February 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

Things change a lot as time goes by, and if you were doing a lot of gym 15 years ago, that you aren’t doing now, then the proportion of muscle to fat will be very different now.

I’ve noticed this myself. My legs used to be v different, with more muscle and less fat. Now they have gone the other way. :frowning:

So really, I think old targets may be rather misleading.

(Donna ) #122

Hi, All

I’ve been MIA, sorry. I haven’t been doing any EF’s for the past month. I’ve been doing daily IF’s of 19+, nothing over 25 hours. When I eat, it’s Keto. I guess I’ve been doing OMAD, unintentionally. But, that’s what feels right. I don’t want two meals a day.

I’ve been losing 1 lb a week on average. I was afraid of stalling because I’m now doing OMAD consistently, but it hasn’t happened yet. My last EF was in January.

I went on walks yesterday and today because it felt good and my body craved it. (That’s weird. Hah!)

Here are my stats:

193.8 lbs start weight Oct 2, 2017
158 lbs today

Pounds lost per month:
17.8 lbs October 2017
5.2 lbs November 2017
4.2 lbs December 2017
5.6 lbs January 2018
2.8 lbs February (to date)

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #123

@PugsDigMusic, your a rock star!!! Good to see you back on here.

(Trish) #124

Oh I know that at 48 I will never look as good as I did at 33 when I was power lifting but 140 is realistic. 127 is probably not but I figure nothing ventured , nothing gained…or lost in this case LOL. Plus I’m eager to prove my SO wrong who says I wont make 140, so even less would be a bonus. Ya, maybe not the right reason, but any reason that motivates is a good reason I think. :wink:

(Liz ) #125

Hey gang! Started my second 70 hour fast of the month after dinner last night. Last weekend I went 46, next weekend I’ll do 46 as well.

My weight is bouncing up and down around the 167lb mark where a month or two ago it was doing the same around 170. After these Feb fasts I hope it trends downward & I bounce around 165 for awhile, if that’s how it has to be.

Meanwhile, I just recently bought size 10 (US) jeans (a milestone for me!) but on a whim tried on some 8s & guess what?

(April M Barnhart) #126

I just hit 60 hours of my first extended fast! I decided to have a splash of heavy cream with my coffee this morning as I’ve had no calories up to this point. I really only felt mildly hungry on the first day during my typical lunch time. Water and black coffee caused it to pass, and I haven’t been hungry since. I woke up feeling a little weaker this morning and a little sore from the deep-tissue massage I had yesterday. I am planning to do hot yoga today, so wish me luck!

(Rebecca) #127

Planning to try my first 24 hour fast. Been living hotel life with family this weekend and not eating on my normal schedule. I’ve been 16:8 for the last several weeks and I like it. I’ve stayed keto but thinking a fast would get me back on schedule.

Look at you - super! :grin:

I also do the bouncing around and give myself 5 lb leeway - it’s coming down gradually and that is all that matters. Long-term thinking and goals!

Hi everyone - a newbie question on IF.

I am trying to do IF a few days a week aiming for better focus during work days, and more relaxed eating on the weekends. I really like that schedule-wise. I am not trying to lose weight.

In this case, I know on feasting days I am supposed to “eat back” the nutritions your body needs. My question is, on the macros - does the ratio matter on feasting days, or the actual grams matter? If I were to double my intake on feasting days, do I “double” everything, or do I just double the fat and keep protein and carbs the same in grams?

I don’t know if I am making sense, but say, on my IF or OMAD days, I do
100 grams of fat, 60 grams of protein, 20 grams of carbs
And on my feasting days, I need roughly double that, so should I double everything, which means,
200 grams of fat, 120 grams of protein, 40 grams of carbs
Or should I do something like,
250 grams of fat, 60 grams of protein, 20 grams of carbs

I am a bit confused about feasting. My body seems to like this fasting/feasting circle - maintain well and my energy level has been great. But I am a bit afraid of having too much carb along with fat on feasting days to create any medical issues…

Thoughts? Experiences?

(Liz ) #130

As far as I know you don’t have to double anything any time. Keto is supposed to be ad libitum, to satiety. So if you are far enough along in fat adaptation and your hunger & satiety signals are working, you should keep your carbs at 20 grams or fewer, your protein moderate, 60g sounds good, and use fat as a lever to get to satiety regardless of how many meals a day you eat.

Thanks Liz. Does that mean OMAD/IF don’t usually come with fast/feast cycling? Was it Megan said you should keep it surprising to your body so it never fully adapts to a schedule?

Doubling in my case was an example. I am on the lean side, so I have to keep the intake up. But I cannot do more than 1200 cals in one meal (OMAD) so I usually do two meals like that the next day. I was assuming that some might eat more on non-OMAD days… maybe not double, but 50% more? Like you said, that depends on your satiety signaling. Mine is at about double :confused:

Fat-adapted, I think I am. My body fat isn’t high so my body really wants more on non-OMAD days. I am giving it, just not sure what food to give. For a 2500 cals day, it goes to roughly 250 grams of fat, 60 grams of protein, 20 grams of carbs. And that is a 87/10/3 macro ratio.That sounds terribly “therapeutic”? Having trouble imaging things to eat to fit into that… aside from chugging oil…

But I think I got the key message is that, you still want to keep your carbs and protein low… Or I think I did?

(Liz ) #132

Your macros sound good, but I will always suggest do not eat if you are not hungry.

It was Megan that said mix it up. But that is advice for fat loss. Just to be more helpful if I can, tell me what are your goals with OMAD if you are not trying to lose weight? Edit: I just looked above and you said you want better focus. If you are just trying to achieve ketosis, you can do this without restricting your food timing. Ketosis is achieved with carb reduction alone.

(Dawn) #133

Been doing some IF OMAD for the last three days. Tomorrow is my birthday and I already know that there is some really good food planned and some of it won’t be keto. But that’s ok with me. I am going into my 45th birthday at the lowest weight that I have been for about 14 years. I was in one-derland, but I bounced back up about 7 pounds. Once the birthday is over…I give that three days because between work, family, and extended family, birthday treats will continue to trickle in. After that, I will do a strict water fast for the remainder of Feb and probably into early March. It will be open ended. Fun times. :wink:

(Liz ) #134

Right on, happy upcoming birthday!

(Liz ) #135

At dinner tonight I’ll finish my second 70 hour fast this month. Then it’s back to 46 hour weekly fasts and 18:6 IFing the rest of the days. This fast has been really smooth for me. I really loaded up on fats (and probably overate proteins too) Saturday before starting the fast and I really do think that helped.

The last two fasts I’ve broken very carefully and still had bathroom troubles, it’s upsetting! I haven’t figured out a good solution yet. I have to search the forum, keywords “disaster pants” lol

Good job Liz :clap:t3:

(Shayne) #137

I’m generally a 16:8 every day IFer but I’ve been wanting to do alternate day fasting. I tried a few weeks back, but I think I tried to go too far too fast with 36 hour ADF. The headaches were just awful and no amount of salt and broth was helping. So I backed off again. Today I’m doing a 24 as my first in a series of 24 hour alternate day fasting to “exercise my fasting muscle” as they say. I think I’ll start with M-W-F to start because that will fit in my schedule.

(Liz ) #138

Great idea to work up to it! I haven’t gotten fasting headaches my last bunch of fasts but I used to get one about 50% of the time.

I tried my first fast this week, I’m ashamed to say I only got to hour 43 :frowning_face:
I did have hwc, butter, mct oil and coconut oil, and coffee and tea. I was doing okay and just hit this nausea and insane urge to eat. I am disappointed because I know if I had broken through it likely would have gotten easier.
It was my first extended fast, however, so I’m anxious to try again soon.
Maybe next time I will try just a water fast.

(Liz ) #140

No shame! Only pride, ok? Fasting is not easy!! And we all worked our way into it over lots of months. For nausea & hunger I recommend trying salt directly on the tongue. But always eat if you feel lousy. The great thing about fasting is you can always stop and try again another time. 43 hours is fantastic.