Fasting info

(D) #1

Hey so I started fasting which involved only consuming about 200-300 calories from broth which I made myself. After almost 48hrs I started getting a little light headed and was getting a lot of muscle twitches so I ended the fast. The next day I went back to a normal eating schedule and consumed some no sugar electrolytes through a supplement. It’s been about 2 days now and I’m still feeling a lot of the muscle twitches (arms, forearms, calves and quads). Don’t know if this is normal or if anyone has experienced this and for how long?

Thanks!

(ben) #2

What did you do BEFORE your fast? Are you fat adapted? Have you loaded up on vitamins and minerals? What were those 200-300 calories you were consuming? Have you prior experience with intermittent fasting? Any medical complications (diabetes?)

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #3

Are you supplementing? It’s important to avoid keto flu, cramps, etc

Brenda’s recipe may help

I use my own

(D) #4

I just kinda jumped right into it. Never done it before and no diabetes or anything. The 200-300 calories was from a broth I made from onion, carrots, celery, parsley. Would have about half a cup of white rice a day as well.

Stopped the fast 2 days ago now but still getting the twitching in both legs.

I started taking a scoop of Vega sport electrolytes yesterday and today as well.

(Kirk Wolak) #5

Look up the Snake Juice formula, and drink 1-2 Liters of that.
It works wonders!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

The symptoms you are describing sound as though your salt intake is not high enough. Proper salt intake helps to regulate potassium, magnesium, and calcium, because the regulatory mechanisms are all interlinked.

Aim for 10-15 grams/day of table salt (sodium chloride), including the salt already present in your food. One of the interesting aspects of a ketogenic diet is that the restriction on carbohydrate lessens water retention, and the lower insulin levels consequent on not overloading the system with glucose allows the kidneys to return to their normal, faster rate of excreting sodium.

Most people who keep their sodium intake in the proper range find that they need no additional mineral supplements.

Definitely not normal but your symptoms sounds electrolyte problems. It seems you need to supplement them even for such a short fast, many people are like this, that is normal.
Be careful next time and consume your electrolytes! Our need vary but if you go with the usual advice, that should be a good starting point and you will see.

Real fasting has no calories, I only did those (tiny ones, I almost never go beyond 48 hours and that’s rare too), consuming other things especially carbs surely is something quite different for the body.

That’s electrolytes man, most supplements don’t have even remotely enough to make a dent in your levels during normal days, let alone going on a fast when not fat adapted. Mortons lite salt, and some Magnesium Glycinate or Malate. The common ones (and the worst absorbed) are Oxide and Citrate try to stay clear of those.

(D) #9

Yeah just been a little stressing. Probably isn’t helping in itself. Going to try and do that snake juice formula but hard to get supplies during covid lockdown. My electrolyte supplement shows 100mg sodium, 400mg potassium, 1 gram carbs, 8% phosphorus, 40% magnesium, 10% zinc, 4% chloride per scoop which is 4.2 grams.

Is that not enough?

For sodium not even close, Potassium is actually pretty good. Many shoot for the 4g+ area when it comes to Sodium, makes a LOT of difference for people.