Fast/Feast cycling

fasting
n1
stall

(Dustin Cade) #261

26 hours into my first 72 hour fast and we’ve stopped at Big Boy for the family to eat, we’re on a day trip to see a concert… I’m just having some iced tea… The young one is giving me a hard time because I’m not eating and “OMG it’s Big Boy!”

(Joel Carpenter) #262

So, our n=2 experiment with this. My fiancé and I fasted for three days then against our normal post-fast feed - which was always calorie restricted - we went big. We broke fast and got all our fat and protein in with almonds, cheese and salami. Then had cheesy scrambled eggs with bacon and salami for breakfast - and burgers with a ridiculous amount of cheese and avocado for dinner. We’ve both hovered around the same weight as we were at the end of the fast. Small gain for me but only a few hundred grams. Jamie actually fell a hundred or so after feasting - so she was pretty happy. We’re going to try and feast again today and then fast for another three days at the start of the week. I say “try” and feast. We both struggled hard with the high food intake. We were stuffed all day - couldn’t do anything but lie on the couch and watch movies all day :smiley::+1: eating that much food is really hard and made us bloated and lethargic. The results do seem to marry up with what everyone has also found. No weight gain. Looking forward to seeing how the next fast impacts us too. Ketones on a blood test have skyrocketed as well. Interesting experiment.

(Dustin Cade) #263

I’m about 6 hours till I break this my first 72 hour fast… this has been way easier than I could have imagined. I’ve done a lot of traveling over the last 2 days and fasting has made it a lot less stressful for me… just brought my coffee and some waters…

(Arlene) #264

I have been really sick for the last week, so my appetite has been almost nil. I ended up fasting for several days; eating when I was hungry, then fasting till hungry again.
I would have felt very uncomfortable doing this if not for all the wonderful work of Dr. Fung. In the past, I would have feared that I was harming my health by fasting.
These days, knowing that fasting is actually health-building, I am free to fast whenever I want, without fear. It’s just another piece of the “bad advice” puzzle that has been unraveled for me, and I’m grateful.

(Dustin Cade) #265

I’m like 70 hours into my first 72 hour fast, I feel amazing… I wonder if I should push this fast longer or if I should break it around the 72 hour mark… being my first 72 hour fast, my previous was 48 hours… should one push it in the beginning or ease into it?

(Jennifer) #266

In February I did my first 24 hour fast, the longest EVER without food. The next week I did a 7 day. If it feels right, I would go as long as you can. Good luck!

(Kathy L) #267

My thoughts exactly!

(Jim Russell) #268

I got bored with feasting. Hard to believe. I had planned to feast for one more day, but found myself almost forcing myself to eat last night. I had forgotten how much keto kills the appetite. I decided to start a fast last night, planning on going 4 days. Work buys us dinner on Thursday nights so I will start my feast then. I dropped a few more pounds during the feast and I’m down about 17 pounds over the last 3 weeks of feast/fast cycles. Woohoo!

(Dustin Cade) #269

just finished my first 72 hour fast… let the feasting begin!

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #270

Starting a fast, ending undetermined.

Ended my second fast/ feast cycle, 7 days fasting this time. Felt like garbage at work today, so the feast was calling me. Broke with a few macadamias and a few bites of salted avocado, then this…deconstructed bacon CB, yum! Could even finish it, so there’s breakfast for tomorrow. Have lost 9 pounds in these last 2 cycles, very close to goal. Love this F/F concept!

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #272

Reluctantly, I weighed yesterday and today (I don’t trust my scale, but used it anyway), it amazes me that from yesterday to this morning I was down (according to the scale I don’t trust LMBO) 3.2lbs.

Right now, I’m enjoying cold brewed coffee with cinnamon and stevia. I left my electrolyte powder at home, but that’s cool because I didn’t workout this morning and I’m still in the first 24hrs. Not hungry but my tummy has just started getting noisy. LOL

Since starting back to fasting after my 21 day experience, I’m really focusing more on keeping my fasts as close to zero calorie as possible. I know that if I workout, I’ll need to supplement if doing more than steady state cardio. I’m good with that. This will definitely force me to change up my workouts should I decide to do longer fasts of more than 3 days. I had been quite reluctant to do so. I felt like I had to choose between the benefits of fasting and strength gains/the joy of working out. But, I think I’m coming to understand that I don’t have to compromise - I just need to plan better. Like if I do an extended fast of 5-7 days, that’s a deload week, everything is über light and/or MAF training related (maybe evens day of low intensity interval training). This of course is still beneficial. So I shouldn’t fight doing this.

Well, this was a bit more sharing than I had anticipated, but I think I needed to share.

(Barbara Greenwood) #273

Seems to me that fasting/feasting is the ultimate weight maintenance strategy. Fast as often and as long as you need to stay under whatever weight ceiling you choose. Feast, if you want to, whenever you’re below it.

(KCKO, KCFO) #274

Finished up what was going to be a 3 day fast, it went a tad over, so an 81 hr. fast. I had avocado, steak and eggs for breakfast.

I had my body flex class a few hrs. later, oddly, it kicked my butt today, it didn’t when I went to it fasted last week.

As I understand it, the feasting should be high fat/mod protein as little carbs as possible and eat at near maintenance level, so I ended the this first feast day with 4% carbs, 72% fats, and 24% protein. Calories were right at maintenance.
If this is a bad assumption, please let me know.

My weight only went down .4 lb this time, last time it was a lot bigger loss, as long as the feasting keeps what I have lost off, I’m ok with that small amount. I am less than 2 lbs from my current goal weight, I didn’t expect to be as successful as I have been these last couple of weeks, doing 1-3 day fasting inbetween eating at normal levels. I plan to do another 3/4 day fast starting Sunday.

(Jennifer) #275

This evening I’m on day 3 of a fast and I am beginning to think that I am not creating enough glucose from fat any longer. The hunger that hit this afternoon was way different from normal pangs. It felt as though a had a black hole in my gut sucking my innards in. It actually hurt. So I ate some fat - I just had 3-4 olives and a babybel. The pain is gone and I feel better. And I had a couple spoons of coconut oil earlier today as well.

@Richards calculator says I should be burning fat for another 15-20 pounds, I guess I am burning a bit more calories or my LBM is a bit higher than I thought. I’ll keep going and see if I get the same feeling tomorrow.

(Jim Russell) #276

I had a couple of incidents of dizzyness over the last couple of days, so I decided to end my fast at 70 hours. I do Bikram Yoga, which is 90 minutes in a 105 degree room. I generally lose 6 pounds or so of sweat during a class, then as I drink and replenish my electrolytes, most of that comes back on.

I did 7 days in a row of yoga with the last 3 being fasted and no matter how much water and electrolytes I drank, I was dizzy during class.

I’m going to have to do some research on optimal rehydration. Or just not do so much sweaty yoga. :slight_smile:

Other than the dizzyness, I was also getting ravenously hungry. Probably a result of cutting my previous feast short and too much exercise.

To break the fast I had some pork roast and whipped up a cream sauce for it. Let the feasting begin.

(James storie) #277

Just ended my fasting cycle of 86 hours (shooting for 72, but decided to sleep on it) with a can of king Oscar sardines! Followed a few hours later with egg salad made with 6 eggs, an unknown but plentiful amount of homemade mayo, and tajin (a mexican spice). Of corse I consumed this with my favorite utinsil, the pork rind! I’m stuffed!

(Dustin Cade) #278

it’s strange, I seem to feel better when i’m fasting… I’m fasting now, though I’m having a very large fatty bpc, loads of butter and coconut oil, I am figuring i’ll be finished with it by 2pm, I’ll consider when I finished this bpc the start of my next 72 hour fast… I’ll probably have some Olives before 2pm as well…

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #279

This week, I did more of an IF schedule that shifted daily between long and short. Even though I ate daily, on the longer IF days, the fasting period would be about 24+ hours. So far so good.

(James storie) #280

It’s not strange, I feel the same way! When I ate earlier today I had the thought, I feel better when I don’t eat! It’s always lie this the first couple of days after a fast. I’m looking forward to my next round! It’s hilarious that I could even have these feelings considering the way I grew up!