Dry Fasting. Is there any science to this?

(Borgia) #174

There is a breathing and training method created by Wim (Veem) Hof, wherein one is able to survive ice water immersion and even water deprivation. He holds many world records related to cold, including climbing Everest and Kilimanjaro in shorts. He did a desert run without water. You can find a lot about him on YouTube. I think his method gave me back my quality of life while having afib and high heart rate. I think the breathing portion of his method is great for one’s overall health, charging the mitochondria and making the cells more alkaline. There have been studies of his method.

(Richard Hamilton-Gibbs) #175

When anybody tells me they have some program like this, I tell them “Quote your sources”. There are thousands of clinical trials out there (have a look at pubmed.gov) and if there aren’t any studies that confirm a suggested therapeutic path, RUN AWAY! :slight_smile:

Metabolically, this is absolute rubbish. It’s like saying “drain all the oil out of your car and rev the engine”. You’ll burn more gas as the engine gets less and less lubricated, but it’s not a good way to increase fuel consumption.

Our bodies rely on correct hydration to perform all our metabolic functions, and overriding the hydration mechanism is simply dumb and dangerous. And as you dehydrate your engine, your energy production will be less optimal: you won’t be burning as much energy.

You may find Pranayama Yoga interesting.
Yogis have been doing that kind of thing, with expertise, for millennia. It is amazing what control we can achieve over our autonomic nervous systems, with a bit of application.
And no need for hats :wink:

That’s a useful study - FWD by the way is Food & Water DEPRIVATION, not restriction. So it definitely is dry fasting as it says in the full text of the study.

And they specifically mention dry fasting…

5 days of FWD contain a triple risk: hypovolemia, hypertonicity, and hypoglycemia. However, our participants have tolerated the dry fasting well and none of them showed hypotension or any noteworthy disorder in HR, SatO2, electrolyte concentration, serum osmolality, and glucose level. It seems that a potent hormonal and nervous contra-regulation results in the effective management of FWD risks.

Correct, it does not compare dry to water fasting, it’s a study on the impact of dry fasting on body measurements and vitals.

The fact that it’s only 10 people doesn’t mean much - you’re not going to find large double-blind studies on dry fasting given that there is little commercial gain to be made from such a study. We have to make do with what we have.

(Irian) #178

Ah yes, those are nice abs … I just turn of the sound, because that is distracting from the visuals so I have no idea how qualified his opinion may be … :joy:

And to inject some more abs and lightness into this tread: http://www.emilywrites.co.nz/i-saw-tarzan-and-this-is-my-review-after-some-wines/ - I quote: “Ok so I don’t know what the plot is or who is in it other than Alexander Skarsgard and Alexander Skarsgard’s magnificent holy abs. I don’t know what the dialogue or acting is like or whatever.”

Yes, exactly that. And no annyoing attempt to distract anyone with science or pseudo-science or whatever either. :heart_eyes:

(Anti-Gravity Gains) #179

I am about 12-14% BF and exercise alot. I haven’t found solid science in it yet that convinces me that a 1:3 dry to water fast ratio is accurate. But if I waited around for solid 100% scientific proof on everything, 1/2 of my wellness gains would not have come to fruition. I did a 36.5 hour dry fast followed by water and salt until 44 hours. Felt great up to about 20 hours then tired. I lifted weights at 40 hours and had no issues. (2nd day, 2nd wind experienced much like it does for me that 2nd morning on water fasts). Broke water fast with broth and then trickled in some calories followed by a good sized meal. Followed all this up with another 18 hour dry fast which included a 6 mile run at 10 hours dry fasted. Dare to experiment. 14-20 hours dry fasting is probably not the riskiest thing in the world. But as always, check with your doctor, your mother-in-law, your dog, etc before doing anything.