Eggsperiment mkII - big improvement

(Running from stupidity) #41

negative is underdone, positive is overdone. I need to graph it out, but the brain is not CLOSE to doing that today :slight_smile:

Most excellent system :face_with_monocle:

So… um… forgive the obvious questions, but:

Are you weighing your eggs to make sure they are exactly the same size?
And
Are the raw eggs all going into the sous vide at exactly the same temperature?

(Running from stupidity) #44

No, because there’s no point. I buy the same size eggs (700g/doz) from the same place each week, so that’s as close as I’ll get to standardised.

Are the raw eggs all going into the sous vide at exactly the same temperature?

Yeah, straight out of a 4C fridge for the sake of consistency.

(Running from stupidity) #45

73C/15m

These were pretty good. The LH egg was cracked immediately after being removed from the sous vide, while the RH one was left in the empty sink while I transferred the other food to the plate, then it was cracked to see what the carryover cooking did. It was better.

You can see the centre of the yolk in the RHE is liquid.

I should say I’ve underexposed these deliberately in order to show a little more detail in the whites :slight_smile:

(Running from stupidity) #46

OK, today.

Same as yesterday @ 73C/15m.

I set the sous vide to 74C, then once it got to temp set it to 73C/15m and put the eggs in.

Immediately took the eggs out on completion of the time, and let them sit in the sink while I put the bacon and steak on the plate.

Then I cracked the right one and put it on the plate - not bad. Then the LH one, and this time to crack it I gently tapped it all the way around the circumference then popped it open - MUCH better.

I’m pretty happy with this. I dragged Cha upstairs to have a look and she declared them to look very edible.

(Jane) #47

I posted this on the food thread but wanted to comment here.

Never eaten an egg like this. Yolk was creamy! Had to get a spoon to eat it with as the whites were a bit too thin for a fork.

I cooked the eggs at 164F for 15 minutes.

(Running from stupidity) #48

OK, so this was bloody annoying.

These were great - whites set, yolks oozy but not runny. VERY creamy.

Problem is that I’m not sure EXACTLY how I managed it.

They were cooked at 74C for 15minutes.

As usual I put it up to 75C initially to allow for the eggs going in at fridge temp (4C).

However, I usually turn it down to 74C immediately and forgot, and so that took a couple of minutes before I realised. They might have been in for a little less time than 15m as I forgot to reset the timer after walking from my PC to put the eggs in once it beeped that it was ready.

Obviously in the ball park, though They were great.

(Running from stupidity) #49
Variable amount
Deg C 74
Minutes 15

So I set the sous vide to 75C, put the eggs in once it got to temp, let it go a couple of minutes and then turned it down to 74C.

Took them out dead on the expired time, and emptied them out of the bag into the sink.

Immediately cracked open the RH egg, and it was basically perfect - white nicely set, yolk awesome, visually very pleasing.

Then about 30 seconds later I cracked open the LH egg, and it was bloody hot and so once I had cracked it, while putting it on the plate I lost my grip on it and it fell onto the plate. That might be why the yolk basically escaped from the white. Whatever, I screwed up the eggsperiment, so I’ll repeat it at lunchtime (i.e. about now :slight_smile:

As you can see, the yolk is great - creamy and oozy without being runny.

(Running from stupidity) #50
Variable amount
Deg C 74
Minutes 15

So I set the sous vide to 75C, put the eggs in once it got to temp, let it go a couple of minutes and then turned it down to 74C.

Took them out dead on the expired time, and emptied them out of the bag into the sink.

Immediately cracked them open and they basically perfect - white nicely set, yolk awesome, visually very pleasing. BOTH of them this time, because I didn’t screw up the opening of the shell.

BUT - I want to get it to work at ONE temperature, not with the two-minute thing, so more eggsperiments await tomorrow.

#NOTOBSESSED

However, one did crack longways when I put them in the sink, so I decided to see if they could be opened along the long axis. Answer - yes they can be, but it’s a stupid way to do it.

This LOOKS too runny, but it really wasn’t. I was trying a new lens and so it took longer than usual to shoot this so it ran it bit, but it was actually better than it looks.

That yolk looks perfect to me :drooling_face:

(Running from stupidity) #52

Oh yeah, very happy with it, it just looked better a minute earlier :slight_smile:

I want to try another now, but that would be silly :slight_smile:

Not if it’s #FORSCIENCE :sunglasses:

(Running from stupidity) #54

Yeah, even then :slight_smile:

(Jane) #55

So you cook them in a bag? What kind do you use?

(Running from stupidity) #56

(I don’t bother with the peg these days. I was overly-cautious back then :slight_smile:

I initially bought these for straining my ghee through, and they’re great for that, but also work really well for the eggs :slight_smile:

(Running from stupidity) #57

I also reinforced the wall of the container, so the Anova now sits up straight and doesn’t look like it was built by incompetent Italians 600 years ago :slight_smile:

(Jane) #58

I should use a smaller container like that the next next time I sous vide eggs. I just used my tub with the lid and it takes a while to get the water up to temp.

(Running from stupidity) #59

Yeah, that’s why I went out and bought this one for $3.50 or something. Quicker and cheaper.

(Running from stupidity) #60

Same as the last few times - 74C @ 15 minutes, with the first couple of minutes @ 75C.

Seriously, good.

I did them at the same temp/time again, as I hadn’t done them for a few days, and I wanted to check it again.

Tomorrow, I think I need to heat it to 75, then immediately upon putting the eggs in, turn it down to 74. See how that goes.

But I’ll tell ya, if I’d ever had eggs like this as a kid I wouldn’t have hated them like I did for the last 50 or so years.

What did you Keto today? Part Deux!