February 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(Sam ) #161

I struggled at first (the first few weeks) but now I actually forget to worry about eating if that makes sense. I love the IF model 16:8 as it has begun to teach me about real hunger and how all my life I have actually just been quite indulgent.
Last year I did an 11 day fast witih 7 of those days no food at all. I did it at a retreat so was supervised and the best thing about it was knowing that I can survive! I didnt know anything about keto then actually and it was the beginning of me finding all of this out! I had gone there as I had spent a year in a depression and had been taking atibiotics and generally feeling chronically ill (and not quite right). It really helped and triggered this journey to which I am hugely grateful! So now I do little IF every other day and have lost weight but generally body feels less wobbly and I have no more aches and pains! Understanding hunger has been the biggest game changer for me!

(LouAnn ) #162

I am very new to the this forum but not to LCHF. I am very new to fasting. I am not diagnosed diabetic but I have numbers that a hairs breath away from being diabetic. I decided to try fasting to lower my blood glucose. I never have glucose numbers below 100 - even when doing less than 20grams of carbs. Throughout the day even when I have not eaten in 2-8 hours I still have blood glucose over 110. I started fasting yesterday and the last time I ate was last evening at 7:00pm and my blood glucose has been above 110 all day today. It’s after 4:00pm now and I don’t plan to eat until 7:00pm this evening. My question is this - Has anyone experienced this and if so how long before your glucose numbers came down. The only thing I am consuming is black coffee in the morning with a tablespoon of HWC and I had a bone broth around lunch time. Would this be why my glucose is fluctuating between 104 - 128 today while I am fasting? Secondly, does this confirm that I certainly have IR?

Hi Louann, and welcome! High readings during a fast sounds familiar to me (I think others on here have had that) and my guess is that - yes, it probably indicates IR.
In case you don’t get more responses on this thread, hop on over to the March IF/EF thread, which is active now. Someone will likely start an April one soon :slight_smile:

Liz,
You are an inspiration and I love all of your posts!

(Liz ) #165

Thank you! That’s very kind :blush:

(Tina Emmons) #166

Question: I am in an IF group on FB and the admin wrote a book about IF. Most of the members do not follow a keto diet. As I mentioned before, I have been fasting like crazy for 12 weeks but strict keto when eating and have lost zero pounds. The people in this group are losing 50, 75, 100 pounds eating cake and cookies! They are told they can eat anything they want in their “window” but are also being told they are in ketosis when they aren’t eating??? Is it possible they are losing due strictly to calorie restriction and will not have lasting long term results or??? What am I missing? According to the vast majority there, I should take up cake and cookies!