Eggsperiment mkII - big improvement

(Running from stupidity) #61

Yes indeed.

74C @ 15 minutes, but set the temp to 76C and reduced that to 74C when I put them in.

I’ll try setting it at 77C initially at lunch (i.e. soon).

(Running from stupidity) #62

Probably a good thing I had a little break from eggs over Christmas/NY, but I think I’m just about there with this recipe.

I’d be happy with this morning’s as is, but you never know, it might be better at some other setting…

(Running from stupidity) #63

15m @ 74C

Initially set to 77C, made no real difference as you’d expect.

I might try 13m @ 75C again, see how that goes. It wasn’t great last time, but that was a while back and I want to confirm :slight_smile:

(Running from stupidity) #64

This is the system I’m pretty much using.

74C @ 15m. Start at 80C then drop it to 74C when the eggs go in.

It’s a shame the Anova Android app is so utterly pathetic, or I’d try leaving the temp at 80C for a couple of minutes, but I’m guaranteed to forget to change it if I don’t change it when I put the eggs in.

(Jane) #65

Do you start at 80C because the eggs are cold and lowers the temp when you put them in? Or another reason?

That egg looks perfect!

(Jane) #66

I need to try it out in a small pot next time. My sous vide tub takes a lot of water to get above the minimum circulation level so takes what seems like forever to get to 80C.

But for a short cook time there is minimal evaporation so an open top pot will do just fine for a few eggs.

(Running from stupidity) #67

Partly, but also partly to give the white a higher temp whack in order to get it to set while leaving the yolk runny.

It’s ALMOST perfect - the white could be a little more set, but that might happen if I let it sit in the sink for another minute after I fished it out. The yolk is great, crazy creamy, but changing one variable affects both, so it’s a balancing act :wink:

(Running from stupidity) #68

Yeah, there’s a pic somewhere (maybe the first egg thread) of my setup for eggs in a small plastic container (3L, IIRC).

(Jane) #69

That’s what I was thinking about. My tub with the lid that fits my sous vide needs 6L of water to circulate and I sure don’t need that much water for 4 eggs.

I think I’ll surprise my husband and cook breakfast tomorrow and make them. I may even toast some mug bread in butter and make an eggs Benedict for him if I have the other stuff.

(Running from stupidity) #70

Yeah, 4 eggs does fine in my 3L setup.

Mmmm, I might have some Eggs Benedict for lunch…

(Jane) #71

Just looked in the freezer and fridge - no sliced ham. So will sub bacon instead. How terrible! :laughing:

(Running from stupidity) #72

Yeah, losing all round :slight_smile: