Extended fasting = Diarrhea

(N) #45

Not a doctor, but with a bit of research on the subject found this is probably a very MINOR case of refeeding syndrome which typically occurs after extended periods of fasting / starvation (7+ days). Since this your fast is a smaller scale, I’m guessing it’s minor with less severe side effects (i.e. diarrhea). You can read up on it on PubMed: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/?term=Refeeding+syndrome

From what I gathered, the best solution is to ensure sufficient electrolytes are taken during and after fast (I recommend SaltStick tablets), proper vitamins are taken (specifically Vitamin B), and slow refeeding, 50% of daily intake w/ easily digestible foods.

It could also just be your body and is fairly common among fasting practitioners. It will pass, just stay close to the bathroom.

(Sam Halperin) #46

Its 100% the magnesium.

(James H Shaffer) #47

I do a 48 and 72 hour fasts pretty much every week, two hours after breaking the fast I make a “splash down” at the porcelain throne…small price to pay for the excellent results :slight_smile:

Just had this experience today, drank a cup of salt water and then a cup of mg for good measure. Didn’t really think too much on the wisdom of this until a few hours later I was running for the bathroom. 10,000 steps to the bathroom later I’m glad I didn’t go furniture shopping today like I had planned. Lesson learned: measure and maybe don’t double up on things. Lol I have been trying to lose water weight gained after being glutened earlier this week… I may just make my 3 pound goal by Tuesday at this rate.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #49

Too much salt can cause diarrhea?

(icky) #50

Hey there,

I haven’t read through the whole thread, so apologies if I’m adding something that’s already been said.

I came to Keto from a 10 year background in EF.

The only golden rule we had on the (non-English) EF forum I was on is that you use a mild fasting laxative to totally clear out your gut before going on an EF.

For IF, ADF, OMAD this is not necessary.

But for EF, you clear out your gut COMPLETELY before you start (i.e. have a 2nd lot of fasting laxative if the first lot didn’t quite do the job) and then weekly during the EF, depending on how many weeks you are doing.

So if you follow that protocol, there shouldn’t be ANY stool left to turn into diarrhea?

I mentioned the fasting laxative and reasoning in this thread yesterday:

I think the fasting laxative I use is basically that stuff Brenda uses in her Ketoaide?

(CharleyD) #51

Too much salt in water can cause a salt flush.

(Raj Seth) #52

Old style Shankhaprakshalan by Yoga dudes 0.9% saline full purge of the entire GI tract
Done it. Feels good. Better be near the bowl😀

(CharleyD) #53

That is the truth.

kind of a sad reality you have to go to these measures. why not just NOT fast?

(Chris) #55

Sorry you feel that way, sweetie.

(Jack Brien) #56

I think this is what happened to me this morning, unintentionally.

(Jack Brien) #57

When I have had the squits while fasting it’s not so much stool as water

(Chris) #58

So we’re clear, I always have a 3 day bag in my car- I shit myself one time, very minimally- that is what this advice is based on. I think you’d be a moron to not have a packed bag in your car if you travel as much as I do, as well as a number of other “survival tools”.

(Jack Brien) #59

I can’t help but think that threads like this might be putting people off keto/fasting

(Shayne) #60

I get those and migraines that are alleviated only with magnesium. If I still have breakthrough cramps, I massage the muscle with some magnesium oil (you can make it yourself, it’s just magnesium chloride flakes in water).

(Shayne) #61

In one of Jimmy Moore’s podcasts - I don’t know which one or which episode, but I know I was listening to it in November (during my first EF), he or one of his guests/cohosts said that it’s common for the diarrhea to hit right around the 72 hour mark. And it was fortuitous that I had heard that on my third day because that is EXACTLY when it hit for me. I had to leave the house because we had tickets to a play, so I took two imodium and headed out.

(Candy Lind) #62

Me, too! I’m going to try the Mag Oil next time it happens. Thanks for that, @smsherbert!

(James H Shaffer) #63

have an observation, when I have been stalled for over a month I had not diarrhea, the week I start losing again and viola, Diarrhea is back, for results I can live with this. they are only for a couple trips to the thrown so can’t complain if this is as bad as it gets :slight_smile:

(Clark Potter) #64

Your culprit is the Sodium and/or Magnesium you’re consuming. Eliminate these as they’re unnecessary for a week or more (fasting experts insist you’re fine for upwards of a whole month but I find that I can relieve most of the fasting fatigue with one dose of Na/K/Mg per week) unless you’re running or doing hot yoga or something while fasting. Any salt your body can’t absorb will be redirected thru your intestines with a lot of the water you’re drinking, hence the diarrhea.

I’ve done many 10-day water fasts and one 21-day water fast. Only supplement with Na/K/Mg if you’re feeling super especially weak, get cramps or serious muscle spasms, or experience minor heart palpitations.

If you insist on supplementing with those then just dial them back until the diarrhea stops. Oh, and add Potassium too. There’s no reason to take only Sodium and Magnesium but leave out Potassium.