Fat Fasting

A lot of people here do fat fasting, myself included! Sometimes I have black coffee but much of the time during the fast I will include HWC. There are discussions about what it does to autophagy and insulin spiking but I would say, go for it! Some fasting is better than no fasting. If you want to be pure, starting off with HWC and weaning yourself off over time, may get you there. I am not the purist type so I make do!

I did a 7 day fat fast last year. You can read it here: 7 day fast with daily numerical posts & 1 week post fast update

Also you can join us here as we will be using a variety of fasting techniques over the next few months:

(Rosi ) #22

Thank you so much for all this info! I will check out both threads. I have been keto since August of 2016 and have lost 30 pounds but I have been stuck lately and not been able to make progress and I know that is my fault. I have been weak and tasting things that are not keto here and there and knocking myself out of ketosis and feeling like overall crap. I want to get back on track but my mind has not been set on it and I want to be strong. I have just realized after a recent fall off the wagon that I am terribly intolerant of wheat. I had been off of wheat for quite a while and tried to eat pizza on a school trip and I was sick to my stomach for 24 hours with bloating and gas pains. Anyway, I came here again after a long time of not reading posts just looking for ideas and support. Thank you again for the links and I will keep reading and keep ketoing on!

(Arlene) #23

Rosi, I imagine many of us can relate to your struggles. With me, it took years of worsening and worsening symptoms to finally give up my favorite foods. It finally boiled down to not being worth it to eat the stupid food that tasted so good. I felt cheated at first, and for quite some time. I still tell people that if there were no negative consequences I would live on junk food. The reality is that the negative consequences are so negative, even life threatening. I have the privilege to choose foods that support my health or destroy it.
Please donā€™t give up. Donā€™t ever give up!

(Rosi ) #24

Thank you so much for your response! It does make me feel better to know that others have gone through the same thing at one time or another. I did get to fast today. I fasted for a little over 20 hours. My goal was 24 hours but I cooked twice today for my family and the second time I just couldnā€™t wait to eat, so I went ahead and had supper four hours before my scheduled breaking of the fast. I am going to keep trying. 20 hours is totally doable. I want to see how far I can go within reason, of course. I am done eating now and plan to fast again until lunch time tomorrow, which will be about 18 hours. I teach Algebra at my local high school. If I can push through lunch, I may wait til 6pm to eat which will be another 24 hours.

I so appreciate all the words of wisdom and advice and genuine empathy! It means so much to me! Blessings!
Rosi

In order for a diet/WOE to be sustainable for me, it must be flexible. It canā€™t be so restrictive that I become ā€œthatā€ person. Furthermore, I donā€™t want to spend a lot time thinking about food or planning/making meals. Lastly, I want to be in a state of ketosis 100% of the time. I use fasting as a tool to achieve all of these objectives. If I feel like having a loaded baked potato, I do so. If I have a celebration at the Cheesecake Factory, thereā€™s no gnashing of teeth afterwards. Tailgate party, no problem. Fasting quickly gets me back on track.

I find it easier to eat nothing sometimes than the ā€œrightā€ things all the time.