Digestibility of meats

(Karen) #1

Table Of Comparative Digestibility

(Commencing with the Most Digestible, and ending with the Least Digestible of Meats and Other Common Animal Foods’)

Oysters.

Soft-cooked eggs. Sweetbread.

White fish, boiled or broiled, such as bluefish, shad, red snapper, weakfish, smelt. Chicken, boiled or broiled. Lean roast beef or beefsteak. Eggs, scrambled, omelette. Mutton, roasted or boiled. Squab, partridge. Bacon (crisp).

Roast fowl, chicken, capon, turkey. Tripe, brains, liver.

Roast lamb.

Chops, mutton or lamb.

Corned beef.

Veal.

Ham.

Duck, snipe, venison, rabbit, and other game.

Salmon, mackerel, herring.

Roast goose.

Lobsters and crabs.

Pork.

Smoked, dried, or pickled fish and meats in general.

The table given below is published by E. Jessen as the result of giving test meals of single articles of food. The stomach was first cleansed and emptied by siphonage, then a hundred grains of meat were introduced with eight ounces of water. Samples of the digested stomach contents were from time to time withdrawn, and the complete disappearance of all muscular fibre when examined by the microscope occurred as follows:

Beef, raw, chopped fine… 2 hours.

Beef, half cooked… 2½ "

Beef, well cooked… 3 "

Beef, thoroughly roasted… 4 "

Mutton, raw… 2 "

Veal, cooked… 2½ "

Pork, cooked… 3 "

I found this interesting as I am sometimes uncomfortable with beef.

K

Fat Digestion
(Chris) #2

Did they siphon off the stomach acid as well? I’m not sure how far this study goes but it’s been shown that beef is dissolved in hydrochloric acid within about an hour before transferring, liquefied, into the small intestine. Very little is wasted usually so I’m not sure what that means for transit time to the end of the line.

Very interesting writeup, thanks for taking the time.

(CharleyD) #3

I’m sure the forks (are better than) knives folks would call this fake news. If we digest beef that quickly it certainly sounds like our gut is rather happy eating meat.

I’ll keep my bloody ribeye and they can keep malnourishing themselves on sugar and cellulose.