Energy Drops

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16
  • If you have high blood pressure, be careful. There is a serious risk of getting too much.

• If you have normal high blood pressure, your risk of developing cardiovascular problems does increase with the level of salt intake, but it’s a slow rise.

• Whether you have normal or high blood pressure, too little salt can quickly become harmful.

This is all according to the PURE study out of McMaster University. Andrew Mente’s presentation about it to Low Carb Breckenridge 2018 was uploaded onto YouTube recently, and there is a link to the video in the LC Breck 2018 thread. He displays all the graphs, plus comparisons with the results of other recent studies.

ETA: My guess is that on LCHF/keto, the risk of too much salt is lower, simply because we are excreting sodium at a higher rate. I doubt very much that any significant percentage of PURE participants were low-carb at all.

(less is more, more or less) #17

<mouth agape> It makes sense now that you write it, that non-salt gets in salt. That doesn’t mean I have to like it.

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep46173

The presence of microplastics in commercial salts from different countries

Conclusions

The results of this study did not show a significant load of MPs larger than 149 μm in salts originating from 8 different countries and, therefore, negligible health risks associated with the consumption of salts.

(Lindsey) #18

I’m not surprised by microplastic, even though it’s alarming, but glass is on a whole other level.

My salt is pre-ground, but I did have a weird bit in it a couple of weeks ago that was plasticky. :unamused:

(Lindsey) #19

Do most of you take supplements? Or just rely on salt?

(Lindsey) #20

Are you in the UK? I found Zipfizz on Amazon but it was really expensive. I used to like Berocca but have stopped using it since going keto because it contains glucose. :frowning:

(LeeAnn Brooks) #21

Nope, I’m here in the states.

If you are a member, see if it’s avaialable to you on Costco.com. We have it the cheapest I’ve been able to find.

If not, someone recommended High5 zero, which I believe is more available outside the states.

(Chris W) #22

I mostly only do salt, but I intentionally eat certain veggies and a few meats high in potassium and magnesium. Don’t just add supplements I think that can get people into more trouble, just add up what you are eating in those two first. I run around 1 to 2 teaspoons of salt a day, 1 in water the other 1 or so in added salt in food. If you maintain a good level of salt you really will not have to many issues with the others if your kidneys are functional. Its pretty hard to get too much salt, your body will take care of that but not having enough is more of a problem. The longer you progress the more you will really need salt and the less it will taste bad, for me it is almost a sweet flavor now in water. Glass can be in salt, its a item found in nature, most all salt comes from oceans new or old.

(Erin Wilson) #23

It took me about 3-4 months of strict keto to finally get the energy boost.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #24

I love salt, eat nuts, spinach and avocados, and soak in Epsom salts. Don’t want to take a potassium supplement. Potassium is best left up to a doctor’s supervision.

(Lindsey) #25

I’m doing Keto mostly veggie, so a lot of the veggies it says to eat for various vitamins and minerals I eat naturally (broccoli, spinach, avocado etc).
Since posting I’ve been making a concerted effort to add more salt to my diet - I’ve been licking brazil nuts and dipping them in a bag of Himalayan salt, which actually tastes fairly good.
I’ve only had one really bouncy, feeling good day and have been feeling increasingly tired since then - I bought some electrolyte powder last night so I’ll try adding that and see if that helps.
Is 3-4 months a normal amount of time or is it usually sooner?

(Lindsey) #26

Hi guys, I have a quick question related to my earlier one (didn’t want to start yet another new thread!). You all recommended adding electrolytes, so I bought some electrolyte powder, planning to drink it through the day… but it tastes vile. I tried putting sugar free squash in the water to hide the taste, but still gross, it’s so bad it makes me heave so I can’t just down it. My question is should the powder be fine to add to food? Or will the heat from cooking mess it up/make it less effective? This is the one I bought, doesn’t seem to have any nasties hidden in it:
https://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/electrolyte-powder.html

(LeeAnn Brooks) #27

I haven’t tried any powders, but if you’re concerned about heat, try mixing with yogurt or something similar.

The problem with mixing with food is that you will need to replenish electrolytes throughout the day and you want to limit food times, so the two don’t coincide well.

I’d be looking for a better way to get your electrolytes.

Try this:

(Lindsey) #28

Thanks LeeAnn. Only problem is that looks like it would taste equally as awful. :frowning:

(LeeAnn Brooks) #29

It barely has a taste at all. Just a hint of fruit from the magnesium and a slight salty taste. And you can mask that easily with a squirt of your favorite Mio or crystal light if you’re okay with artificial sweeteners.

And it’s really cheep to make.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #30

@TheWelshWalker Remember that foods contain a lot of sodium, magnesium, and potassium, so you don’t have to get all you need from the supplements alone. Magnesium is the central atom of the chlorophyll molecule, so leafy green vegetables are a good source. Some also contain potassium and calcium. There is salt in most meats, not to mention bacon. A lot of minerals and vitamins are more bio-available in food than they are in supplements, anyway.

potassium in the avocado

(Bunny) #32

Speaking of plastic: Margarine and I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter! Is seemingly ‘one molecule away from being plastic’ ‘does not deteriorate if left out in the open, insects won’t even touch it…’

Hmmm?

Lol

Dietitian Caryn Zinn explains:

“When we examine the chemical structures of both materials, it is easy to see why someone would suggest this; margarine has a similar chemical backbone structure to plastic.

However, the same could be said about butter, or any fatty acid present in the human body. Many varied substances share similar chemical properties, but even the slightest variation in molecular structure can make a world of difference.”

(less is more, more or less) #33

The great “mea culpa” of the margarine industry is this old ad. I just didn’t know it was an apology:

Maybe it’s not just like butter after all, in many ways.

(Bunny) #34

Yup, that’s her!

(Irene ) #35

So when I started this keto lifestyle I ran into what I call “kito bumps” in the road…you know, constipation, leg cramps, etc …I learned quickly that the problem was lack of salt! I measured out 2 teaspoons and used that for a day…swelled up like crazy so I cut back to 1 teaspoon of sea salt. I add half of that to my 24oz thermo flask with 1 squirt of lemon flavor IMO just to soften the saltiness (BTW one squirt of IMO does not spike my blood sugars) I then drink water the rest of the day and use the left over salt in my cooking . if I find I still have salt in my dish, I make another ketoaid (my hack version) at the end of the day. It a combination of salty/sweet which takes care of that craving of mine too! My cramping is gone, and no more constipation! …just know that if you drink salt in the evening you will have to get up in the middle of the night to go pee!