Fat Digestion

(KAREN GUNN) #1

I just read an article that said a high fat meal can take up to 72 hours to digest. Does anyone know if this is a true statement? If it is then in mind it should be easier to do a 72 hour fast, maybe a mind over matter type of thing.

(Lonnie Hedley) #2

I’ve read typical digestion is 24-48 hours. Meaning it takes 24-48 hours to get from mouth to porcelain.

(Dan Dan) #3

According to Mayo Clinic 6 to 8 hours :thinking:

Edit:
Complete Elimination 33 hours for men and 47 hours for women :open_mouth:

(Chris) #4

I guess it depends on the type of fats and what you eat along with it. It’s not just fat in the meal, in the article, because no one studies that. Context is important.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #5

I’ll call BULLSHIT!!! Someone posted on this forum a few days ago that a published study had different foods and digestion times. While fatty beef takes a fair about of time, I think its more like 4-6 hours. Try a search for that.

(Karen) #6

@rustyk61

(KAREN GUNN) #7

I thought that seemed overly long. Here’s where I read it.

(Karen) #8

I seem to have real trouble with meat protein, fatty or not. Butter on steamed greens gone in a wink. Beef is particularly problematic. Thanks for the article.

K
Fyi-i still do 20 g carbs, moderate protein, high fat. Beef is just hard to digest. Sometimes I use HCLwith pepsin

(KAREN GUNN) #9

It makes sense as to why a person is hungry faster when eating carbs then they are when eating fat.

(Alan Williamson) #10

When I did the vegan thing, I was hungry all the time. I would end up eating M&Ms or a Snicker’s bar to feel full. Now if I eat eggs, butter, and steak, I feel full for hours and can easily go a long time without eating.

(KAREN GUNN) #11

Have you tried AVC?

(Karen) #12

Yes, but for beef it’s not enough, at least for me.

Years of gerd. Cutting wheat was the fix for my tummy.

K

(KAREN GUNN) #13

Right and of course the body will put the fats aside and burn the carbs first!

(Becky Searls) #14

For any food? Or for a high-fat meal?

(Lonnie Hedley) #15

I was wondering how many people were eating and then pooping in 6-8 hours. That sounds similar to the 24-48 hour average I had read.

(KAREN GUNN) #16

I was speaking specifically about a high fat meal. I just found the article interest in and was wondering if it seemed valid that fat could take as long as 72 hrs to digest.

(Lonnie Hedley) #17

Glancing at the article you posted, it says cheeseburger with French fries. So high fat, high carb. That’s different than high fat keto.

(Dan Dan) #18

its an average :thinking:

(KAREN GUNN) #19

@hedleylo Lol, not me. I’m typically an every morning type of gal! That being said I wonder if what I am pooping is from the day before or three days before.

(Lonnie Hedley) #20

Yeah, I go every day (almost) too. But from mouth to porcelain like I said, that’s typically 24-48 hours. I (think) I read recently you can get a tracker you can swallow then “watch” it move through your system so you know a more accurate time.