Energy Drops

(Lindsey) #1

Hi all,

I’ve been on keto for a month, not finding it too difficult, though I haven’t had a chance to weigh in just over a week I lost 7lb in my first two weeks and the keto strips are still turning the right colour (I know they aren’t wholly reliable).

I’m still waiting for the promised energy boost though - how long does that usually take? I often lag a bit towards the end of the day, but this afternoon I’ve had a huge energy slump, I feel like I could fall asleep at my desk any second. I don’t eat a lot in the day because it makes me feel bloated and sluggish, would you recommend having something fat heavy on hand to eat if I do get a slump? I’m not hungry, just exhausted. Slept fine last night so I don’t think that’s the reason.

Ta.

add lots and lots of salt,

(Tammy Kidd) #4

Electrolytes are probably low.

(Lindsey) #5

I use a lot of pink Himalayan salt in my cooking… I don’t think I could drink salt water like some people suggest - I think it’d come right back up!

do not think you can get enough in your cooking

(Duncan Kerridge) #7

Just grind some into your hand and lick it off

(LeeAnn Brooks) #8

I keep pink Himalayan rock salt at my desk and suck on crystals throughout the day. Drink lots of water and if you’re not getting enough magnesium from your diet, try some magnesium citrate. You can also supplement potassium too, but BE CAREFULL. Over dosing on potassium is very dangerous, so do not go over recommended amounts.

I like ZipFizz for my electrolytes and extra energy.

(Lindsey) #9

I just ate a load of salt - how do you know if it’s too much? Is it dangerous to eat too much?

one more medical mystery, there is no data I know of saying salt causes harm, I use salt till stuff taste to salty

(LeeAnn Brooks) #11

It would be very difficult to get too much salt in Keto as your kidneys are continually flushing it out.

(Consensus is Politics) #12

I would grab a few out of my grinders refill container and just suck on them until they melted away. After a while I was so used to it, I could barely taste the salt.

Then one day…

“One of these things is not like the other… one of these things just doesn’t belong…”

(Lindsey) #13

OMG, is that glass?!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #14

Someone else mentioned they found plastic in theirs.
I’ve occassionaly noticed what appears to be a mineral substance in looks and texture, but it completely lacks the salt flavor, so I know it’s not the rock salt.
I wonder how difficult it is to get all foreign particles out of there. After all, it is a mineral itself, and I would imagine it’s hard to make sure every bit they mine is salt and not other minerals/rocks.

All the more reason to suck on the crystals vs using the grinder. Easier to catch those before you consume.

(Consensus is Politics) #15

Aye… give the wee lass a pint on me :cowboy_hat_face:

I filled out a product complaint form on the companies website. After two months still hadn’t heard from them. So I called the phone number on the container Andy left a voice mail. A young lady returned my call the same day. Appoliged profusely, and sent me a $5 gift card :roll_eyes:.

I was lucky I didn’t chew on it or swallow it. Ingesting glass shards can be fatal.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16
  • If you have high blood pressure, be careful. There is a serious risk of getting too much.

• If you have normal high blood pressure, your risk of developing cardiovascular problems does increase with the level of salt intake, but it’s a slow rise.

• Whether you have normal or high blood pressure, too little salt can quickly become harmful.

This is all according to the PURE study out of McMaster University. Andrew Mente’s presentation about it to Low Carb Breckenridge 2018 was uploaded onto YouTube recently, and there is a link to the video in the LC Breck 2018 thread. He displays all the graphs, plus comparisons with the results of other recent studies.

ETA: My guess is that on LCHF/keto, the risk of too much salt is lower, simply because we are excreting sodium at a higher rate. I doubt very much that any significant percentage of PURE participants were low-carb at all.

(less is more, more or less) #17

<mouth agape> It makes sense now that you write it, that non-salt gets in salt. That doesn’t mean I have to like it.

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep46173

The presence of microplastics in commercial salts from different countries

Conclusions

The results of this study did not show a significant load of MPs larger than 149 μm in salts originating from 8 different countries and, therefore, negligible health risks associated with the consumption of salts.

(Lindsey) #18

I’m not surprised by microplastic, even though it’s alarming, but glass is on a whole other level.

My salt is pre-ground, but I did have a weird bit in it a couple of weeks ago that was plasticky. :unamused:

(Lindsey) #19

Do most of you take supplements? Or just rely on salt?

(Lindsey) #20

Are you in the UK? I found Zipfizz on Amazon but it was really expensive. I used to like Berocca but have stopped using it since going keto because it contains glucose. :frowning:

(LeeAnn Brooks) #21

Nope, I’m here in the states.

If you are a member, see if it’s avaialable to you on Costco.com. We have it the cheapest I’ve been able to find.

If not, someone recommended High5 zero, which I believe is more available outside the states.