Fast/Feast cycling

fasting
n1
stall

(Dustin Cade) #281

No doubt- when i’m fasting I am thinking about what I’ll eat to break the fast, once i’m feasting I am thinking about when I’ll start my next fast…

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #282

I agree that I feel better when fasting. My problem is that I like eating all that good food that we can have so I make excuses to end the fast earlier than I planned!

(Dustin Cade) #283

I love food!

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #284

I love food until I’m either tired of eating or feeling guilty for eating. I don’t want fasting to be a punishment or a way to exonerate my feelings of guilt. And I also don’t want to be all greedy or eat emotionally. Physically, I feel good both ways, which I think is why making the modifications to my feast/fast schedule is working for me (really I just cleaned it up and I’ve greatly reduced the use of fat during the fasting portion). Mentally, it’s also pretty even at this point. I also tweaked my macros a bit, I don’t know if that plays a part or not. I can’t remember if I said it here or elsewhere, but following this feast/fast cycling is helping me to be more cognizant of my feelings, thoughts, and patterns regarding not only why I eat, but also why I don’t eat.

(Dustin Cade) #285

I made some pepperoni pizza bites for tomorrow at work when I break my 2nd 72hr fast… Got some bacon too… It’s silly how easy fasting is… I still do the majority of the cooking for the family… No temptations though when I was pulling the pizza bites it if the muffin tins I almost licked my fingers… I caught myself…

(Adam L) #286

Thanks to Brenda I’m going to give this another go. Helpful for me not to compare myself to anyone that can feast after a fast & not gain weight, for those that can - more power to you, keep defying the laws of nature!!
For me it has to be feast/fast/eat;
Feast then
Fast then
Eat repeat

Hope this helps anyone else that lost sight of this as I did - can’t believe I had got so down on myself for gaining weight after being a glutton!

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #287

@Adam it’s very important to have a clear mental understanding of what ‘feasting’ actually is. I think that many (if not most) have this premise that feasting means eat all the food. LOL But that isn’t at the heart of the feast/fast - simply put, it’s eat/don’t eat. For me, I will have days, where I’m upping my calories quite a bit, but really most of my eating days are what you’re calling ‘eating’. This is really a learning experience for me and I’m sure many others, so please know you’re not alone. Over the past weeks, I’m seeing more physical changes that weight changes (at least according to the scale I don’t trust LOL). But I’m still learning and growing. While discipline is a must, I don’t want to be rigid, I have a tendency to be rigid. I’m learning to be flexible with my eating window and fasting times. ~stopping before a ramble starts at 5:30am. Hahahaha!

I’m glad you’re back. :slight_smile:

(Adam L) #288

Thanks Charmaine I appreciate that, you are spot on there it sure is a learning experience, I had taken “feast” far too literally LOL felt a surge in appetite that wasn’t there for months, ate too much & went down the track of some poor food choices. I track blood sugar & blood ketones regularly & have been out of ketosis for a few weeks after being in it Dec 16 to early Apr 17. I felt very ordinary, literally felt my mental functioning was impaired, anxious/depressed, in a bit of a hole. To top it off the (long term) OMAD woe that had served me quite well was getting a bad rap (I get it) to which the solution was feast/fast - which is what led me off course, because I didn’t understand or do it properly!!!

Finally just decided to KCKO, get stuck into meatloaf, homemade mayo & bacon + eggs, got back to OMAD, started to feel much better. Just did a 52 hour fast which got ketones up & sugar down to nice levels. I’ll eat then feast just a little bit before my next fast, thinking a larger than usual meal or two prior to some regular 36-48 hour fasts with a 3-4 day fast monthly. Wiser for the experience, ready to do it better this time.

(brenn holiday) #289

Ghee would be a good alternative to HWC for BPC …less lactose and casein than cream.

(brenn holiday) #290

I would think you are never to thin to fast (within reason of course)…as long as you are doing a “Fat Fast” to supply the fuel you are not getting from your own body fat.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #291

@Adam I think the OMAD issue (and I know this is what it was for me) is that more than likely it ends up mimicking calorie restriction at some point if a person is still working on losing weight. After listening to the podcasts that most of us have listened to (lol), I reexamined my eating, estimated caloric intake, and my level of activity - I wasn’t eating enough to the point that it made a difference when I was fasting. It’s now that I’m starting to see the difference.

This week, I tried dividing what could’ve been my one meal into two and made a few tweaks on a couple of days; at other times, I did have OMAD; and a few evenings I had something fatty. All for the sake of switching it up so that my body will respond properly to fasting.

KCKO - that’s what we do; and we persevere no matter how many times we fall short.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #292

@Adam I agree with @Charmaine-OLD that the feasting, or eating, part of the cycle needs to be full calories so your body does not lower your metabolism. Your body needs to know there is ample nutrition coming in for that day or those days. This way when you feast you rev up your metabolism to digest all of that food so that you go into your fasting days super-charged and really burning fat to supply your body with what it needs.

I still do coffee with HWC on both feasting and fasting days but I limit it to 2 cups (<500 kCals) on fasting days and do not limit it on feasting as each cup (with 1/4 cup of HWC) is about 200 kCals. I do make very mindful choices of what I eat as I have found my body works much better when I consume 80% of calories from fat. That means I rarely eat carbs directly and leave the leanest parts of the meat behind.

Fat rules in my diet!

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #293

@ron-coleman the same goes for me, I do better with 80% + in calories from fat.

(James) #294

I’m a little late to hearing about this but I’m very interested. I’ve been doing some feasting over the past 2 days and will fast Tuesday - Thursday. I find it easier to fast during the work week.

I was really surprised at how hard it was for me to try getting in some extra calories from fat today. Normally I’m around 2K a day and I only got to 2600 today and I’m glad my IF window has closed for today. I have no doubts about fat being satiating now.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #295

I’ll be eating a meal tomorrow and then a 3-4 days fast will begin. I’ve feasted well this weekend. However, I’ve done better with my IF overall for the past few days and even snuck in a 25 hour fast. Yet, I’m really looking forward to not eating and getting back on track. I’ve eaten some crappy stuff. LOL

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #296

Ending my 3 day fast this evening! It was touch and go yesterday LOL. But yay! - here we are in Day 3!

(Siobhan) #297

Man I haven’t checked this beast of a thread in a while… mostly because I hadn’t been in a fasting mood at all.
I did a 7-8 day egg fast (egg, 4oz cheese, and fat every day) and lost 5.8lbs and some inches too.
After a week of that (eating 1600-1900 calories per day) I was starting to get nauseated at the thought of food, and now it is time to fast. :slight_smile:
I think I had my protein too high and it was messing me up, and since the egg fast lowered it as a consequence I’m ready to EF again
I’ll consider that a feast and a fast!

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #298

@siobhan I’d totally consider it a feast!

My IF has been at 24 hours and then have a really hearty meal many days, but as a minimum, I’ve been doing 15/9 depending on when I stop eating during the day. I can’t say anything about weight loss - no scale, and I’m loving it!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #299

Did a 5-day water-only fast this week. Feasting since Saturday, and haven’t gained back much, and ketones still high.

Still a fan of fast/feast. Especially when the feast includes scrambled eggs with pulled pork. Yum!

(Mike W.) #300

I apologize for not reading this whole thread but for the past week I’ve been following an alternate day fast. I’ve been stretching my fast to about 36 hours between meals. I’ve had GREAT results. I got inspired by @jfricke. Below are my numbers.