and I will cheer you on!

… I found it harder than doing a 9 day fast… But I may try it again in the summer.

I am not fasting today, broke my fast as planned, at ~37h.
measurements were bg=74, bk=3.1, gki=1.325 perhaps a little dawn effect going on there? Scale went down and down, but no new lows for me yet. Everyone will hear when that happens. :star_struck:

My cold symptoms are less as well. Hopefully I will not finish the day feeling exhausted!

I am one of the fortunate ones who rarely has problems with what I eat post fast (of any length) I had egg, pork belly, prosciutto, fermented veggies, chaffle, hollandaise sauce, coffee&hwc. Super pleased I stopped when full…

So I will probably have another meal later on (assuming I get hungry), and then do a 24hour fast, say 5pm Friday to 5pm Saturday… :grinning:

Then next week I will repeat the same ADF schedule all over again. I find it really interesting how challenging I find ADF schedules!

(Jane Srygley) #37

You said elsewhere that this has been effective. Are you still losing? Slowly, quickly…? Do you notice a gain on your eating days?

(John) #38

Fasting Friday again for me, though had a late snack last night so only about 14 hours so far.

Had my last meal early this evening and am attempting my longest fast so far - 7-days :slight_smile:

(Kara) #40

Hi I’m a newbie just joined the forum. I’m five weeks into Keto my blood pressure is down from 128/90 to 101/82 and my trousers are much looser! Yay👏I’m day two of my second three day fast and feeling great, Redmond salt directly on the tongue definitely helping (just listened to the salt fix episode from 2017). Last week I did two days of Alternate day fasting but clearly didn’t eat enough on the eating days and started to feel really sluggish and tired. So having listened to the Switching it Up episode I am trying to figure out another approach that keeps my metabolism guessing. Any tips really appreciated.