February 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(Shayne) #141

HAHA! FIrst 24hr fast was a success. I ate lamb, pork belly, and half a sweet potato with several tbs of coconut oil for dinner. The best part was I tentatively braved the scale this morning and I lost three pounds… which is almost half of my total for the year. I know it won’t continue like that, but it does give one hope and some incentive to continue. Eating today. Fasting again tomorrow.

Thanks for the encouragement!
Have you ever experienced super low energy following breaking a fast? And just feeling generally awful? These past two days since I resumed eating I’ve just felt not good at all. Could I have stressed out my body too much?

(Liz ) #143

Yes I have experienced sluggishness following a refeed. I wouldn’t say I felt awful but definitely low energy. I put it down to my digestive tract needing to kick into gear and not necessarily doing so immediately. But I don’t think it’s a terrible stress.

It’s possible you might be reintroducing a food you have a sensitivity to, like dairy or eggs. Maybe keep a food diary and do some experiments on your next refeed?

(Shayne) #144

2nd 24 hour fast was pretty easy, but did not result in any loss… in fact, I gained back those pounds I lost from the first one. :::sigh::: such is life. But I felt good all day even if I did eat more than I needed to for dinner last night (and I know I did because I remember the conversation in my head about stopping… but there was still good food on my plate… gotta get my mother out of my head). I’m sure it will all even out in the end.

I also have to stop the scale madness… I can see myself getting obsessed again. I’ll weigh tomorrow and then stay off till next Sunday, which is my official weigh in for March… Then I’ll ask my daughter to hold it for me until the day she leaves for Spring Break, which is the Wed before Easter.

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #145

Hello, my keto family! Will read up this weekend. Missing the conversations so much! My commute time involves actual driving now, so no more texting.

Why I haven’t listened to the podcasts in entirety…mind-boggling.

BTW, no temptation to weigh in. The pants fit great.

Happy weekend!

(KCKO, KCFO) #146

Potatoes ( or any other very high starchy veg. for that matter) are going to make your body retain water, even if eaten with good fats. Try using lowest carb veggies after fasting.

It is good to ignore the scales for a while. Good for your mental health.

Good luck on sorting yourself out.

(Shayne) #147

With this second one, I didn’t break with a potato this time. It was mushrooms and avocado with hamburger patties and bacon. But thanks for the advice. It was probably salt since the regained pounds left again as of this morning and took one of its buddies with them for good measure! No, I’m not reducing salt, but sometimes I do go overboard a little.

Today I’ll be getting ready for the week ahead. Here’s wishing everyone a good week!

Good idea, I will keep the food diary and see if I notice any sensitivities. Thanks!

(Allie) #149

I’ve been sticking to my random IF schedule which comprises of me aiming for a minimum of 16 hours of fasting, but going as long as I can after that but then keeping any meals that day within a 6 or 8 hour window when I do eat. Keeps my body guessing as even I don’t know what the schedule will be! :joy:

On Saturday I decided I’d like to try another 48 or 72 hour fast this week, starting today, so last night I didn’t bother prepping any food for work today as it wouldn’t be needed. Then, while I was walking my dog early this morning in what’s predicted to be the most freakishly cold weather to hit the UK for ages, I felt hungry and decided this week probably isn’t the best week to fast due to the cold. So I almost made myself late for work when rushed to prep my convenient keto shake that I make with half homemade almond milk and half olive oil (I get through a LOT of olive oil!) with a couple of raw eggs, some flavouring, a scoop of green powder, and half scoop of unflavoured whey that I’m using up… and now it’s sitting in my work fridge because I don’t even want it as I’m happily sipping on hot water to beat the cold feeling. It’s now almost lunchtime here and I’m still good, currently at nearly 27 hours.

(Liz ) #150

Hey gang, currently in my weekly 2 day fast, will break tonight at dinner. I think that last 70+ hr fast must have kicked something loose because I’m seeing some new low numbers on the scale & I’ve been buying smaller clothes. Maybe this is the “part two” of this particular weight loss journey I’ve been waiting for & trying to prompt?

(Allie) #151

Strangely this is the easiest fast I’ve ever done… :thinking:

(Allie) #152

32 hours on and just tested blood - ketones and glucose both at 3.7mmol :joy:

(Doug) #153

Good for all you fasters for keeping with it.

My plans for a healthy start to 2018 quickly went out the window due to laziness and a resumption of old habits. Not a total collapse - there still is ever-present “Keto consciousness” where I don’t grab the carbs like I used to, and a lot of nothing but meat and eggs in the mornings.

Might be a lot of beer and a lot of pizza in the evening, though, and I’m sure that one such day negates the benefits of multiple Keto days. Not all is lost - haven’t gained weight, just haven’t gone down any more.

A whole 17 hours into a fast, and I feel much better already, most of that is mental, I figure.

(Shayne) #154

I had a Hashi’s flare over the weekend (tried to reintroduce coffee too soon) and was still feeling the ill effects yesterday so didn’t do my planned fast. I’m having what our health program at work calls a biometric screening on Thursday - it’s a weigh in, blood pressure, fasting glucose, and quick cholesterol test, so I decided to not fast on Wed, either, so it doesn’t mess with the cholesterol much (I am never in the mood for that lecture). Back on the fasting wagon on Friday, though!

(Allie) #155

Currently at almost 54 hours and still OK… :slight_smile:

(Allie) #156

Last night after work I started to feel sick and wobbly (wasn’t salt as I’d been sipping warm water with pinches of celtic grey salt dissolved in it all day) so broke fast @ 56 hours, but am now back on it.

(Allie) #157

New March chat -

Super! You look really awesome! I had to find you to say THANK YOU, when I tried OMAD first time early last month you suggested caffiene pills if I wanted to drop the coffee. I did try that - it worked great, nothing like the old ‘eat your stomach’ caffiene pills I took in college LOL. No “rush” just steady wakefulness. I appreciate the hint, thanks!! Again - you look amazing!

(Moriah ) #159

I started with IF in November, then found Jason Fung and started 36 hour fast every other day in December. I have started keto about 2 weeks ago. (I have been on a plateau since beginning of January). I cannot fast with keto. I get full really quick but then hungry again soon. On busy work days I have been eating olives a couple times until about 4 PM (after cream in my coffee in the AM). Then I have to eat. I am coming up very short on protein and calories on a daily basis with the keto. I get full very quickly. I feel like my regimented fasting that I was “religious” about is down the drain. I’m eating several times a day, sometimes I get hungry 4 plus times a day because I get full right away with the keto. Can anyone give me suggestions? is this normal with keto?

(Liz ) #160

Thank you and right on! So glad that helped. I got the tip from @Shortstuff so that’s one of the many reasons why this forum is so great :smile: