Fasting and the Fifty Percent Insulin Problem

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #1

Dr Fung would approve. :heart_eyes:

Another Carnivore Thread
Can you be Keto and get really fat?
(Jakub Be) #2

Why is no one commenting on this

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

Good question! I also wonder why not. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Deborah) #4

I Love Butter Bob!

(Susan) #5

I watched it, and I was thinking, yes, for sure, this is correct. I think that most of us do the IF and Fasting =). I just finished a 91 hour Fast yesterday and I am doing the IDM protocol for Fasting right now.

This is it:

IF%20Schedule%20-%20Copy

I am doing what he is saying is great, so that is awesome =). There, commented! hehe.

(Jakub Be) #6

Wouldnā€™t this elevate cortisol significantly? Iā€™m on the 7th fasting day of this programme

(Bunny) #7

Was looking at the Wikipedia entry on cortisol and glucose, it does not say anything or even hint at anything in the way of a fasting state.

So it is probably the natural frequency or circadian rhythm of cortisol meaning it functions like this continuously all the time; fasting or not?

ā€ā€¦Glucose

Cortisol counteracts insulin, contributes to hyperosamemia by stimulating gluconeogenesis[15] and inhibits the peripheral use of glucose (insulin resistance)[15] by decreasing the translocation of glucose transporters (especially GLUT4) to the cell membrane.[16] Cortisol also increases glycogen synthesis (glycogenesis) in the liver, storing glucose in easily accessible form.[17] The permissive effect of cortisol on insulin action in liver glycogenesis is observed in hepatocyte culture in the laboratory, although the mechanism for this is unknown. ā€¦ā€ ā€¦More

Looking at that I could see why (dietary glucose), when we eat to often, it disturbs this process?

Why this works?

IF%20Schedule%20-%20Copy

(Kristen Ann) #8

Good share. I havenā€™t been fasting at all lately but have convinced my dad (now 3 months into keto) to start fasting. This has inspired me to get back into it too. I learned a lot from reading the Butter Bob blog about this, so thanks for the share.

(PJ) #9

That was a good lecture. Really great point about the higher insulin levels of fat people, and the more fat the moreso. Fasting may be the only way to gradually work against that for many people.

(Bob M) #10

Itā€™s a video. I hate posting videos (or podcasts, for that matter). Unfortunately, sometimes thatā€™s the only medium itā€™s in.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #11

YouTube has a transcription option. But maybe many donā€™t know about it or how to trigger it. I know for a lot of really technical videos I like to have a transcript to read at my pace.

(Bob M) #12

Iā€™m not so sure. For instance, my fasting insulin is all over the place. Typically, below 10, but was much lower years ago for some tests. Meanwhile, Iā€™ve lost weight. I think the fasting insulin can be influenced too much by what you ate the night before, and not necessarily by an actual level.

Also, based on Fire in a Bottle, I think high saturated fat might help preferentially remove fat from the belly. And thatā€™s independent of insulin levels.

My thoughts have changed over the years.

(Bob M) #13

I did not know about the transcription option.