Dry Fasting. Is there any science to this?

(Guillermo Rodriguez) #1

Friend passed me this video

TL;DW Dry Fasting for 24 hours gives the same effects as EF for 72. So abstain from all consumption and contact with water as well as food for 24 hours. Video is heavy on graphics and flash and really light on the science.

Does this look legitimate or is this BroScience? Anyone have experience with this? I dislike the lack of info on the “rebound effect”.

(Keto in Katy) #2

I’m doing a 10-second oxygen fast tomorrow. I hear it’s super refreshing.

(Rob) #3

Pah! I have gone as long as 15 or 16 seconds, without even trying!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I can go hours without thinking. It’s easy. :yum:

(Rob) #5

When someone with that many visible abs tells me to do something… I must comply! :flushed:

(Rob) #7

I too have grudgingly liked his videos (a bit). Isn’t dry fasting like cutting that boxers and bodybuilders do before weigh-in/competition? What I don’t understand is how is that fat burning?
If it does burn fat, I would deffo try it.

Update - I just watched it. I think I will try it. It seems pretty easy to quit :smile: :cup_with_straw:

(What The Fast?!) #8

The Snake Diet Guy is also a big proponent of dry fasting.

(Allie) #9

Wouldn’t even want to try it, bodies need water. Dr Fung & Megan Ramos do not agree with dry fasting either.

(Rob) #10

Good points but doctors not agreeing and being dangerous are 2 different things. If I were a doctor I wouldn’t advise people to do anything that has even a sniff of a catastrophic risk even if 99.9% of people would be fine. IDM could not handle a 1 in 1000 major problem rate or even 1 in 10000 - the reputational risk would be too high.

Of course we need water but as with everything, context is king. We need oxygen too but at the wrong dose, O2 and H2O are acutely toxic and will kill you.
The video cites some basic biochemistry that shows how the body can make its own water for a short period like 24 hrs out of basic fat substrates IIRC. Sounds pretty plausible.

(Erin Macfarland ) #12

Did you work out when you dry fasted? This is really interesting!

(Michael ) #13

I love thomas delauer but was disappointed with this. He doesn’t advocate doing it but makes it sound really attractive. Proceed with caution people; pretty easy to die without water. I would recommend the 3 day fast vs. 1 day dry fast, but if people want to live on the wild side, be careful and listen to your body

(Chris) #14

I was in a splint for my tendon surgery at the time, so I was not working out at all aside from one handed chores. :slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

Richard Foster, in his book, A Celebration of Discipline, devotes a chapter to fasting. Granted, the context is religious, but he has some solid practical advice, nonetheless. The Christian tradition considers three days to be the absolute limit for a complete fast (i.e., no water, as well as no food), and forty days to be the limit for fasting with water intake. Past these limits, you are no longer engaged in a beneficial practice, but in self-abuse, if not actual suicide.

(Leeanne Denton) #16

Christ, I can’t even go 2 hours without a drink!

(Rob) #17

I did 18 hours and could have gone longer with no obvious ill effects. Didn’t feel weird but might have done if I’d gone to 24. I forgot not to drink :grin:

(Brent) #18

I plan to go on a 42 hour hard dry fast immediately followed by a water only fast. I haven’t decided yet on exactly how long i’ll fast in total but planning anywhere from 5-12 days depend on how I feel. Hopefully its not crazy difficult!!

(What The Fast?!) #19

I’ve heard a lot of anecdotal evidence that dry fasting is effective for skin tightening and other things from people who have tried dry fasting. I’m thinking of doing a 24 soft dry fast then continue on with a few days of water fasting. I had my last sip 45 min ago, so I guess we’ll find out how badly I want that cup of coffee in the morning…

I think it’d be fairly easy and safe to do an alternate day, dry and water only EF. Maybe I’ll try it…

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #21

There was some research last year I think that worked out what ultimately happens to the molecules in fat when they go through all their various stages of breaking down and eventually leave your body. It was 84% leave as CO2 and 16% H2O… So I guess you’re making water when you’re breaking down fat.

(What The Fast?!) #22

I’m 13 hours into my first dry fast. I skipped my AM workout this morning as I figured that was a bad day without water. It’s supposed to be 70 degrees today and I’m itching to get on my bike…so may have to cut it short. We’ll see what happens!